The best plug in filter ever!

Republicoftexas69

Just got back into town yesterday and my Puron Filter device was sitting in my listening room. I have plugged it into the same outlet as my power distribution system and will let it ferment for a week before a serious listen. I will be in Nashville next week on business and once I am back I will take the time to do a serious review.

To all have a great week.

Reactions: Long Live Analog

jonathanhorwich

Nov 24, 2010
Chicago
I've had my Puron for a day now. Won't comment on its impact much yet, except to say that it is changing the sound, but so far is less than some of my other grounding and noise reduction products. It is similar to other EMI/Ground products in that the sound is changing in cycles, it will probably take a good 5 days before it is settled enough to do critical listening. I will say that from 8 hours to 16 hours it made a strong change of a wide expansive soundstage, bigger stronger bass, and very quiet background. Then it kind of collapsed. Looking forward to doing more more listening as it settles in though.

@AMR / iFi audio I've had two of your ifi Purifiers in my system for over a year. I just sold them recently. I tried them in many locations, and they made a small difference reducing grain and glare, but other products made a much greater positive difference. I also have an iSilencer+ on my streamer, that makes a nice difference there. Will probably try the LAN iSilencer soon!
Does the break-in times you note include music going through the Puron or just being plugged in and "on."

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019
Tuckers,
Do you have the Puron plugged into the wall where your power conditioner plugs in or is it plugged into the power conditioner?

ozzy

Last edited:

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
I’ve been pleased with the QK1 over the Furutech. So I could compare, the Puron guy put me on a waiting list for the next order coming in, but I haven't heard since.
The Nordost QV2 and QK1 work better together than either by itself, and work optimally in a two QV2 to one QK1 ratio. Contrary to the test above most reviewers have found the QV2 to make the bigger relative impact, and that is what I have experienced. I have three High Fidelity MC-0.5's which do very little as far as I can tell - not sure I'll keep them. I also use an Akiko Triple AC Enhancer, two QK1's, and most recently the Puron - all on a short cord power strip plugged into the same wall duplex as my power conditioner (1st photo). This power strip is attached to the wall via a three socket dongle that also holds two Furutech Clear Lines (2nd photo). I have four QV2's plugged directly into spare sockets in the Bybee Stealth power conditioner (3rd photo). For me the Puron works better in the power strip than directly in the power conditioner, and the QV2's work better plugged directly into the power conditioner. My last addition, the Puron, made a subtle improvement in instrumental textures, delineation of individual notes within the musical whole, and overall clarity. Added most recently before the Puron, the Furutech Clear Lines subtly improved soundstage depth and image delineation. The Akiko Triple AC Enhancer subtly lowered residual treble brightness/etch/glare. The QV2/QK1 combo reduced residual sibilance and electronic signature and provided more lithe and tuneful bass. None of these devices produced more than subtle improvements in my system but taken together the result is more relaxed, and natural sound with improved texture and image "pop" without pulling the musical fabric apart to spotlight particular frequency bands. Except for the Puron, which I just added, I have pulled them out and put them back one at a time to verify their contribution and lack of downside. Too soon to tell how the Puron ranks in effectiveness against the other plug-ins.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_4574 (2).jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_4574 (2).jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 53
  • GetAttachmentThumbnail_002.jpg
    GetAttachmentThumbnail_002.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 52
  • QV2 (2).jpg
    QV2 (2).jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019
I did not like the HF plug ins when using the Puron's. To me there was a conflict, the sound was not as pure.
I ended up selling the HF's and bought more Puron's.
Try the Puron by itself. Perhaps 2.

ozzy

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
I did not like the HF plug ins when using the Puron's. To me there was a conflict, the sound was not as pure.
I ended up selling the HF's and bought more Puron's.
Try the Puron by itself. Perhaps 2.

ozzy
Have you tried two Purons on the same line (i.e., plugged into the same AC outlet)? If so what was the difference compared to a single Puron?

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019
Cellcbern,

There is definitely an uptick in sonic performance when I added 2 Puron's per dedicated line. (I have 3 dedicated lines). Even with video it is quite impressive.

BTW, I too at one time had all the plug ins you mentioned. I removed (sold) all of them and settled for 2 Puron's per dedicated line. Way better sonic depth and imaging etc.

ozzy

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
I might have to try one of these out after all.

Tom

Reactions: hongkongfoufou

Republicoftexas69

Not real sure about my Puron filter. Just okay so far.

Republicoftexas69

Getting better and it has been in my system for a week now. Listening to Ralph Towner and the background is very dark, clear and the soundstage is expansive. Guess I will keep this voodoos tweak ::cool:

Last edited:

Republicoftexas69

update: this is a keeper.

Reactions: Dishman442

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
Results of a few weeks evaluation: Yes, the Puron is a keeper and an inexpensive and easy to try tweak that rewards more than you would expect. I got darker backgrounds with increased detail and transparency with less etch and more liquidity. Bass is enhanced some in my system, and a bit more taught. It does this without messing with the overall balance, it does not damp or darken the sound, in fact reveals more air. And does not impact dynamics/slam.

Reactions: Republicoftexas69

Republicoftexas69

The more I listen the more I think I need to add one more of these filters no?
2 have to better than1 no?

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019
Yes, 2 on a dedicated circuit is better than 1. More than that to me was not needed.

ozzy

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I am having good results with the Ansuz Sparkz plug-in.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
The more I listen the more I think I need to add one more of these filters no?
2 have to better than1 no?
More is better. Just don't expect the results to double. Expect a linear decline in thee amount of improvement.. The negative attributes will increase.
Remember when man solves a problem, he creates another one.

Last edited:

Republicoftexas69

More is better. Just don't expect the results to double. Expect a linear decline. The negative attributes will increase.
Remember when man solves a problem, he creates another one.
I am quite content with one Puron and LessLoss X640 on my DAC.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I am quite content with one Puron and LessLoss X640 on my DAC.
I am using just one filter(iFi Audio on my USB. Rumor is there are those using multiple stacks. It is sort of like Tylenol. If tow is good, then a handful and a beer is better.(dont do that).
I have a different kind of filter which I do intend to stack.

Republicoftexas69

I am using just one filter(iFi Audio on my USB. Rumor is there are those using multiple stacks. It is sort of like Tylenol. If tow is good, then a handful and a beer is better.(dont do that).
Oh please do not mix beer with Tylenol it is so bad for your liver!. Bu I get what you are saying.

Reactions: Gregadd

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
As with drugs (my doctor recommended taking Tylenol and Motrin together for back pain) some mixtures work and some don't; a couple of pills is good but a handful is too many. Experimentation will reveal the optimum number and mix of noise filters. In my system two Purons are better than but not twice as good as one. Their value is cumulative when used with my four Nordost QV2/two QK1 combo, single Akiko Triple AC Enhancer, and Lessloss Firewall CMARC 640X. Ditched the High Fidelity MC-0.5's which I hear no audible benefit from as part of this grouping.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing