Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
@Taiko Audio , Hi Emile,

Do you plan to contact other DAC manufacturers who might want to integrate the new interface?

I'm thinking of Soulution Audio.

Not only because I own a Soulution system, but also because they are quite receptive to advances like yours.

The topology of their amplifiers goes against what is being done. And to a certain extent, their DAC too (especially the 7 series)

There is a growing demand for a system which allows Roon to be used in the best possible conditions. The Extreme is one of the best options, if not the best.

Cyrill Hammer, the director, is really friendly and easy to talk to.

That was addressed here: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...-crème-de-la-crème.27433/page-689#post-843913

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Providing 100Mbit ports is a "trick" employed by various "audiophile" switches. For a lot of, usually lower priced, servers this can provide "better" sound quality. This does not apply to the Extreme though, and most likely neither to other servers with ample processing power on board.
I feel like my experience is different with my Melco S-100. I have tried connecting the cable that comes from the Router and the cable that goes to the Extreme at 1Gb, the cable that comes from the Router at 1 Gb and the cable that goes to the Extreme at 100 Mb and the cable that comes from the Router at 100 Mb and the cable that goes to the Extreme at 1 Gb. My preference is the cable that comes from the Router and the cable that goes to the Extreme at 100 Mb. Perhaps another person listening to my system would prefer another combination, who knows.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Still waiting for the sample to return! This is basically a good example of why we want to move towards doing everything in house.
Frankly, I think you would have saved yourself a lot of trouble and R&D cost (which ends up in price) by making only one type of finish for the Switch.

Reactions: adyc

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Frankly, I think you would have saved yourself a lot of trouble and R&D cost (which ends up in price) by making only one type of finish for the Switch.

I guess you haven't read the posts of some people not liking copper due to the chance of tarnishing, some people only wanting black, some people liking the shine of chrome... ;)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Haha, there is no significant other in my case… how would I otherwise be able to afford all that gear in the first place!
Hifi hobby, and significant other halves, CAN coexist.
And yet they say cold fusion is the trickiest problem to solve...

jelt2359

Nov 17, 2020
Well you don't HAVE to remove them, you should however definitely check if they don't deteriorate sound quality. The Router "routing" your network where your music server resides is the one defining your network parameters and has the largest impact over preceding routers, at like 90%.
Thank you Emile! Super clear.

Reactions: Taiko Audio

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
@Taiko Audio , Hi Emile,

Do you plan to contact other DAC manufacturers who might want to integrate the new interface?

I'm thinking of Soulution Audio.

Not only because I own a Soulution system, but also because they are quite receptive to advances like yours.

The topology of their amplifiers goes against what is being done. And to a certain extent, their DAC too (especially the 7 series)

There is a growing demand for a system which allows Roon to be used in the best possible conditions. The Extreme is one of the best options, if not the best.

Cyrill Hammer, the director, is really friendly and easy to talk to.

Absolutely, just talked to Stavros of Aries Cerat, he's interested as well. I would like to make a request though to all of our readers here to not contact your DAC manufacturer to request adoption. I understand the enthusiasm surrounding this project but this can be counter productive to the process. We have a very clear view of the DACs used by our customers and we'll contact the manufacturers ourselves in a timeframe which works for us.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
I guess you haven't read the posts of some people not liking copper due to the chance of tarnishing, some people only wanting black, some people liking the shine of chrome... ;)
Oh yeah, I've read them all, but I wasn't thinking about what people wanted, I was thinking about what it might mean for the manufacturer to have opened the Pandora's box of multiple designs. There is a standard chrome model, another black, another copper, others want it imitating the silver finish of the Extreme...

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain

Di-fi

Feb 17, 2021
Oh yeah, I've read them all, but I wasn't thinking about what people wanted, I was thinking about what it might mean for the manufacturer to have opened the Pandora's box of multiple designs. There is a standard chrome model, another black, another copper, others want it imitating the silver finish of the Extreme...
Hi @nonesup ,
Maybe you mix up design and finish of a product. The R&D and design are already done before the different finish options are applied (not in-house). Different colour options do not change anything regarding the design, think iPad. But they very likely help sell more items.
Contrary to Apple, since selling lower volumes @Taiko, they could even charge a different price or premium for each finish option. So it becomes ”not an issue at all“ because the customer pays.

I would not worry about it and trust Emile how to run his business
(also regarding whatever he decides how to call the ”switch thing“) ;-).

Happy reading, it’s a great thread!

Last edited:

Sun King

Mar 3, 2021
Hi Emile, Is there any update on when XDMS beta will be released? I gather from this forum that the alpha users are pretty happy with the current version, so I am wondering if there are some specific issues waiting to be resolved before beta release? What do alpha users think?

Reactions: marty

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hi Emile, Is there any update on when XDMS beta will be released? I gather from this forum that the alpha users are pretty happy with the current version, so I am wondering if there are some specific issues waiting to be resolved before beta release? What do alpha users think?
I'm not Emile but watching the daily changes it sure looks as if they are getting close. I think they want to get it out of alpha and into beta before they open it to everyone waiting as this would create a big strain on what they are doing to get it out of alpha. I have to admit watching Ed, Christiaan, Pavel, dminches, austinpop and catman6, and oldmustang working on the metadata fixes, and seeing indeed how things are falling into order I would hope it will find its way into beta fairly soon. We are so lucky to have a Taiko team and members so knowledgeable to help resolve the metadata issues. Again kudos to all involved

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
The price increase for other than chrome finish takes care of the extra time and costs.

Steve Z

Reactions: Taiko Audio

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The price increase for other than chrome finish takes care of the extra time and costs.

Steve Z
Steve, I forgot to include you in the list of our member experts helping with the metadata issues. So kudos to you as well

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Steve, I forgot to include you in the list of our member experts helping with the metadata issues. So kudos to you as well
Steve, you are too kind. The others you named are doing the real nitty-gritty work; I'm just adding what value I can, mostly by offering up my Extreme to run various sub-sets of XDMS and poking around to see what I can break.

You got the "expert" part right for me though, if by expert you mean the mathematical quantity X being an unknown and a spurt being a little water under pressure -- I'm the poster child of an unknown drip under pressure!

Steve

Sun King

Mar 3, 2021
I know my question is like the classic one of the kids from the back of the car asking ’are we there yet?’ when you’ve hardly left the driveway on a long drive. But still, I have to ask!

Like the kids I’m excited to get there.

Last edited:

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Steve, you are too kind. The others you named are doing the real nitty-gritty work; I'm just adding what value I can, mostly by offering up my Extreme to run various sub-sets of XDMS and poking around to see what I can break.

You got the "expert" part right for me though, if by expert you mean the mathematical quantity X being an unknown and a spurt being a little water under pressure -- I'm the poster child of an unknown drip under pressure!

Steve
One never knows, if I ever have Propulsion Questions Steve you would be my "go to". Perhaps if I venture into kinetic sculpture? That could be dangerously fun!

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing