The best plug in filter ever!

RikkiPoo

Nov 4, 2020
Look forward to hearing what happens after giving them a good time to settle. I never found the PS Audio Noise Harvester to have any effect in the wall outlet.
I am not a fan of PS audio gear but I found the Noise Harvesters do help but the effect is subtle. I have a dozen scattered around. I have 3 Akiko Corelli's and found these are very good - more were better.
I have an ifi Plug in and am not convinced it does anything.
I have a CAD GC1 and GC3 and those are very very good.
I have 3 dedicated lines, one has a PS10 Powerplant for the digital gear. The second has a Shunyata Denali for the analog except the power amps are on the third line with no conditioning.
My experience so far is no diminishing returns.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Time has marched on and the streaming portion of my rig sounds, oh so good. So good, in fact that I can hear "noise" within my Marantz Reference Series SA-7S1 CDP.
Please allow me to clarify my statement here. I was researching today and I found out that this noise is audible jitter. That's the noise I was describing.

Tom

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
Has anyone tried or found any benefits on video? ie TV or movie projector? I am not talking sound quality but video quality.

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee
@Willgolf - There are comments in a "like: thread over on Audiogon by ozzy and Mark, maybe someone else, stating that it does benefit video quality

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
The Nordost QV2 and QK1 work better together than either by itself, and work optimally in a two QV2 to one QK1 ratio. Contrary to the test above most reviewers have found the QV2 to make the bigger relative impact, and that is what I have experienced. I have three High Fidelity MC-0.5's which do very little as far as I can tell - not sure I'll keep them. I also use an Akiko Triple AC Enhancer, two QK1's, and most recently the Puron - all on a short cord power strip plugged into the same wall duplex as my power conditioner (1st photo). This power strip is attached to the wall via a three socket dongle that also holds two Furutech Clear Lines (2nd photo). I have four QV2's plugged directly into spare sockets in the Bybee Stealth power conditioner (3rd photo). For me the Puron works better in the power strip than directly in the power conditioner, and the QV2's work better plugged directly into the power conditioner. My last addition, the Puron, made a subtle improvement in instrumental textures, delineation of individual notes within the musical whole, and overall clarity. Added most recently before the Puron, the Furutech Clear Lines subtly improved soundstage depth and image delineation. The Akiko Triple AC Enhancer subtly lowered residual treble brightness/etch/glare. The QV2/QK1 combo reduced residual sibilance and electronic signature and provided more lithe and tuneful bass. None of these devices produced more than subtle improvements in my system but taken together the result is more relaxed, and natural sound with improved texture and image "pop" without pulling the musical fabric apart to spotlight particular frequency bands. Except for the Puron, which I just added, I have pulled them out and put them back one at a time to verify their contribution and lack of downside. Too soon to tell how the Puron ranks in effectiveness against the other plug-ins.

Are you using an ordinary power strip for these devices (plugged into the same outlet as the conditioner)? That's what the guys in the Netherlands did. I had wondered, though, if that diluted or changed the effect of each device, as opposed to plugging them directly into the same outlet, or another outlet on the same electrical circuit.

A Puron just came today. I've got it plugged into an unrelated outlet for a few days before giving a first listen.

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019
I have mine as close to the wall outlet where the system (Niagara 7000) plugs into. I have quad outlets on each of my 3 dedicated lines. There are also short AC pigtails that allow you to plug 2 Puron's into one outlet.

Such as; CyberPower GC201 6" Heavy Duty Extension Cord

available on Amazon for $2.95

ozzy

Reactions: Republicoftexas69

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019
All of those will work, but they look kinda like they belong in the garage.

ozzy

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Are you using an ordinary power strip for these devices (plugged into the same outlet as the conditioner)? That's what the guys in the Netherlands did. I had wondered, though, if that diluted or changed the effect of each device, as opposed to plugging them directly into the same outlet, or another outlet on the same electrical circuit.

A Puron just came today. I've got it plugged into an unrelated outlet for a few days before giving a first listen.
My QV2's (4) are plugged directly into empty power conditioner (Bybee Stealth) outlets, with the QV1's (2), Purons (2), Akiko Triple AC Enhancer, and Furutech Clear Lines (2) on a power strip plugged into the same wall duplex as the power conditioner. There is also a Lessloss Firewall 640X CMARC between the power conditioner and PC to the wall (Audioquest Hurricane HC). I tried different mixes of locations - this arrangement sounded best. To my ears the Purons worked better on the power strip.

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
All of those will work, but they look kinda like they belong in the garage.

ozzy
Did you try the filter on a tv?

Republicoftexas69

Ouch what a bad metaphor.

While it’s true that returns can diminish, it’s often impossible to know when one is even close to reaching that point with enhancements like these plugs. With oil in a car engine, returns don’t actually diminish. Either there’s enough oil to keep the oil pressure within the appropriate range, or there’s not and wear starts occurring. Even the loss of as much of quart of oil doesn’t cause returns to diminish (but the oil breaking down can do that).

As far as these plugs, I’m sure there will be a point of diminishing returns. But to caution against more without knowing where that point lies or even how close @treitz3 is, seems highly speculative.
You got the point. Perhaps you would liked me using tribology in my metaphor. And you are wrong with any lubricant if you use to much of it, it creates parasitic drag and resistance, therefore sapping power and the increase in pressure will blow oil past the piston rigs and in non interference engines will blow gaskets and seals. . So really not a bad metaphor. Not enough lubricant causes thermal events, bad too.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
And you are wrong with any lubricant if you use to much of it, it creates parasitic drag and resistance, therefore sapping power and the increase in pressure will blow oil past the piston rigs and in non interference engines will blow gaskets and seals. . So really not a bad metaphor.
The first rule of holes: when you find yourself in a hole, stop digging. Amazing you could take a metaphor not at all analogous to using these plugs - and then revise it to make it even less analogous to using them.

Last edited:

Joenies

Feb 18, 2022
Greetings,
Per Puron’s website it states that you can plug it into any outlet in your house and after X amount of time its effect will propagate thru out your houses electrical system.
Not sure if this is true. Time will tell.
Joe Nies

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019
Willgolf,

Very big uptick in picture quality.

Here is what I posted on Audiogon.

So today I now have 3 Puron’s on each of my dedicated lines.

When I connected up the 3rd Puron to my main system which shares the outlets with my Niagara 7000 which provides power to my Lumin X1 and my tube mono blocks the sound kinda shifted to a much wider but bass deficient sound.

My sub-woofers (4) were plugged into a separate dedicated line via a couple Niagara 1200’s and at this time only had 2 Puron’s.

Hmmn, but once I inserted the 3rd Puron into that line everything locked back into place. So, each of these Puron’s are quite dynamic and when using them with a few dedicated lines like I am using, it is very important to balance them out with equal Puron’s.

BTW, 3 Puron’s per each dedicated line is better than two. Much deeper, wider, more articulate sound and overall, a greater enjoyment to my system.

ozzy

Reactions: jonathanhorwich

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Had first listen yesterday, after 110 hours being plugged into an unrelated outlet. Compared the Puron with a Nordost QK1 I'd been using in same the wall outlet that also has a power cord to a PSA P15 regenerator. The result was a good reason to give plenty of time for burn in. To be continued in another week or so...

Last edited:
Reactions: kennyb123

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Puron vs Nordost QK1 cont'd... By coincidence, the local opera company is staging an excellent Rigoletto this weekend. The mid- or (so far) provincial level soprano playing Giselda has excellent technique, purity of tone and quite the range, hitting one high note after another dead on, up the scale. A real crowd pleaser. It's just that her voice doesn't leave me swooning or feeling for her, with no little to no warmth, unlike her main male counterparts. She brings back memories of the critique of Wynton Marsalis in the 1990's: great technique but lacking soul; all the notes expertly played but w/o reaching the feeling of the music (young acolytes of his took it even further -- technically proficient, boring as hell).

Why these thoughts here? At 302 hours now, the last 13 in the receptacle where it would be used -- see my previous post -- the effect of the Puron in my system is similar: great clarity, pace and deep, clean bass, the best I’ve heard here, but...well, the words that come to mind are dry and flat, if not occasionally a bit sour in pitch. Everything, and I mean everything, has a “cool” flavor or perspective (think Miles Davis), somewhat removed. Its sense of presence is gained from clarity and the transparency of detail not tone. Major keys often don't sound major, giving a sense of being just short of resolving. With Cécile McLorin Salvant's "The Sweetest Sounds" (The Window), there isn't a gram of sweetness. With that, the Puron's great clarity comes without a sense of delicacy (e.g., piano). The Nordost unit does unmistakably bring these latter qualities, but in absolute terms it's not about a comparison but engagement with the music itself (your listening tastes may well be different). Unless a transformation occurs in the next 50-100 hours, the Puron is not something I would want to live with, Nordost or not.

Last edited:

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019
highstream,
So what outlet are using the Puron with?
If it is the outlet that powers your PS Audio Regenerator in which your other equipment is plugged in, this position will not allow you to get the benefit of the Puron.
Try it in an outlet that your Dac or preamp is using.

ozzy

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
highstream,
So what outlet are using the Puron with?
If it is the outlet that powers your PS Audio Regenerator in which your other equipment is plugged in, this position will not allow you to get the benefit of the Puron.
Try it in an outlet that your Dac or preamp is using.

ozzy

Haven't people been using it between wall outlet and conditioner? That's what I've done. I don't really have an open outlet on the regenerator, without adding a short (12 gauge) multi-outlet cord. Still, we're talking about tone and perspective here, which I wouldn't think is so malleable. Everything else is excellent.

Last edited:

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019
I would think that the nature of the PS power regenerator would negate the benefits of the Puron, since its purpose is to regenerate the AC-DC-AC.

ozzy

Reactions: Republicoftexas69

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing