The Dereneville Turntable Motor

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
My new Derenville DAE-02-SP, delivered yesterday at my office.
Rainer has shipped it, in a bullet proof package which contained the flight case.

View attachment 70846 View attachment 70847 View attachment 70848

The quality and finishing level are very high as it was expected. The only issue is the connecting cable which is a bit too long but Rainer has made another one already. Rainer was very kind to include a flat belt too, in order to compare it with my EPDM belts

unfortunately I was too tired yesterday for the installation
Very cool !

Derainer

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
Apr 23, 2011
Germany
www.dereneville.de
I think you are waiting for the results. But I'll have to put you off for a few days.

To be honest with you: despite all the perfection - I made a small mistake during the assembly of this first prototype.
It would be pointless to go into detail here. Mistakes are human, right? That's why I want to be honest to you.

The revised engine will be returned on Monday. After that there will be first results.

Thank you and take care , Rainer

Vienna

VIP/Donor
my friend Rainer, mistakes are understood., especially the moment that the manufacturer is standing behind his product by taking swiftly all necessary actions to correct them.
Thank you once again and I am looking forward to receive the motor back

Vienna

VIP/Donor
I received back the motor from Rainer, yesterday.
the trial operation showed a huge improvement in terms of vibration and resonance management.
The motor run extremely smoothly and silently.
Due to very busy days I will probably install it on Sunday morning.

For the moment I can say that the controller’ s degree of precision, adjustability, functionality and convenience is second to none.
I have dealt with many motors’ controllers in the past and easily this is, by very far, the best. With confidence I would say that Rainer’s controller is a reference for the industry

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I received back the motor from Rainer, yesterday.
the trial operation showed a huge improvement in terms of vibration and resonance management.
The motor run extremely smoothly and silently.
Due to very busy days I will probably install it on Sunday morning.

For the moment I can say that the controller’ s degree of precision, adjustability, functionality and convenience is second to none.
I have dealt with many motors’ controllers in the past and easily this is, by very far, the best. With confidence I would say that Rainer’s controller is a reference for the industry

awesome - can’t wait to see the measurements

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
interesting that you can set acceleration and when the beast has started turning and reached speed it needs almost no motor power and will run ala Nottingham tt´s

Vienna

VIP/Donor
the controller is providing more adjustments than just accelaration. I have attached the manual where all the adjustments are described

Attachments

• BDA_DMS-5001_DAE-01 SP_E_V02.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 37

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Wow that is a well written manual, very comprehensive ! Amazing selection of features, mostly things i would probably not use ;) But it is nice to have it included, clearly Rainer put some serious thought into this product. It's definitely going to be interesting to hear your assessment of the sound compared to the excellent RöhNt system you already own. You already have extended experience with different motors and controllers, and a system that can translate the differences into music :)

Reactions: Derainer

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Wow that is a well written manual, very comprehensive ! Amazing selection of features, mostly things i would probably not use ;) But it is nice to have it included, clearly Rainer put some serious thought into this product. It's definitely going to be interesting to hear your assessment of the sound compared to the excellent RöhNt system you already own. You already have extended experience with different motors and controllers, and a system that can translate the differences into music :)
Initially i had the same thoughts with you in regards with features, but i now realize that i can have more torque ( higher gain) for e.g rock music saved at PU1 and lower gain for jazz saved at PU2

i think that they are very useful features

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Initially i had the same thoughts with you in regards with features, but i now realize that i can have more torque ( higher gain) for e.g rock music saved at PU1 and lower gain for jazz saved at PU2

i think that they are very useful features
I normally start up my TT an hour before listening, and don't stop it again until i finish the session, i have finally mastered the art of changing records with the platter spinning, the different counters for cartridge wear would be wasted on me :rolleyes: I though the gain settings where for accelerating/decelerating the platter. But different torque settings for different music sounds interesting, let us know if you hear a difference.

Reactions: matakana

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
If you use good quality records, stop the platter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Derainer

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
If you use good quality records, stop the platter.
I use a leather mat, i don't think the records are getting damaged. If i was going "bare back" on a metal platter i would definitely reconsider :eek: I thought Tang was doing the same thing.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Reactions: PeterA

Derainer

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
Apr 23, 2011
Germany
www.dereneville.de
Warm up and run continuously is not necessary with this drive unit.
It runs absolutely constantly from minus 20 °C to plus 60 °C - right from the start.
There is no need to worry about the speed of rotation.

Thank you,
Rainer

Reactions: Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Warm up and run continuously is not necessary with this drive unit.
It runs absolutely constantly from minus 20 °C to plus 60 °C - right from the start.
There is no need to worry about the speed of rotation.

Thank you,
Rainer
That is your motor Rainer, but the rest of the TT can change parameters quite a bit with temperature of bearing and air-supply system.

Reactions: adyc

Vienna

VIP/Donor
That is your motor Rainer, but the rest of the TT can change parameters quite a bit with temperature of bearing and air-supply system.
And here comes the beauty of Brinkmann Balance heated hydrostatic oil bearing...

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
And here comes the beauty of Brinkmann Balance heated hydrostatic oil bearing...
That is truly a nice feature on a TT with a lubricated bearing. My air bearing gets the air from a high pressure shop compressor with a 100 L expansion tank, far away in a separate sound proof room in the attic, that changes temperature significantly with operation. o_O

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing