Taiko Audio XDMS - Extreme Direct Music Server Software

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
So many ways to navigate and select from a music collection, it's bound to take a while for Taiko coders to flesh out all the requested filters. For one who likes buying albums, a filter that shows the 30 or 40 most recent purchases would be hard to live without. I can understand why a record label filter is probably not a high priority for many users but in Roon, I sometimes want to browse my collection of Mercury Living Presence or Reference Recordings titles, for example.

I guess DSD over DoP will be a much bigger coding job. Maybe next year?

Many thanks for your reply, Ed.
DSD over DOP has been in TAS and now XDMS, XDMS-NSM and works very reliably

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Dated added filter functionality we don’t have, need to think about this could be added

Composers and Directors we do have

Record label is low on the wish list

Date added sorting is a very nice feature since very often people want to play the music they just added to their collection. This functionality exists with the Qobuz favorites. It would be nice to have it with one's personal library as well.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
After a couple of evenings of doing the Default/Alternate dance I've come to the conclusion that they are different but both good. Since the toggle doesn't require any restarting or reboot, just a simple stop the playing track and then start playing again after the switch, I see this as something I might use on a track by track basis.

It is interesting that my impressions of each are opposite many of the descriptions here -- I hear Default as more energetic, more forward, very strong bass, can be a bit edgy at times with less favored digital tracks.

Alternate in contrast sounds smoother and more liquid on top with fewer hard edges, somewhat less forward, and while none of the deep bass content is missing, bass doesn't jump out at me like Default does. Overall, Alternate seems more forgiving of any high frequency harshness that may have crept into the recording at hand.

Tonight I've promised myself an evening of just listening to music before I take up the X0, 1, 2 and 3 ASIO adaptive profiles. I did take a quick aural peek at X1 and can say I like it more than X0 but at this time I haven't tried to characterize what I'm hearing, other than to say I want to listen to the end of a track when X1 is selected, not so much when X0 is selected.

Steve Z
Please do share your results on the adaptive profiles, I'm X1, eventually I'll play around with it too...

seatrope

Mar 9, 2017
After a couple of evenings of doing the Default/Alternate dance I've come to the conclusion that they are different but both good. Since the toggle doesn't require any restarting or reboot, just a simple stop the playing track and then start playing again after the switch, I see this as something I might use on a track by track basis.

It is interesting that my impressions of each are opposite many of the descriptions here -- I hear Default as more energetic, more forward, very strong bass, can be a bit edgy at times with less favored digital tracks.

Alternate in contrast sounds smoother and more liquid on top with fewer hard edges, somewhat less forward, and while none of the deep bass content is missing, bass doesn't jump out at me like Default does. Overall, Alternate seems more forgiving of any high frequency harshness that may have crept into the recording at hand.

Tonight I've promised myself an evening of just listening to music before I take up the X0, 1, 2 and 3 ASIO adaptive profiles. I did take a quick aural peek at X1 and can say I like it more than X0 but at this time I haven't tried to characterize what I'm hearing, other than to say I want to listen to the end of a track when X1 is selected, not so much when X0 is selected.

Steve Z
@oldmustang how do you get to these profiles Steve? Are those the powershell scripts on the desktop?

John T

Feb 15, 2022

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Adaptive 1literally lit me up. No desire to try others. I was in 3 until Ed moved me to one and when he pushed play it was an epiphany for my ears
You should try X2, too. A little birdy told me. . .

Steve Z

• Haha
Reactions: Steve Williams

SwissTom

Sep 30, 2021
CLASSICAL MUSIC TAGGING IN XDMS

I was wondering about tag management in XDMS.

I mainly listen to classical music, I have more than 6000 albums.

I've tagged some of these albums myself, but for most of them I leave it to Roon.

I bought not one but two lifetime licences of Roon for this very reason: its extraodinary ability to handle classical music correctly.

I suppose XDMS relies essentially on the quality of the tags included in the files.

So my question is: how do you tag classical music, for XDMS ?

As far as I'm concerned, I use two groups of tags :

--- the historical tags --
ALBUM
ARTIST
ALBUMARTIST
TITLE
GENRE
DATE

--- specific to classical music --
COMPOSER
COMPOSITION (I also add WORK for Roon)
MOVEMENT (I also add PART for Roon)
SOLOIST
CONDUCTOR
ENSEMBLE
PERIOD

VERSION
YEAR
LABEL
CATALOGNUMBER

RECORDINGSTARTDATE
RECORDINGENDDATE
ORIGINALRELEASEDATE

Reactions: simorag and Opabin

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
You should join the discussion on Discord since this has been a regular topic.

Opabin

Feb 25, 2023
Canada
You should join the discussion on Discord since this has been a regular topic.

While I appreciate the desire to avoid the splitting of this discussion to two locations, isn’t this a topic of interest for all users of XDMS, present and future? I would think there are some folks waiting for beta who would like to read or contribute here.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
While I appreciate the desire to avoid the splitting of this discussion to two locations, isn’t this a topic of interest for all users of XDMS, present and future? I would think there are some folks waiting for beta who would like to read or contribute here.
all users present and future are invited to Discord. All of the information is there. Personally, I feel that anyone still sitting the fence is missing out on some exceptional sound

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

I suggested Discord because 1) anyone can join and 2) we are already deep into this discussion of tagging. There is a separate folder on Discord for XDMS for metadata.

lwr

Aug 23, 2016
How have joined discord, but I am not finding the folder that you are referring to. Do I need an invitation?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Reactions: SwissTom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing