Tweaks : A sensible investment or a waste of money?

gilles13

Dec 17, 2015
south of France
I think tweaks must be tried at home before buying. I just made an A/ B test after reading the answer on the room factor and the difference with the acoustic revive was less than usual, I think because I have got a few entreq minimus in my system recently so I am going to displace the RR 888 as the place where it stands is an important factor.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks gilles13.
Entreq work very well in my system and I will look forward to reading how your RR888 performs in a different location.
Can highly recommend Poseidon and negative speaker terminal grounding but can be done also with two minimus.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I think tweaks must be tried at home before buying. I just made an A/ B test after reading the answer on the room factor and the difference with the acoustic revive was less than usual, I think because I have got a few entreq minimus in my system recently so I am going to displace the RR 888 as the place where it stands is an important factor.

The big issue with some tweaks that they need a long break in time before becoming really effective. And taking them out of the system reverts the break-in ...

For some time I owned two complete equal systems - Quad CD67/ 66 preamp and 606 power amp - that I could assemble with different cables and tweaks, so I could compare directly. Now I just have one set in my vintage collection - very useful in extremely hot days when nothing with many tubes should be switched on!

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
The big issue with some tweaks that they need a long break in time before becoming really effective. And taking them out of the system reverts the break-in ...

For some time I owned two complete equal systems - Quad CD67/ 66 preamp and 606 power amp - that I could assemble with different cables and tweaks, so I could compare directly. Now I just have one set in my vintage collection - very useful in extremely hot days when nothing with many tubes should be switched on!

+1

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
What is a RR-888?

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/how-can-acoustic-revive-rr-888-produce-7-83hz

I am zero familiar with that type of audio gadget, so I cannot comment anything of beneficial value, très unfortunately. Learning is my middle name.

Bob, Keep this to yourself:cool:

I use one powered with the Kingrex PSU--doesn't make jaw dropping improvement for ones listening--but hey I like it--so Blah Blah:eek:

Email setup Guru Jim Smith --he has one atop his System.

BruceD

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Bob, Keep this to yourself:cool:

I use one powered with the Kingrex PSU--doesn't make jaw dropping improvement for ones listening--but hey I like it--so Blah Blah:eek:

Email setup Guru Jim Smith --he has one atop his System.

BruceD

I like this too. I bought one a 2 or 3 years ago and planned to add the Kingrex... Never got round to that

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
I like this too. I bought one a 2 or 3 years ago and planned to add the Kingrex... Never got round to that

Ha! Ked --Snap;) The Kingrex supply I think is out of production-- would Paul Hynes in the UK have similar spec PSU?

Trust your quest for Nirvana is nearing fruition--have enjoyed the ride immensely !;)

As an old friend of mine used to quote:

"May the bridges I burn light the way to the end of the Tunnel"

BruceD

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ha! Ked --Snap;) The Kingrex supply I think is out of production-- would Paul Hynes in the UK have similar spec PSU?

Trust your quest for Nirvana is nearing fruition--have enjoyed the ride immensely !;)

As an old friend of mine used to quote:

"May the bridges I burn light the way to the end of the Tunnel"

BruceD

The tunnel is like the London dungeon. Lots of fun and horror and thrills along the way for us kids

mcondo

Feb 24, 2015
You've got to take them out at some point to validate their performance. I had a HRS damper on top of my YBA integrated for well over 2 years. One day I removed it for no real reason and found it had over damped the amp. Removing it produced a touch more timbre. Likely component/chassis construction dependent.

Ultrafast69

VIP/Donor
Aug 27, 2018
Seattle, WA
www.audio-ultra.com
With all respect, maybe the heading can be “tweaked” to say “sensible purchase”, versus “sensible investment” - as I have yet to see anything in this hobby as an investment.

Today, a respected audiophile listened to my system and indicated there was gain to be had in the mid range.

Flashing back, I installed Stillpoints Ultra 5’s under Wilson Alexias a few weeks back and noticed the same thing, however, I can never add only one thing at a time and believed it may of been related to updating an XLR cable.

I asked for help to remove the Stillpoints and put the OEM spikes on, and 20 minutes later the mid range literally snapped back.

So was this a waste of money, it could be seen that way. In the spirit of things, I’m moving a few things around and see where anything can be repurposed for the better, I have had my share of tweaks and now taking a break from any new acquisitions, just how long is the question .

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks Ultrafast69.
I take your point about the title. I was using "investment" more in terms of sound quality than in financial terms.
Your experience with the Ultra 5s is interesting. I have them under my YG Kipod Signature passives where they have been sometime and prior to a number of subsequent upgrades. They have always sounded good despite YGs advice to stay with their own supports but it would probably be sensible check in the light of your experience with the Wilsons.

mikewxyz

Feb 22, 2018
Pacific Northwest
I’ve been reading Mark “Dr. AIX” Waldrep’s book “Music and Audio: A User Guide to Better Sound”. It’s interesting to get a professional’s take on audio tweaks. I have some disagreements with him but not many.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
That's an interesting teaser Mike.
For those of us who might struggle to locate a copy would you be good enough to share with us a a summary of his conclusions, or at least the most relevant ones.

Ultrafast69

VIP/Donor
Aug 27, 2018
Seattle, WA
www.audio-ultra.com
Thanks Ultrafast69.
I take your point about the title. I was using "investment" more in terms of sound quality than in financial terms.
Your experience with the Ultra 5s is interesting. I have them under my YG Kipod Signature passives where they have been sometime and prior to a number of subsequent upgrades. They have always sounded good despite YGs advice to stay with their own supports but it would probably be sensible check in the light of your experience with the Wilsons.

Doing that will cost only time, curious on your result

mikewxyz

Feb 22, 2018
Pacific Northwest
Waldrep covers a lot of ground. I have not read all 825 pages of his book. As previously posted, one person’s tweak is another’s undisputed no-brainer improvement.

Useless Tweaks -
  • After market power cords and conditioners are not needed (p. 725)
  • Cable elevators, CD demagnetizers, shorting plugs, hi fi fuses, and wall mounted acoustic dots are all about sending someone else’s kid to college. (p. 727)
Contrarian Views (maybe) -
  • Hi Res Digital is far superior to analog
  • Surround 5.1 is better than 2 channel

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Waldrep covers a lot of ground. I have not read all 825 pages of his book. As previously posted, one person’s tweak is another’s undisputed no-brainer improvement.

Useless Tweaks -
  • After market power cords and conditioners are not needed (p. 725)
  • Cable elevators, CD demagnetizers, shorting plugs, hi fi fuses, and wall mounted acoustic dots are all about sending someone else’s kid to college. (p. 727)
Contrarian Views (maybe) -
  • Hi Res Digital is far superior to analog
  • Surround 5.1 is better than 2 channel
Thanks Mike
IME after market cables and some conditioners and fuses have made a difference for the better.
What year does the book date from? I ask because there have been a lot of advances in materials technology in recent years which have been applied in the audio world which have generally had a positive reaction.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Thanks Ultrafast69.

Barry,

+1 on getting those things out of your YGs.

Power cords are the single most important cable in a system, IMHO.

cheers,
Alex

mikewxyz

Feb 22, 2018
Pacific Northwest
Mark Waldrep released his book earlier this year (2018). He contrasts differences between pro audio and audio enthusiast views and talks about what he thinks is important for better sound. He provides lots of explanation - especially in the music format sections.

I found it interesting.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing