Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
In my system the lenght of the DAC cable is one of the most important factors.
I should mention not only lenght but the Size of the wires used in that cable.
the longer runs use thicker wires .
It looks this is a very good way to fine tune the overall system balance.

Reactions: RyanTX

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Hi Emile
Did you try to „play” with different settings ?
Some have very deep effect on the final result. QOS, Latency, priority….
To my ears on the Dream Machine pro router the less functions ON the better SQ.
also the security I had to keep on the lowest level to get best effect.
I turned build in switch off and use the 2 SFPs only + one dedicated WAN.

Absolutely.

Reactions: Kris and ctydwn

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
In my system the lenght of the DAC cable is one of the most important factors.
I should mention not only lenght but the Size of the wires used in that cable.
the longer runs use thicker wires .
It looks this is a very good way to fine tune the overall system balance.

Longer cable lengths require a larger wire gauge to compensate for the increased signal loss.

Reactions: RyanTX

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
Longer cable lengths require a larger wire gauge to compensate for the increased signal loss.
But the 1m sounds so thin in my system I cant listen for longer that 30 min.
3m are ok ,but still not as neutral as I would expect.
With 5m and 7m long runs the SQ is so much better and still remaining very transparent and real.

MusicFellow

Jan 3, 2022
Emile, I think you already confirmed this a while ago, but just to be sure for those with limited space: Are the switch, router and DCD stackable without any loss in sound quality? I‘m thinking of a copper / silver / copper finish combo in my case.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Emile, I think you already confirmed this a while ago, but just to be sure for those with limited space: Are the switch, router and DCD stackable without any loss in sound quality? I‘m thinking of a copper / silver / copper finish combo in my case.

Yes, no problem, I would however recommend to take measures to avoid scratching.

Reactions: MusicFellow

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
I am still trying to get the best socket splitter with or without the filtration.
What are the top options ( very best) I should consider to try in my system?
I have 2 separate 5.3 mm2 lines with Oyaide solid cores.
should I add 3 more direct lines ?

I need some experienced people help to make sure I comfort my Extreme and other parts of the system Like amps and DAC.

JMF audio 302
Gigawatt pc evo 4+
Everest 8000
PS Audio p20
Puritan 156

I know some of you used JMF audio after trying everything . Is that an ultimate power solution ?

MusicFellow

Jan 3, 2022
Ok, so with just the stock feet and careful placement (and no sliding afterwards) there is still the risk of scratches?

If so, I would cut out tiny pieces of cloth or microfiber to place between the cover part / feet to protect from scratching not adding any unnecessary awkward looking height.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Ok, so with just the stock feet and careful placement (and no sliding afterwards) there is still the risk of scratches?

If so, I would cut out tiny pieces of cloth or microfiber to place between the cover part / feet to protect from scratching not adding any unnecessary awkward looking height.

Well since the surface is very smooth I’d expect it to slide easy. Tiny pieces of cloth or something like thin rubber or plastic discs perhaps. They can easily be refinished but shipping is not exactly cheap.

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
I am still trying to get the best socket splitter with or without the filtration.
What are the top options ( very best) I should consider to try in my system?
I have 2 separate 5.3 mm2 lines with Oyaide solid cores.
should I add 3 more direct lines ?
FWIW,
I have only one 16mm2 line terminating into a distribution box in my listening room. From there go hardwired 4mm2 lines to all devices. The connection at the backside of the devices is Neutrik Powercon 32A. With this arrangement I never had the desire to use any power conditioning at all.

Matt

Last edited:

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
FWIW,
I have only one 16mm2 line terminating into a distribution box in my listening room. From there go hardwired 4mm2 lines to all devices. The connection at the backside of the devices is Neutrik Powercon 32A. With this arrangement I never had the desire to use any power conditioning at all.

Matt
Thx
I am simmilar , but larger cables are used , 34 mm2 to the main box and 5.3 after that.
There are some noises like a little and low level buzz in speakers and big trafos generate a little humm from time to time so I wanted eliminate that.

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
I am simmilar , but larger cables are used , 34 mm2 to the main box and 5.3 after that.
There are some noises like a little and low level buzz in speakers and big trafos generate a little humm from time to time so I wanted eliminate that.
Yeah, this might be even better :cool:
With full output of my preamp (99dB sensitivity speakers, no music playing) I only hear a slight hiss and no hum at the listening position.

Matt

simorag

Sep 14, 2017
Florence, Italy
Listening thrill of the week, the feeling of being almost on stage, touching the singers is incredible with the latest incarnation of XDMS.

There is a mysterious mix of transparency, see-through layering and physical immanence of the singers which just grabs you by the innermost core emotional means, straight into the story behind the music.

1687001967322.png

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Listening thrill of the week, the feeling of being almost on stage, touching the singers is incredible with the latest incarnation of XDMS.

There is a mysterious mix of transparency, see-through layering and physical immanence of the singers which just grabs you by the innermost core emotional means, straight into the story behind the music.

View attachment 112012
Great music. The LSO, w/ Simon Rattle, is also a great recording. Saw this on stage a few years ago— it will always be my reference for the sound of massed strings.

dzdzdzln

Oct 14, 2017
What material is recommended for placing routers and switches on?Wood, glass, acrylic or other MDF materials

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
What material is recommended for placing routers and switches on?Wood, glass, acrylic or other MDF materials

Something decent, it does respond like any other audiophile device. By now I feel it’s safe to say that the switch and router are part of your system performance and are just as sensitive to the surface they’re placed on as any other device. As the switch and router are “voiced” to be what we consider to be “neutral” that surface can make them deviate from neutral.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
A good, simple, economical, isolation, application: Assuming the devices are on shelfs. A good piece of hardwood, oak, maple, hickory, walnut, any good HARDWOOD. Cut the wood to size that makes you happy. Router the edges, it looks nicer. Half bullnose looks very nice. Adhere cork, 1/2" or thicker to the bottom of the wood. Use a spray adhesive. I like keeping it off of the edge approx.1/2". If you plan on stacking I don't know what to tell you...

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012

View attachment 112012
Bello! L'ho ascoltato ieri sera e sono rimasto incantato. Grazie mille!

Steve Z

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Something decent, it does respond like any other audiophile device. By now I feel it’s safe to say that the switch and router are part of your system performance and are just as sensitive to the surface they’re placed on as any other device. As the switch and router are “voiced” to be what we consider to be “neutral” that surface can make them deviate from neutral.
I plan to put the Taiko switch and router side-by-side on top of a very expensive and elegant shelf -- my Taiko Extreme. Hopefully, that is decent enough. . .

Steve Z

John T

Feb 15, 2022

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing