Tokyo International Audio Show 2012

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I hadn't visited the Tokyo International Audio Show before, and when my Hong Kong distributor offered to introduce me to a potential distributor in Japan (plus great food) I leaped at the chance. It was a small show - something that could be covered in a day. Entry was also free.

I didn't visit a great number of the rooms, merely poking my head in most of them.

Entrance.jpg

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Loudspeaker designer/mastering engineer/recording engineer Allen Sides with the Ocean Way AC1 - which won Stereo Sound's Best Loudspeaker 2012 (will be on the cover of next month's issue).

For a multi-Grammy winning engineer who recorded Frank Sinatra and Michael Jackson (and now an award-winning loudspeaker designer), Allen was a nice, down-to-earth regular guy.

Allen and AC1.jpg

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
What didn't surprise me (knowing a couple of Japanese audiophiles) was the most crowded rooms featured horns of some sort, or tubes (generally single-ended). Here's the JBL room.

JBL.jpg

Contrast this with a room that I thought sounded great. I guess there's no accounting for taste :)

Zeel room.jpg

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
The highlight of the show for me was the TechDAS Air Force One turntable.

air force one side.jpg

The music had huge drive, density and dynamics. The table was so stable that you could rap your knuckles on the LP during playback, and you can't hear it in the speakers. I should have done a video instead, but here's a still picture of the demonstrator rapping the LP in the middle of the demo.

rap.jpg

The back-end was Vivid or Tidal loudspeakers with Constellation electronics.

Vivid.jpg

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Thanks Gary for a great report. I love the commentary about the attendance in the horn rooms vs. the traditional rooms. I've just begun work on the RMAF videos and there are few horn systems. How was the sound overall? RMAF was really good this year. See you at CES!

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Japan is on my bucket-list, since I have never been there. two things call to my attention, first the black DartZ (integrated), what a nice piece!!!, secondly the small size that Gary mentioned of the show, I would assume that an audio show in Japan must be huuuuuuge! - thanks Gary!

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Yes, I was also quite surprised by how small the show was. Unfortunately, it was held in an event hall with sub-divided rooms. Most of the rooms were perfectly squares, so the sound in those rooms were pretty difficult for me to stomach - that's why I didn't comment much on the sound. The good thing was that the partitions were very solid, so you did not get sound leakage from one room to the next.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
You are killing me Gary! That o-toro nigiri is just gorgeous! Fall and winter are such great time for sushi.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Never mind the audio. This is just CRUEL!

Well, that and except the TechDAS anyway. :)

:D :D :D

What's most cruel is that there is no way that I'll be able to find the sushi joint again without the guidance of my new Japanese distributor. It was way down through all the side streets of Akasaksa, about 10 min walk from the nearest subway station. When I asked for the name and the address, all my hosts would say was "Don't worry, we will bring you here again next time you visit us." He said he thought it was as good as Jiro, but at less than half the price of the son.

Looks like if I want the good sushi, I won't be able to change distributors!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing