Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
$500 later and 50 or 60 albums downloaded from Qobuz now I am a file only listener.

It’s hard for me to believe that I change religions so quickly. Very fickle, but very happy.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
$500 later and 50 or 60 albums downloaded from Qobuz now I am a file only listener.

It’s hard for me to believe that I change religions so quickly. Very fickle, but very happy.

It sounds like you prefer the sound of local files to streaming?

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
It sounds like you prefer the sound of local files to streaming?
Not even close. I don’t know if it has to do with the new switch, but the local files sounds out of this world compared to the streaming.

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
Qobuz is still in the sales business, offering CD-quality or high-res downloads of many of its titles at competitive prices. Hi-Res Audio 24-bit/96kHz version in either WAV, FLAC, ALAC, AIFF, or WMA (from qobuz website)............so the file format downloaded is a variable

Reactions: oldmustang

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Not even close. I don’t know if it has to do with the new switch, but the local files sounds out of this world compared to the streaming.
It probably was like this prior, and many of you knew it, I just was so into the new music that I found on Qobuz and it sounded really good. I had a lot of files, even DSD but they were not what I wanted to listen to. Now with being able to find new stuff on Qobuz and then if I really like it to download the album for X $$$. Pushed me over the edge....I'm a GONER:)

Reactions: 7ryder and DW101

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Are you subscribed for Sublime? You’ll save money on the downloads if going that route.
Thx and YES I had already been subscribed to Sublime. It seems that the albums, especially with how good they sound for ballpark $10 is good value.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada

I buy most of my high res files from NativeDSD. Try the 2xHD label - it's the best I've heard. I usually buy the native format used to convert from analog to digital (my DAC converts everything to DSD256 anyway).

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I buy most of my high res files from NativeDSD. Try the 2xHD label - it's the best I've heard. I usually buy the native format used to convert from analog to digital (my DAC converts everything to DSD256 anyway).
Thx and YES. I have a few hundred albums already and many from NativeDSD. BUT, my listening habits are more about discovering new music and falling in love with what I discover. I have a continual stream of visitors from around the planet. They all bring a few great Artists or albums that I've many times never heard of. I usually fall in love with a certain group and then that's all I want to listen to for a while. (I used to do that when I was 12 years old with a transistor radio as well:)

Streaming with giving me the max in music selection until now has trumped better sound quality as the streaming does NOT sound too shabby. I would rather listen to exactly what I want to listen to even if it's a notch or two down from the best sonics available AS LONG AS it's still in the forget about the system and get sucked into the music category.

Now, even the non-DSD files, which the great DSD files sound best for sure, but the Qobuz downloads are the perfect solution for me. And I always can listen to a lot of the DSD files that I have if I choose to.

How one's listening habits ie, streaming, files, vinyl, tape etc. are so personal. Sometimes I'm all vinyl for a while or even tape with first gen tapes and then streaming. BUT the download files from Qobuz OR if the files are available in DSD that I want to listen to because of the music, not how good they sound, is the sweet spot for me at the moment.

Who knows down the road with all of the Extreme enhancements coming. Hard to believe streaming will ever get close to the files as with each improvement that allows streaming to sound better, most probably the files are going to jump in sonic performance as well.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Who knows down the road with all of the Extreme enhancements coming. Hard to believe streaming will ever get close to the files as with each improvement that allows streaming to sound better, most probably the files are going to jump in sonic performance as well.
I've learned to never bet against Emile and his promises. He always delivers

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I've learned to never bet against Emile and his promises. He always delivers
Agreed although I still think the files will keep getting better as well, vs standing still while the streaming catches up. Will be interesting to see.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Here's a question, I was thinking that the Switch was making a huge difference, which it does for streaming, but playing local files should not have anything to do with the net card and the Switch, correct?

Btw, the local file playback even using Roon is top tier sound. XDMS is better but Roon/files is REALLY GOOD as well.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I have to admit that I agree. Last week after getting the switch and card I did listen to Roon for a while and the sound was the best I have ever heard Roon. The reality check however is flipping back to XDMS

Reactions: DW101 and Rhapsody

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Here's a question, I was thinking that the Switch was making a huge difference, which it does for streaming, but playing local files should not have anything to do with the net card and the Switch, correct?

Btw, the local file playback even using Roon is top tier sound. XDMS is better but Roon/files is REALLY GOOD as well.

The Extreme "always" has a stream of data coming into it via the ethernet connection. Thus, whatever the switch does to reduce noise and other artifacts would help improve the sound of local files as well.

I am sure Emile can do a much better job explaining it.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
The Extreme "always" has a stream of data coming into it via the ethernet connection. Thus, whatever the switch does to reduce noise and other artifacts would help improve the sound of local files as well.

Thx and I sort of remember Emile talking about it, but was not going to go digging through the thread looking for it. I DO believe since the insertion of the Switch made the file playback sound better, I think significantly, but then I thought wait a minute the switch isn't involved, BUT as you say IT IS INVOLVED, even if not streaming....thx again.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
As I patiently sit back and wait I appreciate the verbal torture you are all putting me through! All of this sounds so delicious!!

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF

The switch reduces noise in processing network traffic. The router will improve things further by reducing the amount of network traffic.

Reactions: Rhapsody

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I was not thinking properly, as I was thinking, why not just disconnect the Extreme from the Network, but you need it connected on the same network as the iPad for control.

I guess you could set up a large queue and then disconnect the Extreme from the network.

Reactions: cmarin

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing