Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

To see if there’s any sound quality difference.
If I don’t hear a difference when I get my unit I will definitely go wired.

I will only use this via wifi so it will not be trying it wired.

when I lose signal which has now become very rare, I power cyle the DCD power supply and once I see the routers green lights flickering I remove and reinsert the DAC cable to the NIC. It restores Taiko wifi instantly

mine works just fine via wifi

wil is not questioning how it works. He is wondering if there is a sound difference using a wired connection vs wireless, which there could be since you can turn off the wifi radio if you are wired.

wil is not questioning how it works. He is wondering if there is a sound difference using a wired connection vs wireless, which there could be since you can turn off the wifi radio if you are wired.
I understand and I am saying that in my system, wifi sounds just fine to me

Definitely. My thoughts on default/default using with the RGN2004 or the G2504 provided great sound and using the TP adapters allowed me to use either tube at the same gain settings on Horizon and my Lamm preamp.

The overall winner so far in my system is the Valvo G2504 for rectifier and Router (alt2), switch (default)...for where it is now and where it will be in a few more days I'm betting will be my best and final setting. Roon still sounds better but I still find XDMS more to my liking, knowing NSM will right the ship

To me alt2 is Default plus

and alt2 is Default minus
Thank you Steve! I tried this setup after your discovery and I also like the sound of Switch=DEFAULT/Router=ALT2. Makes a big difference in my system.

Reactions: Steve Williams
I listened yesterday until late into the evening and this is my final configuration. The sound, transparence, amount of detail and the feeling of involvement was unequaled by al1 in any position and alt2 in the switch position The bang for the buck seems to be with alt2 powering the router and default the switch. Of course we all her differently , have different setups and different rooms so of course YMMV

when I lose signal which has now become very rare, I power cyle the DCD power supply and once I see the routers green lights flickering I remove and reinsert the DAC cable to the NIC. It restores Taiko wifi instantly
So you lose signal and have to power cycle as well?

Me too, actually. It's rare, but it happens.

I understand and I am saying that in my system, wifi sounds just fine to me
I’m sure it does! But we are audiophiles, and we will leave no stone unturned even if it drives us and everyone around us crazy.

I do think it’s possible, with the variability in peoples infrastructure and systems that wired could sound better and vice versa.

Reactions: Armsan and John T
My Taiko router and DC Power Distributor arrived today, a day earlier than DHL predicted.

I've got them playing right now, though listening will have to wait until after the Braves/Phillies game. Don't worry, I turned in my audiophile membership card long ago!

Set up was uneventful other than a couple of self-inflicted wounds -- remembering to take a photo of the underside of the router before plugging everything together, initially trying to use the Admin password for the WiFi password.

After correcting those faux pas I was up on the Taiko Audio WiFi network and logged into the router control panel using 192.168.100.1.

Lots of information to be found on the router control panel, including the new Extreme IP address.

Currently I have both DC power leads plugged into the unfiltered ports on the DCD since I want to assess the sound quality contribution of the Taiko router by itself and also because I put together four load plugs from four 5.5/2.5mm DC plugs and four 10 watt 24 ohm resistors from the junk box, which should provide close to 500 milliamp current draw through each filter circuit -- Default 1 and 2, Alt 1 and Alt 2.

I'll let the DCD cook like this for a good week or ten days of 24/7 play and then start experimenting with different combinations of DC filters.

Meanwhile, go Braves!

Steve Z

Last edited:
What are people's strategy for copying music files to their Extreme with the new router? With the wifi being pretty slow, just copying one hires album took almost 15 minutes. Are people going to temporarily connect a laptop to the router via a wired connection for file transfer?

Reactions: cat6man
What are people's strategy for copying music files to their Extreme with the new router? With the wifi being pretty slow, just copying one hires album took almost 15 minutes. Are people going to temporarily connect a laptop to the router via a wired connection for file transfer?
That was my thought when I get to that situation. Wired from a laptop used to download or rip music.

Steve Z

A very important question. TBD here.

I listened yesterday until late into the evening and this is my final configuration. The sound, transparence, amount of detail and the feeling of involvement was unequaled by al1 in any position and alt2 in the switch position The bang for the buck seems to be with alt2 powering the router and default the switch. Of course we all her differently , have different setups and different rooms so of course YMMV

I've got 2 days of burn-in on default/default. Tonight I'm going to try default/switch and alt2/router.

Here's a thought. What if my speaker system is optimized one way and my stax headphones with another?

• Wow
Reactions: ctydwn
That was my thought when I get to that situation. Wired from a laptop used to download or rip music.

Steve Z

Great. Now I just need to figure out which laptop to use...

May be this has been answered already? Should I get a dedicated iPad/Tablet for using XDMS? Nothing else will be used with this? What is the recommendation? iPad or an Android tablet?

IMG_2088.jpg

Load plugs mentioned earlier -- 5.5/2.5mm DC plugs and 24 ohm 10W resistors. At an LPS voltage setting of 12VDC they give approximately 500ma/6W of current/power dissipation per DCD filter section.

Steve Z

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing