Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

MusicFellow

Jan 3, 2022
I'm +1 for a dual BNC interface for Chord DAVE
… and while we are at it: I would love to see an XLR analog output (although I figure from the photos that there is not enough space) since my assumption would be that the majority of users in these High-end setups use XLRs over RCAs - not wanting to buy another set of 5-10k interconnects. I also understand that the users of dCS, MSB, Lampizator get their proprietary interface.
For me right now it seems wisest to wait and see how much these DACs will be ahead with an proprietary connection vs Extreme analog out into a top-notch preamp.
For ultimate sound quality the question would be: Do I still need an uber-DAC for it‘s digital to analog conversion capabilities or would an investment in a top-notch preamp make more sense? I am speaking as a user of DAC and preamplifier in the 10-20k range - not 50-100k.
… this question becomes even more interesting to me with the BPS: Say I invest 20-30k in the BPS plus xx amount for the analog output, but save 50-100k on the DAC which at least won‘t be able to match the internal Extreme DAC in terms of power supply noise floor, the investment in the BPS might become a lot easier for people.

Whbgarrett

Oct 7, 2019
Yes, you can switch back and forth between having XDMS runiing or Roon running from the XDMS App
Is this now a simple toggle in the app? I ask because last time I inquired on this topic, I was told it was not that simple. I use my Extreme not only as a server for my main rig, but also as a source for a HT system and the distributed audio system for the rest of the house. These other two use cases require roon, but I would love to install XDMS if it is now easy to swtich between that and roon.

Reactions: PhoenixRising

austinpop

May 23, 2017
Austin, TX
Is this now a simple toggle in the app? I ask because last time I inquired on this topic, I was told it was not that simple. I use my Extreme not only as a server for my main rig, but also as a source for a HT system and the distributed audio system for the rest of the house. These other two use cases require roon, but I would love to install XDMS if it is now easy to swtich between that and roon.

Yes it is. Painless and easy.

1685984738921.png

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Hi Emile, Tomorrow I will be receiving a second network card and an RJ45 SFP module in order to connect my Merging NADAC to the Extreme. I will be installing the card in slot 5, replacing the Taiko USB card currently residing there. I will test both switch configurations and let you know what I find. However, when I receive the router will placing the switch between the network card and the Merging still be an option?

Yes no problem!

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
I was just watching Emile’s WBF interview on YouTube. I really enjoyed it. When the Taiko bps was discussed it reminded me of a question. I’ve seen StromTank products in a lot of the Munich High End show videos. How will the Taiko bps improve on existing bps products like StromTank? Is StromTank an effective choice for a Taiko front end?

Well then you have batteries -> DC to AC conversion -> AC to DC conversion , the BPS Extreme skips those 2 conversions, and the DC regulators are optimized for operating directly from an extremely low impedance battery supply (which I’m pretty sure is significantly lower then what’s inside the Stromtank. The Stromtank has a much larger battery capacity so it can power amplifiers etc including all the losses accompanying the 2 conversion steps. So although both solutions employ batteries they’re not that similar.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Hello Taiko, any update on when the black switches will be shipping out?

The 3rd batch of chrome finish switch chassis arrived today, we’ll be shipping those this week. Unfortunately the black finish chassis did not arrive yet, I fear we may be looking towards the end of the month for those, apparently it’s more difficult to get them right.

Reactions: onlychild

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
… and while we are at it: I would love to see an XLR analog output (although I figure from the photos that there is not enough space) since my assumption would be that the majority of users in these High-end setups use XLRs over RCAs - not wanting to buy another set of 5-10k interconnects. I also understand that the users of dCS, MSB, Lampizator get their proprietary interface.
For me right now it seems wisest to wait and see how much these DACs will be ahead with an proprietary connection vs Extreme analog out into a top-notch preamp.
For ultimate sound quality the question would be: Do I still need an uber-DAC for it‘s digital to analog conversion capabilities or would an investment in a top-notch preamp make more sense? I am speaking as a user of DAC and preamplifier in the 10-20k range - not 50-100k.
… this question becomes even more interesting to me with the BPS: Say I invest 20-30k in the BPS plus xx amount for the analog output, but save 50-100k on the DAC which at least won‘t be able to match the internal Extreme DAC in terms of power supply noise floor, the investment in the BPS might become a lot easier for people.

I’d say definitely worth it comparing it to your 10-20K range DAC, with the BPS things change, you could perhaps compare it to even higher priced DACs then. No XLR outputs scheduled just yet, there’s actually a limit to what we can handle at the same time ;) Technically not difficult as it’s more or less just a doubled up output stage.

jelt2359

Nov 17, 2020
Reactions: DW101

joet

Dec 17, 2020
Northport, NY
Yes no problem!
Unfortunately, when I connected the second network card in slot two, the Extreme doesn't recognize it as an Ethernet port. Here is a screenshot of ipconfig from the Extreme. The three ports shown are the two LAN ports and the network card in slot 5. So when I connected it to the NADAC DAC, the driver didn't list it as an option for the connection. (See second attachment)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-06 061547.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-06 061547.png
    147.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot 2023-06-05 185901.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-05 185901.png
    139.3 KB · Views: 14

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Unfortunately, when I connected the second network card in slot two, the Extreme doesn't recognize it as an Ethernet port. Here is a screenshot of ipconfig from the Extreme. The three ports shown are the two LAN ports and the network card in slot 5. So when I connected it to the NADAC DAC, the driver didn't list it as an option for the connection. (See second attachment)

Can you contact support@taikoaudio.com so we can schedule a remote support session to have a look?

joet

Dec 17, 2020
Northport, NY

joet

Dec 17, 2020
Northport, NY
Thank you for the info and the response. The card in slot 5 shows up, but not the card in slot 2. When I connected the switch to slot 2 using the DAC, the Roon core was discoverable by Roon but it was unstable.

joet

Dec 17, 2020
Northport, NY
Thank you for the info and the response. The card in slot 5 shows up, but not the card in slot 2. When I connected the switch to slot 2 using the DAC, the Roon core was discoverable by Roon but it was unstable.
I just tried it again, moving the DAC cable connected to the switch to port 2 from port 5. The Extreme is not discoverable on the network and there is no Roon core available.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing