Tesla solar and Powerwall to power audio system?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

alfa100

Aug 29, 2014
South Africa
Do you think that you will be able to operate your system just on battery, independently of external sourced mains?
Is there a reason why you ask meaning do you think that Steve would possibly be unable to operate his system just on battery. I’m keen to know cos I am considering the same when my kitty has enough funds

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Is there a reason why you ask meaning do you think that Steve would possibly be unable to operate his system just on battery. I’m keen to know cos I am considering the same when my kitty has enough funds

I operate my system on solar power every day. Simple to understand as when I am playing music my solar production exceeds my daily needs so in essence my DC is rectified to AC current. AFAIK when the battery is used it too is changed by a rectifier to AC current.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

I find this subject very interesting. Inexpensive microinverters as used in Steve solar system are very similar in function to the very expensive mains regenerators being sold for audiophile purposes. Why should we pay as much for such units as for a Tesla car if the solar solution is good enough for Steve system?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I operate my system on solar power every day. Simple to understand as when I am playing music my solar production exceeds my daily needs so in essence my DC is rectified to AC current. AFAIK when the battery is used it too is changed by a rectifier to AC current.

Rectifiers change AC to DC - as far as I remember your solar system uses microinverters to change the DC to AC.

Steve Williams

Rectifiers change AC to DC - as far as I remember your solar system uses microinverters to change the DC to AC.
Have a look at the specs on the battery link I provided . I believe there’s a conversion there from DC to AC

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) I believe there’s a conversion there from DC to AC

Yes, it is exactly the point where I would like to have more data, but the site is scarce in technical aspects. The quality of their products and systems looks excellent - their efficiency and warranty times are fabulous - but the site is written for subjective environmentalists ... :)

Steve Williams

Yes, it is exactly the point where I would like to have more data, but the site is scarce in technical aspects. The quality of their products and systems looks excellent - their efficiency and warranty times are fabulous - but the site is written for subjective environmentalists ... :)
IMO there is no finer than SunPower and as I stated the battery was released only in the past week.Evertyone knew it was coming but none of the sales force have yet to be briefed. Apparently in 2 weeks they are ll going to a training seminar afterwards I expect better answers and a website update

The efficiency and warranty is second to none of the other top tier solar companies.

Mine is 25 years including the roof if the problem was as a result of the solar installation

The panels are rated at 1.22%

Jhellow

Jul 12, 2011
I have run my system off two PowerWalls for over a year, during evenings when solar is not available. The system sounds great on full battery power, although the preamp is battery powered to begin with. When on full battery, the amplifiers are virtually noise free. You can put your ear next to a driver at moderate gain and hear nothing. Ideal black backgrounds.

Last edited:

Xymox

Apr 16, 2019
www.appletvx.com
I have a question... This thread is interesting and lots of great discussion.

So for a system that has a dedicated media room ( high end gear ) and a Sony Laser projector GTZ-380... I want to feed it all clean power. IE I am about to have electricians wire a new house and I am going to make this area seperate feeds from from what I call clean power.

In the past I have used giant 300A Torus systems with all sorts of Benjamin Electric panels and JPS runs to cryo hubble outlets.

BUT along comes solar and batteries. Its time for a new way..

I was looking at the Rosewater system. https://rosewaterenergy.com/products/ But this is a lot of extra capacity for just the system described. I was still fine with it, until, the 84" rack height would not fit in the only place it could go. They make a system that is less tall,, but,, its double the capacity and DOUBLE the price. I was no where near the capacity of the first one and doubling the price and capacity seems just wasteful.

So That started me thinking about other solutions.. Like Tesla or the Savant Power systems solutions. https://savantpower.com/

Plus a few systems mentioned in this thread.

So I want a system that does regen. AC/Solar > DC > Batt > Inverter (clean sine ) > room gear..

I am confuzed by the Tesla systems. Do they do AC/Solar > DC > Batt > Inverter ( like a PS Audio clean sine ) > room gear.. they seem more for back up power IE UPS.. I am unsure yet of the Savant systems. I will check with them tomorrow..

Obviously inverters generate noise. BUT how much is REALLY dependent on lots of factors.

It does seem to make sense that solr could keep a Tesla system juiced up during the day and then the system would not deplete with the right battery capacity.

So what do you guys think ?

Steve Williams

So for a system that has a dedicated media room ( high end gear ) and a Sony Laser projector GTZ-380... I want to feed it all clean power. IE I am about to have electricians wire a new house and I am going to make this area seperate feeds from from what I call clean power.

In the past I have used giant 300A Torus systems with all sorts of Benjamin Electric panels and JPS runs to cryo hubble outlets.

I was looking at the Rosewater system. https://rosewaterenergy.com/products/ But this is a lot of extra capacity for just the system described. I was still fine with it, until, the 84" rack height would not fit in the only place it could go. They make a system that is less tall,, but,, its double the capacity and DOUBLE the price. I was no where near the capacity of the first one and doubling the price and capacity seems just wasteful.

So That started me thinking about other solutions.. Like Tesla or the Savant Power systems solutions. https://savantpower.com/

So I want a system that does regen. AC/Solar > DC > Batt > Inverter (clean sine ) > room gear..

I am confuzed by the Tesla systems. Do they do AC/Solar > DC > Batt > Inverter ( like a PS Audio clean sine ) > room gear.. they seem more for back up power IE UPS.. I am unsure yet of the Savant systems. I will check with them tomorrow..

Obviously inverters generate noise. BUT how much is REALLY dependent on lots of factors.

It does seem to make sense that solr could keep a Tesla system juiced up during the day and then the system would not deplete with the right battery capacity.

Call Sunpower. Oldest Solar system in America and all panels are made in America. Their panels are the ones used on the Mars Rover

Love mine. I haven't had an electric bill in 4 years

You want a system that each panel is on. a microinvertor. There is no noise BUT on a system that uses a single inverter for the system there will be noise

Xymox

Apr 16, 2019
www.appletvx.com
Call Sunpower. Oldest Solar system in America and all panels are made in America. Their panels are the ones used on the Mars Rover

Love mine. I haven't had an electric bill in 4 years

You want a system that each panel is on. a microinvertor. There is no noise BUT on a system that uses a single inverter for the system there will be noise

Yes indeed. I had read your prev posts. I will talk to them tomorrow. That looks really interesting and simplier solution. So a battery system can hook to this ? and then I can run at night with no sun.

Steve Williams

Reactions: andromedaaudio

213Cobra

Aug 27, 2018
Los Angeles, CA

I have solar panels + two Tesla Powerwall batteries. Whether your solar array uses micro-inverters or gangs all the panel outputs into one inverter, you will end up with a second inverter for the Tesla Powerwall(s). Depending where you live and the seasons, solar can easily charge the Powerwall + power your home during the day, after which the Powerwall(s) extend your solar power availability by releasing battery-stored solar-generated energy. I live in Los Angeles, where LADWP determines how much solar capacity you may install based on your prior two years of power consumption, if you are going to remain connected to their grid. So in my case in the winter when we get rain -- IF we get rain -- the Powerwalls won't get fully refilled.

You can set the percentage of Powerwall capacity you want reserved for power outages, so in the evening when the house is powered from batteries, that will end once the reserve percentage is reached. During pending storm expectations, Tesla automatically charges to full from the grid, if necessary, and stops discharging to maintain a full battery for the duration of a storm watch.

I can sometimes convince myself that the hifi sounds a trifle better during the evenings when my house is battery powered, but then even later, ala 2am when I am back on the grid, at can sound even better. So the Powerwall isn't a significant advantage to SQ. I don't detect any real change in powerline pollution from batteries. The solar + batteries system does not create powerline noise I didn't have before. The primary new problem introduced by my solar + Poweralls has been the RF bath I didn't have before. It complicates amp selection more than anything as some tube amps in particular are highly effective antennas for the resulting RFI, routing it directly into both hifi systems in my house. That's the one tricky new element introduced by solar + Powerwalls. I got solar installed first back in 2017. Powerwalls were backordered so there was about a five month period where I experienced the RF problems generated by solar alone. Then the difference adding batteries made was easy to detect.

Aside from the RF shower coming off the panels array over my main room, the now-utility wall where everything is mounted has two inverters, each of which has both cellular and wifi. The second inverter added to the noise-fighting challenge. It took about a year of experimentation and some system reconfigurations to get back to where I was, noise-wise, before putting a power station on my house.

Phil

Reactions: marslo

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing