Tone Arm and Cartridge for Dohmann 2 Mk. 3 Turntable

Stevet

Mar 14, 2024
Oregon
I am in the process of purchasing a new Dohmann 2, Mk. 3 Turntable. I have not decided upon an arm or cartridge as of yet and was hoping that some of you are familiar enough with the Dohman 2 Turntable to offer suggestions and the reasons for your suggested tone arms and/or cartridges. I am currently using a Boulder 508 phono preamp, but am considering moving up to the Boulder 1108 phono preamp for more cartridge flexibility (I would really like to go to 2108, but cannot justify the cost). The phono preamp goes into a Boulder 1110 pre amp, into a Boulder 1160 amp and into the new Magico S3 speakers. Any guidance/suggestions would be appreciated, especially with the reasons for said suggestions. Thank you.

I am in the process of purchasing a new Dohmann 2, Mk. 3 Turntable. I have not decided upon an arm or cartridge as of yet and was hoping that some of you are familiar enough with the Dohman 2 Turntable to offer suggestions and the reasons for your suggested tone arms and/or cartridges. I am currently using a Boulder 508 phono preamp, but am considering moving up to the Boulder 1108 phono preamp for more cartridge flexibility (I would really like to go to 2108, but cannot justify the cost). The phono preamp goes into a Boulder 1110 pre amp, into a Boulder 1160 amp and into the new Magico S3 speakers. Any guidance/suggestions would be appreciated, especially with the reasons for said suggestions. Thank you.
I would strongly recommend the Supatrac tonearm,I know Mark Dohmann is a big fan.The arm is relatively inexpensive and has sound qualities very similar to the SAT arm.
See Mikey Fremer’s review.
The Schroder,Kuzma 4 point and various Reed arms also work well.

Reactions: Hyperion and mxk116

Mark makes it damned difficult to dislike him.
Why don’t you just give him a call in about 11 hours and ask him?

I know he also has carried the Schroder arms.
If it takes 2-3 arms, you could run a Schroder, Korf, and something else.

But then again, I like talking to the bloke, so I would call him, if I had an excuse/reason.
There are a few others that are similar, but not a lot of people that are really enjoyable to talk to at leangth.

As per Down Under, speak to Mark and he'll very likely tell you to look at the Supatrac. They have a new more expensive version in the works, a little more cost no object. When I spoke to him the other he liked is the Reed 5T

I would second the suggestions to consider both the Supatrac and Reed tonearms. I would add to the Reed contingent the model 5A.
I was able to discuss the Reed product line with the US distributor Axxis Audio at AXPONA 2024. I was impressed with their knowledge, ability and willingness to support the Reed products.

While I am less familiar with the US support network for Supatrac, both brands are on my personal short list of tonearms I want to add to my system.

Please keep us posted as you narrow your search. The Dohmann TT is an exceptional product and will reveal the best of any tonearm you choose.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hyperion
I would second the suggestions to consider both the Supatrac and Reed tonearms. I would add to the Reed contingent the model 5A.
I was able to discuss the Reed product line with the US distributor Axxis Audio at AXPONA 2024. I was impressed with their knowledge, ability and willingness to support the Reed products.

While I am less familiar with the US support network for Supatrac, both brands are on my personal short list of tonearms I want to add to my system.

Please keep us posted as you narrow your search. The Dohmann TT is an exceptional product and will reveal the best of any tonearm you choose.
Thank you to all of you. I will follow up.

Reactions: mxk116

Congratulations to the choice of a truly world class turntable.

Mark (Dohmann) has extensive knowledge and experience with many different tonearms and would be happy to give you his personal guidance and advice I'm sure. It's true though that he recommends the new Supatrac right now for many applications where we're also waiting for these tonearms to arrive from the UK.

We've been using the Reed 5A for the last year here in Stockholm together with various cartridges from My Sonic Lab and more. Always with great (but obviously different) results. We've quite recently installed a new Analog Relax EX500. A cartridge that I personally adore and that really speaks to me in a very soulful way.

The Dohmann tables are probably as isolated and quiet as a vinyl platform can get, where differences in the choice of tonearm and cartridge will become very obvious and profound.

You've got a very neutral and powerful system on paper, where you might need to ask yourself in what direction you want to go. Are you aiming for even more resolution, transparency, dynamics and precision or perhaps improved tonality, texture, body, fluidity etc?

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se

Reactions: mxk116
Congratulations to the choice of a truly world class turntable.

Mark (Dohmann) has extensive knowledge and experience with many different tonearms and would be happy to give you his personal guidance and advice I'm sure. It's true though that he recommends the new Supatrac right now for many applications where we're also waiting for these tonearms to arrive from the UK.

We've been using the Reed 5A for the last year here in Stockholm together with various cartridges from My Sonic Lab and more. Always with great (but obviously different) results. We've quite recently installed a new Analog Relax EX500. A cartridge that I personally adore and that really speaks to me in a very soulful way.

The Dohmann tables are probably as isolated and quiet as a vinyl platform can get, where differences in the choice of tonearm and cartridge will become very obvious and profound.

You've got a very neutral and powerful system on paper, where you might need to ask yourself in what direction you want to go. Are you aiming for even more resolution, transparency, dynamics and precision or perhaps improved tonality, texture, body, fluidity etc?

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se
Hyperion,

Thank you very much for your input. That is exactly what I was looking for when I posed the question.

I am in the process of purchasing a new Dohmann 2, Mk. 3 Turntable. I have not decided upon an arm or cartridge as of yet and was hoping that some of you are familiar enough with the Dohman 2 Turntable to offer suggestions and the reasons for your suggested tone arms and/or cartridges.

Congratulations!

Mark effectively OEMs (this might technically be the wrong terminology) Reed tonearms and Schroder tonearms. I simply would ask Mark for his advice based on your sonic preferences.

A mate of mine in Melbourne just picked up a slightly used Dohmann from Mark. Mark also set up the table, tonerams and cartidges.

He has:
Dohmann Helix One mk2 Turntable ,Schroder CB11 11" Tonearm, Kuzma 4 Point 9 Tonearm

regards

Reactions: Holmz

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing