Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Thanks for the explanation, Christiaan.

Reactions: Christiaan Punter
Hi Emile, I was able to test the configuration you laid out above and found that, at least to me, placing the switch between the Extreme network card in slot 5 and the NADAC sounds about 5% better than placing the switch between the router and the Extreme. Overall, there appears to be a small but noticeable improvement in coherence and separation. To help clarify, the original configuration I used was Eero node -> switch via copper Ethernet -> switch to Extreme via DAC cable connected to network card in slot 2-> Extreme to NADAC via copper Ethernet from network card in slot 5. The revised configuration was: Eeros node to Extreme via copper Ethernet using the network card in slot 2 -> Extreme to switch via DAC cable, using the network card in slot 5 -> switch to NADAC via copper Ethernet. Question: If I want to use the second configuration (switch connecting directly to NADAC) using the new router, where should it go in the chain?
The Router should be "in front of" the Extreme.

Thank you for the reply. So if that’s the case, and the router needs to connect directly to the switch, I can only use the first configuration once the router is in the system. Is that correct? I.e,, the switch shouldn’t be in between the Extreme and the DAC as it is now.

Thank you for the reply. So if that’s the case, and the router needs to connect directly to the switch, I can only use the first configuration once the router is in the system. Is that correct? I.e,, the switch shouldn’t be in between the Extreme and the DAC as it is now.

You could go:

Router -> Extreme -> Switch -> Nadac

Inserting the Router between Extreme and Nadac would not make sense as you already have an isolated network there, and it wouldn’t be easy to make it work.

Thank you. It’ll be easy enough to test router -> switch vs Router ->extreme -> switch. Can’t stress how great things sound. I’m looking forward to the router and eventually XDMS. Thanks for the great products and support.

Will the router ap be 6 or 6e?

As things are looking now neither, we have the following setup running which adds Wi-Fi over USB at a very low power consumption.

IMG_3633.jpeg

We could integrate this inside the Router chassis, ideally adding an exclusive power rail/filter/regulator. This is by far the best solution we’ve tested. We’re just looking at what that would entail / if we can make this work for the presale batch without significant delays. It would require ordering new PCBs but we can recycle most of the expensive parts.

I continue to be in awe of the fact that Emile shares his R&D on this thread while his product is being developed and finalized. That's absolutely remarkable and deserves kudos. As a scientist, I could easily work for you! However, you sir, could never work for me as a CEO in pharma. Our technology would be out before the patents are filed, so unfortunately I'd have to fire you for public disclosure of trade secrets! o_O;)

As things are looking now neither, we have the following setup running which adds Wi-Fi over USB at a very low power consumption.

View attachment 111842

We could integrate this inside the Router chassis, ideally adding an exclusive power rail/filter/regulator. This is by far the best solution we’ve tested. We’re just looking at what that would entail / if we can make this work for the presale batch without significant delays. It would require ordering new PCBs but we can recycle most of the expensive parts.

At least for my Taiko black router, not a problem if it requires a significant delay.

Reactions: Taiko Audio

View attachment 111842

Having a delay to the presale which results in improvement in the router is something I’m betting all presale purchasers would happily welcome.

100% agree! And it’s probably better to get it right the first time even if it takes longer.

As far as Emile trading proprietary secrets all I can say is Taiko is commonly copied but never equalled. IIRC when Emile showed a photo of the upcoming Taikp USB board several years ago it was quickly plagiarized. Taiko however is the gorilla in the room. I love that Emile keeps everyone informed as to the R and D but it seems much of the R and D has come from members' suggestions so as I see it, it's all good as we the users are the ones who profit from it. Im sure all of us are waiting each day to see the alert from Taiko that the new and much awaited back end update to XDMS is ready for download. Emile feels this will be the biggest uptick to SQ to date. So as to the router issue, waiting is not a big deal IMHO

Having a delay to the presale which results in improvement in the router is something I’m betting all presale purchasers would happily welcome.
I do agree!

David's write up is therapy for me !

Thanks David
He's a good guy. I bought my current server from him. Rumor has it, my Extreme will be in the house this week, so we'll be talking Ed!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing