Thoughts on hearing a Wilson XVX Chronosonic System at Evolution Hifi

I believe the XVX will have a production run substantially longer than 5 years. How long is anybody's guess. In 2023 Wilson released special edition XVX's and they are doing the same this year for the Alexx V. An update would only include the new tweeter but the tweeter module for the XVX is enormous. Much larger than on any of their other speakers and the only improvement of the new carbon tweeter is in the rear chamber. The XVX treble is already incredibly smooth, extended, and refined. It already has the new capacitors, etc. The XVX doesn't have many competitors. The M7 doesn't seem to be one. I thought it would make much more of a splash than it has. I am certain it is a very fine speaker. Rockport has not so far stepped up to the plate to offer an updated Arrakis, which I believe they need to. If my room were any smaller at all, I would be waiting on an updated Lyra, because an XVX wouldn't fit. So for folks that are in this market, the XVX remains quite viable and their sales prove this.

The other thing is that mine was installed the first week of January 2020. I got speakers 39 and 40. The XVX was released right at the end of 2019 in December so it is still less than 5 years in production. It's my final speaker. I won't be buying an XVX Series 2 and I suspect most folks owning one won't either. As far as I am concerned personally, I would prefer it over anything on the market, including the new M7. Why? Because the XVX is really a system like the ageless WAMM. To appreciate its full glory you need to add dual Subsonics and this kicks it up to about 650K. This makes it fully competitive with the WAMM or M9, both of which will not be updated for many years to come.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu