The American Sound Turntable- Beyond's Minimalist!

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
I have not heard the table , but i like the YT sound .
Is stainless steel the ideal platter material then ?
I like the material its very heavy / "almost " timeless
Stainless steel with graphite mat;)
no matter if you use Boston audio, OMA or Audosilente mat the effect can always be described positively

Last edited:
Reactions: djsina2

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Ps i have a feeling a LAMM LL1.1 ML3 could certainly pull me over to the SET camp .
How ever all those tubes require a lot off maintenance i suppose .

If you're not familiar with using tubes, it might seem that way from just looking at the specs. Depends on what is meant by "a lot".

I have the ML2.2 monos and Lamm suggests replacing a single tube (6NP) in each amp once every two years to maintain top performance. You do need to set the bias for new 6C33Cs which is simple as there are adjustment ports and ports for a meter. Once set they are stable. For the ML3, Lamm reccommends replacing the GM-70 every 1-1.5 years.

My LL1.1 preamp (4 boxes) is pretty simple. It uses 6H30s in the control units and a 6X4 in the power supplies. The 6H30 which I also had in my ARC Ref components has proven to be very long lived.

I've not had tube issues for either units. Tube replacement is generally simple, or at least to me it is as I've had tubes in all my gear but for a couple early phono stages. The trick is to keep extra stock on hand.

When Vladimir designed his units, Russian tubes were somewhat unusual and Lamm still says they are the only source for a few pieces. That is no longer true and I've had no problems sourcing from around the globe. Lamm does do excellent testing and burn-in.

Both your choices are excellent, fwiw.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
HIFI is all about resonance control .
TT speakers etc .
The music freq/ vibrations have to be able to to depart unaltered form a stable platform .
DDKs TT proves it Kharma exquisite proves it and Rockport Lyra are all completely stable (dead) structures/ platforms for music to shine on.
It makes time seemingly go slower with much more detail retrieval.

Ps i have a feeling a LAMM LL1.1 ML3 could certainly pull me over to the SET camp .
This is what I don’t get about the ddk approach. Extreme measures taken to have a source which doesn’t impart any vibration yet in some cases old wooden speakers with no resonance control. How can this be natural sound if you’re adding onto and altering the original source material? It can’t be.

Reactions: Argonaut

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
This is what I don’t get about the ddk approach. Extreme measures taken to have a source which doesn’t impart any vibration yet in some cases old wooden speakers with no resonance control. How can this be natural sound if you’re adding onto and altering the original source material? It can’t be.
I am surprised his TTs aren’t made from big slabs of oak or walnut…that would be more consistent…

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland

Well if this is the compression driver / horn DDK uses it might be a different story .
Most of the freq range 700 hz - 8 khz is handeld / can be handeld by this combo.
The horn is probably Cast aluminium and you know how they made things in those days .
Built to last / and they didnt skip on material thickness in those days .
The woofer is also in a frame if i saw correctly .
The wood is only there to limit the acoustical short cut / cancelling i reckon

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
HIFI is all about resonance control .
TT speakers etc .
The music freq/ vibrations have to be able to to depart unaltered from a stable platform .
DDKs TT proves it Kharma exquisite proves it and Rockport Lyra are all completely stable (dead) structures/ platforms for music to shine on.
It makes time seemingly go slower with much more detail retrieval.

Resonance control is interesting. The American Sound turntables manage and direct resonances, they do not eliminate them. Same with the SME 3012R tonearm. If you kill them completely by overdamping, you run the risk of killing the life in the music. The key is to find the right balance. Same with room set up. Not always easy. This is where listening for what sounds most natural comes in.

You can get just as magical a sound, but slightly different, with the Lamm ML2. And you don’t have as many tubes. Ideally, you just need speakers that are over 100 dB and preferably 16 ohm.

Last edited:

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I just confirmed with DDK. He says I am correct. Zero damage with power outage. Only outer edge of platter would come into contact with the base. Both are very flat and solid stainless steel. There is no contact anywhere near the bearing area. If the pump is turned off accidentally, there are safeguards in place. The pump remains on until platter stops spinning, them air supply stops and platter lowers onto base. He seems to have thought of scenarios.
DDK must have got this inspiration from my No. 1s. Every day as I evacuate my bowels, I also begin the slow lowering of my 150kg platter onto the outer rim of my toilet seat. My bearing remains protected and untouched. Sometimes nature shows us the way.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
DDK must have got this inspiration from my No. 1s. Every day as I evacuate my bowels, I also begin the slow lowering of my 150kg platter onto the outer rim of my toilet seat. My bearing remains protected and untouched. Sometimes nature shows us the way.
the question is if you have enough air to get "airborne" again...... :D

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing