Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

@Taiko Audio

Wow, what an act of abnegation!

I hope you get gently to the end :)

Here's an idea: couldn't you add a feature to XDMS or create an iPad app that would send you the Teamviewer information?

It would be one click on the app, or on XDMS, and would save you a lot of time and energy.

I don't know how "scriptable" Teamviewer is, but it would be worth looking into it.

That's actually already there :)

Reactions: Malcng and SwissTom
Unprecedented levels of support and a lovely upgrade in sound quality to boot. And I’m still only on Roon ;)

Because of the cost, I thought long and hard before requesting a home audition of the Extreme because I don’t like to do that unless I am seriously considering a purchase - it’s not fair on the AD otherwise. My research made the decision and the UK distributor (KOG Audio, contact Tim - a great guy) kindly lent me their unit for a good, long run, but the decision was made very early in tbh. Everything that has come to pass since my purchase has confirmed the validity of my decision to buy in to what is clearly not just a product, but a labour of love and an ever evolving journey into who knows where it will ultimately end.

It has been an excellent experience all round so far with plenty more to come. Despite initial reservations, my Extreme has proven to be very good value for money.

Everything that has come to pass since my purchase has confirmed the validity of my decision to buy in to what is clearly not just a product, but a labour of love and an ever evolving journey into who knows where it will ultimately end.

It has been an excellent experience all round so far with plenty more to come. Despite initial reservations, my Extreme has proven to be very good value for money.
Same here. 2,5 years ago I saw Mike from Suncoast Audio getting their unit and my intuition said loud and clearly: This unit seems to be very special (but I couldn‘t say what exactly at that point). Then stumbled on this threads. Read through back then 300 (?) something pages. The key take aways were: Outstanding sonics, great craftsmanship, constant improvement, a more than fair and transparent upgradabilty path AND SUPERB CUSTOMER SERVICE! I had a long phone call with Mr. Politness Edward and never looked back!

Funny side note: When I first read that Emile helped users setup their new Extreme‘s, I thought: How nice, they have a support lady who helps with the installation process. … didn’t know it was the man himself, but related to a French name. (Although it would be Emilie then). Must have been the audiophile hormons that got everything mixed up side down during the anticipation of ordering my own Extreme.

THANK YOU TEAM TAIKO FOR THE PRIVILEGE OF BEING PART OF THIS JOURNEY!

Got my touch up yesterday morning, but haven't had a chance to sit and listen. Finally, with the holiday weekend settling down - - and wow! The sound quality lift from this software patch/update (on top of getting the Router + DCD a week prior) is stupendous! The focus just dialed in on the musical fabric several notches, and with more corporeality and fleshiness. Suspension of disbelief is certainly fuller now. Hats off to the Taiko Team!

I’ve been comparing the new Roon build with the latest XDMS, And to my surprise I’m finding I prefer Roon at present.

Roon brings some more transparency and clarity. Xdms brings more density, but a little looser sounding.

I may prefer default DCD settings on Roon. But, for some reason, with Roon, I lose connection every time I switch from default to one of the ALT’s. I never ran into this issue with XDMS.

I’ve been comparing the new Roon build with the latest XDMS, And to my surprise I’m finding I prefer Roon at present.

Roon brings some more transparency and clarity. Xdms brings more density, but a little looser sounding.

I may prefer default DCD settings on Roon. But, for some reason, with Roon, I lose connection every time I switch from default to one of the ALT’s. I never ran into this issue with XDMS.

You should lose connectivity as when you switch DCD filters the device you switch loses power. I suspect you just don’t notice in XDMS as it has a more static approach in how it connects the remote control to the server. It will not prompt you it lost connection in a very obvious way.

After ordering the Router and Power distributor back in the first week of May it has been a very long wait for me. But finally received and installed today. A mixture of impatience and nervousness while waiting as user feedback over the last month or two was (at least initially)… low key?

I have been using XDMS for months but switched back to Roon yesterday in anticipation of easier installation of the router. Roon sounded ok last night. But, installed the router and power unit in the chain (no issues and quite easy (thanks Christian / Taiko for idiot proof instructions (rigorously tested)) and immediately this afternoon put on some electronica (a mid afternoon pick me up via Nils Frahm and Trentemoller). Wow. Spatial information and bass clearly enhanced. Who knew my network was so dirty!!!!

Emailed Taiko for the recent patch and 10 mins later it was done. Amazing service. Just listening to a few tracks just now and another step forward… note decays enhanced.

Still to play around with filters but color me happy just a few hours in.

Thanks Taiko….!

Thanks a lot for contributing to reclusive tendencies Emile! Pretty pathetic, I was invited to 3 Thanksgiving Dinners. I came up with 3 imaginative excuses...Couldn't very well say, I just want to listen to my music...

I seldom write, though HAVE read almost all posts on this Topic here.

Historically, have both EMM Labs XDS1v3 ( updated from v2 ) then Nagra Tube DAC w Classic PSU. Running XDMS v81 now into Nagra Tube DAC, and previously Roon into EMM ( Meitner driver ), then also updated manually to Roon v.1353. Also couldn't access any DAC on Roon, kept Audio Device ( DAC )"disappearing",...until I realised that Ed had selected as Nagra Tube DAC as Taiko Audio Device , so Switched Nagra Tube back ON and rebooted Taiko.

Then had to go back to Roon Settings Audio and VERY quickly grab Taiko-Nagra ASIO driver in Roon , activate it, then BOTH drivers (ASIO), and select the Taiko-Nagra . Lo and behold...both were available to freely select between them, within Roon. AND the previous XDMS selected change to Roon ( on Extreme Player settings ) was auto-selected back to XDMS!! ( without me intervening)

Now listening to both Roon into EMM and then Roon into Nagra ( from Roon v1353 on Taiko ), sounds different of course though both better ( system and DACs produce slightly different sound pictures, both great IMO ), and XDMS v81 into Nagra sounds VERY close to Roon v1353 into Nagra Tube DAC w Classic PSU.

Await the new "fix " from Taiko ( Ed ) tomorrow, looking forward to it !!

Anyway, thought I would mention this, as there seem to be alternate ways to solve some problems, but I sure do need help from Taiko a lot with these rapid-fire updates from everywhere .

M2m
Hi M2m, on XDMS/Roon systems, the startup script dictates that the server always starts with XDMS, regardless of your last setting. From within the XDMS app, you can use the toggle switch to switch to Roon. That said, I will make an internal note to see if we can enhance this behavior with a "remember last chosen" option.

Reactions: Steve Williams
Wow
20,000 comments
Is there a TLDR?
Yes, in the shape of Manuals, Guides, FAQ documents, and Product Summary Docs. All downloadable from the downloads section on the Taiko Audio website. Info pertaining to this latest update will also be added to one of the FAQ docs but this is not yet online.

@Taiko Audio

Here's an idea: couldn't you add a feature to XDMS or create an iPad app that would send you the Teamviewer information? It would be one click on the app, or on XDMS, and would save you a lot of time and energy. I don't know how "scriptable" Teamviewer is, but it would be worth looking into it.
That's actually already there :)

There is a section in XDMS - Settings - Tech Support that offers TeamViewer QuickSupport functionality that can grab the TV window contents and mail them to us.

1701091933151.png

ATM, this functionality is still being tested and not yet fully operational. For now, the best way to get support is simply by emailing us a screenshot of the TV window.

Reactions: Steve Williams
You should lose connectivity as when you switch DCD filters the device you switch loses power. I suspect you just don’t notice in XDMS as it has a more static approach in how it connects the remote control to the server. It will not prompt you it lost connection in a very obvious way.
My experience so far is that when I switch the DCD filter settings in XDMS it’s seamless and the music keeps playing. But when I do the same in Roon, the music stops and Roon struggles unsuccessfully to reconnect with server.

May be a workaround would be to switch back from Roon to XDMS before changing filter connection and then switch back to Roon.

My experience so far is that when I switch the DCD filter settings in XDMS it’s seamless and the music keeps playing. But when I do the same in Roon, the music stops and Roon struggles unsuccessfully to reconnect with server.

May be a workaround would be to switch back from Roon to XDMS before changing filter connection and then switch back to Roon.

Hi wil,

That is because XDMS fully caches the track and doesn’t need a network connection to finish playing. Contrary to Roon which will stop playback a few seconds after the network is disconnected.

With local music, XDMS will simply keep playing even if the network connection was permanently lost. Then again, Roon should automatically resume functionality after a network loss, but it can sometimes require a nudge in the shape of a control app shutdown/restart cycle. (Force-quit by swiping up and reopening it normally).

As Emile mentioned above, it is different for Cloud-based music.

Reactions: Armsan and wil
Thanks Emile for the update.
I've been listening to my test tracks for about two hours and if I had to summarize the sound with its most significant attribute, it would be “NATURAL”.
I should move on to Roon to see the improvement with that software, but I'm too lazy to leave the sound I have right now with XDMS.
Congratulations.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing