Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

jelt2359

Nov 17, 2020
Is XDMS release anywhere on the Horizon?

Wow - 999 pages! You’ve all been busy. ;)
Doesn’t look like it- there are many day 1 features which haven’t been worked on yet.

Reactions: Malcng

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019
Wow. 1000 pages and almost 20,000 posts!
Thank you to Taiko and all the contributors on this thread.
It has brought great joy the past 4.5 years.
Cannot wait to see/hear what lies ahead and where things may stand at 2000 pages...

Last edited:

Famester

VIP/Donor
Apr 6, 2017
Central Florida - Orlando
For those who have the dc distributor: does your grounding screw screw in all the way? Mine stops halfway, and so I have no tension on my grounding cable which keeps dropping off.
I had the same problem. It turns out they shipped, in my case the switch, with a screw/bolt that is a bit longer. I didnt want to overtighten it, so I was going to add some washers. Instead, I happened to find a replacement screw. You can contact support as they offered to send me a shorter replacement.

Famester

VIP/Donor
Apr 6, 2017
The most difficult part of the A-B-A test was teaching my wife how to switch between XDMS and ROON etc. That was a nail biter o_O
Very brave! I know that I wouldn't have the cojones!

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
Doesn’t look like it- there are many day 1 features which haven’t been worked on yet.
The XDMS build out has been delayed by several months by the need to build functionality to send information on music playing activity to the streaming service. This is done and certified. The focus has returned to getting the Beta release built out.

Things have been more complex than one would imagine due to all of the http traffic being handled by various library packages which sometimes don't behave the way one would expect.

The good news is all functionality bugs we have encounted, we have been able to diagnose and succesfully fix

Last edited:

Famester

VIP/Donor
Apr 6, 2017
Why not just go to the local hardware store purchase two shorter stainless steel allen head bolts?

Total cost less than $2 USD. Even in the very small town I live near there are at least three stores that have what are called "small parts" displays -- bins full of assorted stainless, brass, steel and nylon small fasteners of all standard sizes. Nuts, bolts, washers and specialty fasteners. Just take the original too-long bolts with so that you get the correct diameter and thread pitch.

For those who live in areas where this kind of fastener is not readily available Taiko could perhaps mail a pair of the correct bolts to the affected customer(s).

Steve Z
Steve, this is exactly what I did. I found another bolt that was a bit shorter and it worked perfectly, saving support the hassle of shipping me a shorter bolt. Ted did offer to ship me a shorter bolt, but I found one at my local hardware store. Fred

Famester

VIP/Donor
Apr 6, 2017
It would be nice to have the specs for the new screw. Metric? Length? Etc.
Unscrew the one you have and take it to the store to match it.

Reactions: Pokey77

joet

Dec 17, 2020
Northport, NY
Unscrew the one you have and take it to the store to match it.
The screw that was sent is M6 10mm. There are M6 6mm and 8mm hex screws on Amazon, and M6 8mm Philips on Walmart

joet

Dec 17, 2020
Northport, NY
I finally installed the router and DC distributor and was able to get them running quickly and with little trouble. So far, it t sounds great. I did encounter a couple of things I'd like to call out. 1) While I was able to connect to wifi using the wifi password without any issue, I was unable to log into the router admin console. I tried both a capital and lowercase "a" in admin, and re-entered the password at least half dozen times. There were no ambiguous numbers or letters in the password as far as I can tell. To remedy this, I'm going to connect my laptop directly to the router (when I find the Ethernet adapter) and access the console that way. Will that work?
2) I'm using the same DC power cable to connect the LPS to the DCD that I used to connect to the switch. Unlike with the switch, the connector doesnt fit tightly into the DCD. I'm actually afraid it could fall out. Im thinking of putting a little tape on it, will that be ok? (All of the DCD input connections have the same loose fit.)

jelt2359

Nov 17, 2020
For 1) What's most likely the problem is that an "L" in lower case is actually an "i" in upper case. Try different combis of that (or zoom in and look very very closely) and it should work.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Even if you are hardwired into the router you still need the admin credentials to log into the router.

joet

Dec 17, 2020
Northport, NY
For 1) What's most likely the problem is that an "L" in lower case is actually an "i" in upper case. Try different combis of that (or zoom in and look very very closely) and it should work.
Thank you. There were no l's or i's in the pw that i saw. There's what appears to be a 1. The same character is in the wifi password and that works as a 1. But I'll try l and i

joet

Dec 17, 2020
Northport, NY
Even if you are hardwired into the router you still need the admin credentials to log into the router.
Drats. That's not the case with other routers ive used.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Drats. That's not the case with other routers ive used.

Some routers give you limited access without logging in but to make changes it usually requires one to log in.

joet

Dec 17, 2020
Northport, NY
Thank you. There were no l's or i's in the pw that i saw. There's what appears to be a 1. The same character is in the wifi password and that works as a 1. But I'll try l and i
I tried replacing the 1 with both I and l with no luck. Best I can tell there's an issue with access to the router admin console.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I tried replacing the 1 with both I and l with no luck. Best I can tell there's an issue with access to the router admin console.

Does the password on the bottom match the password on the small sticker that came with the router? That has the credentials too.

joet

Dec 17, 2020
Northport, NY
Does the password on the bottom match the password on the small sticker that came with the router? That has the credentials too.
I've been using the password that came under the router. Where's the other password?

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019
Emile of Taiko Audio told me that he has been very busy to fulfill the orders of SGM Extreme for his Korean customers and he doesn't have time nor energy to start a thread on WBF.
Let me do it for him. :)

Here are some of the spec of the Taiko Audio SGM Extreme :
  • -Dimensions 483*450*180mm including feet,
  • -Weight: 42Kg / 93lbs.
  • -Dual Xeon Scalable 10/20 core CPUs.
  • -48Gb (12*4Gb) custom memory modules.
  • -The 2 cpu’s and 12 memory modules are not shared but split into 2 domains, 1 dedicated to the operating system, 1 dedicated to music related services and playback software.
  • -All storage is directly connected to the Xeon CPU integrated disk controllers, no sata ssd’s / controllers used. Maximum number of drives supported: 24.
  • -400 watt high current powersupply, lundahl chokes, ~700.000uF mundorf electrolytics, duelund pure silver foil bypass capacitors.
  • -Custom Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019 OS.
  • -Playback software: Roon + Jplay, HQplayer optional.
  • -Completely passive cooled, no fans. View attachment 65922
Not to interrupt the current password debugging issue... but thought it might be cool to reflect on the inaugural post now that 20,000 have followed.... thank you @CKKeung! a gift to WBF

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing