Thoughts on total number of steps and dB range per step in preamp volume controls.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Al, you can guess how frustrating it was to demo the Koda K10 w it's totally stellar SQ in every way, and reject it for it's inability to fine tune volume in my preferred range. Hence my launching this thread re a preamp w theoretically even less user adjustability.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
So for a different perspective. I have 24 steps on my 10Y and have absolutely no desire for any further granularity - just not needed for me. Obviously I also ditched remote. I was somewhat worried when I first went this route but realised that if anything it removes any audiophile anxiety.

Reactions: Lagonda

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well Bill, I see my Nat preamp has 100+ steps. I tend to stick to 15-18 for my vinyl, occas just past 20. 10-12 on my cdp, occas 15-18. That means I'm not using anything from just over 20 all the way up to 100.

If I go to a preamp that only goes to 23 instead of 100, how does that compare?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Al, you can guess how frustrating it was to demo the Koda K10 w it's totally stellar SQ in every way, and reject it for it's inability to fine tune volume in my preferred range. Hence my launching this thread re a preamp w theoretically even less user adjustability.

Yes, extremely frustrating. I don't dare even think what would have happened if my Octave preamp would have had only a stepped option.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I don't like stepped volume controls. My C200 is non stepped...you might search for a preamp that has a non stepped volume control.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Keith, it wasn't w my Zus.

TVC is still going to be sensitive to different systems because of gain/input voltage of the amp (just not interconnect length, etc). You might search out a vintage Luxman TVC on ebay and go in that direction - Phil has this and its excellent (with silver trannies even), but no remote unfortunately.

Remote is critical for me - I tried without it on a Django TVC for 2 months while the MF was on order and absolutely hated it.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sure Keith. I guess I'm struggling to get my head around potentially going from a 100-step preamp to one of 25-steps. But since I don't ever use the uppermost 75-steps on my preamp, maybe a 25-steps preamp makes more sense than it seems.

My instinct on the Emia would be to go for the 47-steps 1.25 dB per step Elmaformer.

Lack of remote control is not a deal breaker for me.

Last edited:

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Well Bill, I see my Nat preamp has 100+ steps. I tend to stick to 15-18 for my vinyl, occas just past 20. 10-12 on my cdp, occas 15-18. That means I'm not using anything from just over 20 all the way up to 100.

If I go to a preamp that only goes to 23 instead of 100, how does that compare?

Just means you have less increments to use to decide what level you like.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Personally for pre amps, volume steps of 1db are the minimum. Larger steps, it's easy to reach that touch too loud step depending on the music.

Pallen

Jun 25, 2018
Marc, a couple of points from another MFA owner, who has experimented with a number of active preamps in the past. IMHO, it is an exaggeration to state that the difference between every step is 'huge'. It certainly doesn't interefere with my enjoyment of my system. Regarding dynamics, appropriate impedance matching is key. Get that right and there is no issue at all IMO. If I recall correctly, my ARC REF 75SE has an input impedance of 300 ohms and it reproduces music brilliantly with the MFA Baby Ref V2.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Pallen, I'm only relaying my experience in that the Koda frustrated the Hell out of me, and even my Nat pre w 100 steps, ideally matched to my Nat monos STILL proves finicky on some v dynamic cds.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Yes, but my MF costs $24k less.

No, it doesn't. The volume control on the Ref DAC is a $6k option. About the same price as your preamp. And I preferred the VC on the MSB Ref (though you did prefer your passive MF).

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
No, it doesn't. The volume control on the Ref DAC is a $6k option. About the same price as your preamp. And I preferred the VC on the MSB Ref (though you did prefer your passive MF).

Alex, what made you prefer the volume control on the MSB Ref?

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Better resolution/transparency and transient attack.
But overall, I thought the MF was a good preamp, and compared favorably with the $6k built-in preamp in the MSB. I've certainly heard much worse at similar price points, so I thought the MF did quite well.
I just don't "get" why Keith went for a passive preamp, when he's such a dynamics junkie. Dynamics is one of the desirable traits that an active preamp is supposed to add to a system.

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Better resolution/transparency and transient attack.
But overall, I thought the MF was a good preamp, and compared favorably with the $6k built-in preamp in the MSB. I've certainly heard much worse at similar price points, so I thought the MF did quite well.
I just don't "get" why Keith went for a passive preamp, when he's such a dynamics junkie. Dynamics is one of the desirable traits that an active preamp is supposed to add to a system.

The MSB sounds more like a typical resistor-based passive preamp that while has more resolution, suffers from providing the body, harmonics, and whole note of musical flow. Note, I (and Ron) preferred the ARC Ref 10 to the MSB Reference internal preamp as well in Alex's mega room.

While we agree on many things, Alex focuses much more on detail than I do. I actually found the MF and ARC sounding bolder than the MSB. But if you want sharper, more detailed sound the MSB passive is the way to go.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Thanks, Alex and Keith, for the informative replies. I guess I can be happy with my active external preamp as it checks all the boxes.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Al, w the sums we've all spent in this hobby, the very least we should expect to be, is happy.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Al, w the sums we've all spent in this hobby, the very least we should expect to be, is happy.

We should, but it's elusive. Funny how after all the previous expenses in my system, only with the new preamp things really fell into place, at once.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Al, the "really fell into place" is a very special level of 'happy'.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing