The 1st SGM Server EVO Edition in Hong Kong

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Francisco,
Fonè is recording with old tube Neumann mics from Abbey Road studios using ADC from DCS and Pyramix soft ( Merging).
The nativedsd.com and Sound Liaison are the only two who give the details of the equipment and native sampling rate.Eclassical give the native sampling rate only.
Here you have an example:
https://fonerecords.nativedsd.com/albums/who-cares

Digital Converters:DCSMastering Engineer:recorded live in Stereo DSDMicrophones:Neumann U47, U48, M49Producer:Giulio Cesare RicciRecording Engineer:Giulio Cesare RicciRecording location:Hotel Il Castello - Palazzo di Scoto di Semifonte, Crtaldi Alto (Fi)Recording Type & Bit Rate:DSD64

My concern is that I see in one of their DSD recording booklets references to Studer C37 and Nagra 4D 20 bit digital recorder - probably it is a different set up for recent issues. Some also come from analog masters.

When buying HiRez I always try to find the technical roots of the recording.

Can you suggest a few 10+, if possible of some complexity, not just a few instruments or voices?

Esotar

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
South Korea
www.digituslabs.kr
SGM 2015 EVO (Cables : $ 1,200) vs Metronome T6 Signature (Cables : $ 25,000)

I let you know this comparison test result.

Korean audiophiles didn't know SGM 2015 EVO.

But I introduced this fantastic music server to Korean audiophiles,

now, Korean HI FI forums' members all focus on SGM 2015 EVO.

The participants who attended my event are twenty.

They listened SGM 2015 EVO and T6 Signature, all visitors are very impressed with EVO.

All participants said finally the time to sell their high end CDT is come~!

Visitors 100% agreed that SGM 2015 EVO is much better than T6 Signature.

50% will order SGM 2015 EVO soon, and 30% will make money for ordering EVO.

20% said EVO is fantastic but they gave up to order EVO because Korean audiophiles are almost poor.

Now, all Korean HI FI communities member's topic is SGM 2015 EVO~!!

Although they are poor, they will order World Best Music Server some time or other.

An Korean audiophile who participate in my comparison test made movie.

The contents are written by Korean, but watch the movie~!

SGM 2015 EVO >> T6 Signature

Here is link :

https://cafe.naver.com/hifikorea/78587

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
My concern is that I see in one of their DSD recording booklets references to Studer C37 and Nagra 4D 20 bit digital recorder - probably it is a different set up for recent issues. Some also come from analog masters.

When buying HiRez I always try to find the technical roots of the recording.

Can you suggest a few 10+, if possible of some complexity, not just a few instruments or voices?
Will send you a private message to avoid OT.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
SGM 2015 EVO (Cables : $ 1,200) vs Metronome T6 Signature (Cables : $ 25,000) (...)

Esotar,

Just one aspect - the Metronome T6 Signature costs euro 9000 in Europe - it is in the low range of Metronome . The Calypso Reference (that I still own with a C8+) and Kalista's cost about five times the price and have much higher performance when paired with adequate DACs.

earlinarizona

Jul 17, 2010
I must have missed it but what is the US MSRP price on the new EVO version and what options are offered?

darkfrank

Oct 29, 2018
There are currently 2 FC cards of interest, a Startech 1Gb SFP card in the USD ~200 vicinity, very good performer with a specific driver and ample burn-in, I'm using it with Startech Single mode 1550nm 80Km SFP modules. The other is a solarflare 10Gb SFP+ card (which can also operate at 1Gb speeds) in the USD 1000-1500 range, that one is much more advanced design with Stratum 3 compliant clocking, ultra low latency and a whole lot of intelligence on board. These features need to be configured to work and I'm still testing it. First impressions are final results are dominated by SFP module quality. Ben of Volent Audio Hong Kong has advanced even further on SFP module testing, he has a whole range in his shop where you can compare them. There's personal taste involved on these, bugger!

Hello, did you try any intel sfp card as well? Like the x520-da2?

Koegz

Oct 29, 2016
systems.audiogon.com
I tested SGM 2015 EVO with JCAT USB, LAN Cards.

The result is bad.

In case of USB, SGM 2015 EVO's mainboard USB port is much better than JCAT.

In case of LAN, I didn't feel difference.

But in case of my idiot diy server, JCAT products make wonderful quality up~!

You will notice how does SGM 2015 EVO is made fantastic.

If you'll order SGM 2015 EVO or upgrade, JCAT is needless.

I also am comparing the jcat usb Femto card with a NikolaS Power Supply installed in my SGM 2015 EVO to the supplied usb. My results are quite different. The Jcat is extremely good. Not necessarily better then the usb provided with the SGM 2015 EVO. Every bit as good if not a little better to my ears. I am sure I will be quite happy with either. Switching back and forth at times I think to my self WOW that sounded amazing! More often it is the jcat I was listening too. I ordered the jcat net card Femto to see if it improves the streaming even more. I normally don’t believe add-ons work. Then I realized everything is an add-on in a computer. I love streaming music. Who knew. I am quite impressed. I have a lot of hd tracks in memory. I am often hard pressed to tell which i am listening too, streamed or HD from memory. My vinyl setup has been sitting idle for sometime now. It’s feeling neglected. Happy New Years.

Last edited:

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I also am comparing the jcat usb Femto card with a NikolaS Power Supply installed in my SGM 2015 EVO to the supplied usb. My results are quite different. The Jcat is extremely good. Not necessarily better then the usb provided with the SGM 2015 EVO. Every bit as good if not a little better to my ears. I am sure I will be quite happy with either. Switching back and forth at times I think to my self WOW that sounded amazing! More often it is the jcat I was listening too. I ordered the jcat net card Femto to see if it improves the streaming even more. I normally don’t believe add-ons work. Then I realized everything is an add-on in a computer. I love streaming music. Who knew. I am quite impressed. I have a lot of hd tracks in memory. I am often hard pressed to tell which i am listening too, streamed or HD from memory. My vinyl setup has been sitting idle for sometime now. It’s feeling neglected. Happy New Years.

Hello Koegz,
Yes, JCAT usb card and network card prerform best when they are supplied by an external linear powersupply.

Please consider to try the Clones Audio Powerstation, particularly the Deluxe version. I have tested many audiophile linear powersupplies and it's one of the most musical ones in the market. The slot-design enables it to supply 2 components, such as your JCAT usb card & network card.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
As far as I know Qobuz does not work with Roon.
They are working on it.

Koegz

Oct 29, 2016
systems.audiogon.com
I received this response when I wrote to Qobuz USA telling them of my disappointment in Roon/Qobuz non cordination.

Hi,

We can't comment on Roon just yet, but we are all big fans of Roon here at Qobuz US. We hope to give you good news at some point :)

Thank you,
Qobuz US

ref:_00D58JmCx._5001t3XCzp:ref

Last edited:

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
Strictly in terms of quality of sound, is Roon 1.6 any better than their previous iterations ?

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
I’ve been doing some listening to 1.6 this morning and music from Tidal seems to have a more immediate presence. Am however using HQP for processing, so others using Roon DSP may have different views.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing