Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

I just swapped the DAC cable and the Extreme is back online. I think the option of swapping cards is a really good idea to determine whether it's the card, slot 2 itself, or if I installed it wrong (which I don't think is the case.) Unfortunately, it is a major effort to get the Extreme off the shelf (for the fourth time in this process) in order to swap cards. I'm a bit tired of doing it. I'd prefer the Taiko team confirm that this configuration works, and if it does I can go to the effort.

Indeed that chassis is a beast. Hope they can help you to solve the problem asap
ASAP appears out of the question. Not much movement yet. All they've done is ask me if I'm using a gigabit connection, which made no sense in this context, especially given the screenshots I've sent.

ASAP appears out of the question. Not much movement yet. All they've done is ask me if I'm using a gigabit connection, which made no sense in this context, especially given the screenshots I've sent.

Hi @joet ,

Unfortunately this is not a standard use case but we know of 2 other customers who have managed to get this working so it should be possible.

Hi @joet ,

Unfortunately this is not a standard use case but we know of 2 other customers who have managed to get this working so it should be possible.
OK, thanks. Then I think the options are me going to the effort of swapping cards to determine if this card is somehow defective and going down a road of troubleshooting an edge case (which might not be in the support sweet spot) or just returning it and putting the money elsewhere into the system.

OK, thanks. Then I think the options are me going to the effort of swapping cards to determine if this card is somehow defective and going down a road of troubleshooting an edge case (which might not be in the support sweet spot) or just returning it and putting the money elsewhere into the system.
And thank you for your help and kind responses. I'll figure out next steps and get back to you.

And thank you for your help and kind responses. I'll figure out next steps and get back to you.
So after a lot of troubleshooting and swapping, I figured out the problem was the cable. One of the two leads wasn’t delivering power. I swapped cables and all is working now. However, so far, to me, it doesn’t sound any better,

So after a lot of troubleshooting and swapping, I figured out the problem was the cable. One of the two leads wasn’t delivering power. I swapped cables and all is working now. However, so far, to me, it doesn’t sound any better,
I’ve compared the LAN port and the card in slot 5. At first listen I don’t hear much of a difference. For some reason the network card is 1 -2 dbs louder, but it doesn’t sound better. For some reason sibilance is more pronounced on the card. That might change. I’ll continue to listen, however, at first listen I don’t hear much of a difference outside of the volume.

I’ve compared the LAN port and the card in slot 5. At first listen I don’t hear much of a difference. For some reason the network card is 1 -2 dbs louder, but it doesn’t sound better. For some reason sibilance is more pronounced on the card. That might change. I’ll continue to listen, however, at first listen I don’t hear much of a difference outside of the volume.
I suspect burn in / settling in of several days is needed and then the sibiliance will subside, and the perceived sound level will equalize

Patience

I suspect burn in / settling in of several days is needed and then the sibiliance will subside, and the perceived sound level will equalize

Patience
I agree that it might equalize over time. But so far I don’t hear much of an improvement, which is what Emile originally predicted. I’m also going to try the other network configuration Emile asked us to test,

I agree that it might equalize over time. But so far I don’t hear much of an improvement, which is what Emile originally predicted. I’m also going to try the other network configuration Emile asked us to test,
But you’re right. It’s too early to tell. I thought giving out data points might be helpful since this is a corner case you might not have time to test. I’ll continue to listen and get back after a few days. Thanks as always for your help

That's using a second network card, going to a Ravenna based DAC, compared to using the LAN port to go to the DAC. However, it could be the sonic artifacts of the pre-break-in period. I'll listen to it for another few days, keeping it constantly running, and get back. As an FYI when I installed the first network card there wasn't an comparative change in volume.

Reactions: Armsan
That's using a second network card, going to a Ravenna based DAC, compared to using the LAN port to go to the DAC. However, it could be the sonic artifacts of the pre-break-in period. I'll listen to it for another few days, keeping it constantly running, and get back. As an FYI when I installed the first network card there wasn't an comparative change in volume.
Hi Joet, can you measure the sound level with an iPhone app? I use "dB Volume". I can imagine a perceived difference but there really should not be an actual 2dB difference. At least I can't think of a reason why that could be the case. But if there was then such a difference should be measurable.

Last edited:
Yesterday in Oldenzaal was a big day for XDMS Sound Quality. After many months, and hundreds of coding hours, Wilson sent us the test mule of the new XDMS with a changed internal architecture which we have given the codename XDMS NSM

The difference between NSM and the current XDMS is huge. Emile carried out a complete rework of the CPU core allocations to take advantage of the new architecture and then voila, we heard detail, tonal body, layering of texture and detail that we did not know existed on the test tracks. The sound stage was spectacular, wide and realistic with seamlessness and integration a new level. PRAT was superb with flow and swing

In short another big leap up in total realism. There is still a lot of work done integrating the new architecture into the current eco system, but all in good time it will happen.

Yesterday in Oldenzaal was a big day for XDMS Sound Quality. After many months, and hundreds of coding hours, Wilson sent us the test mule of the new XDMS with a changed internal architecture which we have given the codename XDMS NSM

The difference between NSM and the current XDMS is huge. Emile carried out a complete rework of the CPU core allocations to take advantage of the new architecture and then voila, we heard detail, tonal body, layering of texture and detail that we did not know existed on the test tracks. The sound stage was spectacular, wide and realistic with seamlessness and integration a new level. PRAT was superb with flow and swing

In short another big leap up in total realism. There is still a lot of work done integrating the new architecture into the current eco system, but all in good time it will happen.
Neuro Schematic Mode
A never realized, until now, level of connection to the music.
:)

Very exciting to "hear" this. I'm just now getting my feet wet with XDMS. I've transitioned slowly between Roon and XDMS. BTW Roon as I have mentioned sounds very good. Yesterday I played an album Luther Allison Bad News Is Coming in XDMS. No telling how many times I have played this album over the years. It was a moment in which I levitated over to the listening area with mouth open! I just sat there mesmerized. All you true ALPHA testers along with Edward truly need a tip of the cap. If it wasn't for you we would not be at this stage. This is getting interesting and a whole lot of FUN!

Great news! When do you expect that this will be incorporated in a new version of the XDMS backend, so we all can hear it?

Great news! When do you expect that this will be incorporated in a new version of the XDMS backend, so we all can hear it?
There is no scheduled ready date. As Ed mentioned: "There is still a lot of work done integrating the new architecture into the current eco system, but all in good time it will happen".

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing