Videos - oomph, tympani, menace, power

The label says Telarc Digital so this is a digital recording and all versions would be from the same analog to digital process. Question is, was the original recording harsh and needed to be tweaked to sound good, probably.

Edit, although it was recorded in 1982 so I might be completely wrong, lol

Telarc is described by Robert Easton (founder w/ Jack Renner) as "the first United States audiophile digital audio recording company, providing commercial services for recording and computer-based editing." Telarc used the Soundstream recording system invented by Thomas G. Stockham, Jr in 1976.

"Unlike its competitors, Soundstream's analog circuitry was transformerless, permitting a frequency response to 0Hz (DC). This accounted for the "bass drum heard round the world" review of the 1978 Telarc recording of Frederick Fennell: The Cleveland Symphonic Winds.Soundstream collaborated with Telarc for several years, producing legendary symphonic recordings; the earliest ones are chronicled in Renner.[10] The care with which Telarc selected and used its microphones and audio console, combined with the Soundstream recorder, created a gold standard for audiophile recording. Telarc has re-released many of its original Soundstream recordings in SACD format." Wikpedia

I believe the Telarc 'Fanfare' recording was done at a 16-bit 50kHz sampling rate.

Early on Telarc was known for it's impactful -- some say exaggerated and forward -- bass. Some early listeners knew that what Telarc accomplished pre-saged the digital future in audio.

More info in an Interesting article (pdf) here: The Dawn of Digital Recording.

Reactions: Rexp
@stehno, what is in your stereo system besides an Oppo disc player playing CDs ripped to a memory card?
Actually, Tim, it’s an SSD. Which I suppose is really just a very large memory card of sorts.

My entire playback config (system + room) entails…

- OPPO 205 CDP
- Jena Labs USB cable - cryo'ed by Jena Labs
- Wyred-4-Sound X1000 Class D monoblock amps w/aftermarket internal ACME fuses cryo’ed by Jena Labs
- VMPS RM-40 speakers
- 2 Rhythmik E15 subwoofers on my custom points and aftermarket cryo'ed power cables
- BPT silver balanced ic’s – cryo’ed by Jena Labs
- Jena Labs single-ended ic's for subwoofers. Cryo'ed by Jena Labs.
- Silver speaker cables – (I forget the mfg’er and model) cryo-ed by Jena Labs
- 4 Jena Labs Hubbell wall outlets – cryo’ed by Jena Labs
- 3 Jena Labs The TWO line conditioners and built-in PC's – cryo’ed by Jena Labs
- My custom racking system on my custom points
- Romex house wiring – cryo’ed
- 4 dedicated circuits/lines
- My custom speaker cable lifters
- Minimally furnished former kitchen with a difficult-to-work-with 12 x 21 x 8ft shoebox-dimensioned room
- No aftermarket or custom room treatments.

If it seems I'm a fan of Jena Labs and cryo-treating, I guess I am. :)

Perhaps more detail than you wanted but that pretty much covers everything from a physical perspective. Pretty humble equipment fer sure. But as with anybody listing their gear, a list of hardware never tells the whole story behind somebody’s playback config. This is why I think it’s somewhat meaningless or at least misleading listing only one’s hardware.

That said and with you being a bit of the philosophical type hopefully you'll appreciate my saying that when listing my system contents, I’d be remiss if I didn’t at least make mention there always exists the philosophical, the implementation, and primary focus aspects behind it all.

After all, isn’t that where the rubber does or does not meet the road? Putting it all together applying one’s philosophies, strategies, methods, focus points, etc. throughout?

After all, isn’t that where the rubber does or does not meet the road? Putting it all together applying one’s philosophies, strategies, methods, focus points, etc. throughout?

I completely agree. As I think would @Carlos269. The end result, as judged by listening from the listening seat or wherever one is in the room. The question one must ask himself is whether or not it matters what anyone else thinks.

Reactions: Carlos269
My entire playback config (system + room) entails…

- OPPO 205 CDP
- Jena Labs USB cable - cryo'ed by Jena Labs
- Wyred-4-Sound X1000 Class D monoblock amps w/aftermarket internal ACME fuses cryo’ed by Jena Labs
- VMPS RM-40 speakers
- 2 Rhythmik E15 subwoofers on my custom points and aftermarket cryo'ed power cables
- BPT silver balanced ic’s – cryo’ed by Jena Labs
- Jena Labs single-ended ic's for subwoofers. Cryo'ed by Jena Labs.
- Silver speaker cables – (I forget the mfg’er and model) cryo-ed by Jena Labs
- 4 Jena Labs Hubbell wall outlets – cryo’ed by Jena Labs
- 3 Jena Labs The TWO line conditioners and built-in PC's – cryo’ed by Jena Labs
- My custom racking system on my custom points
- Romex house wiring – cryo’ed
- 4 dedicated circuits/lines
- My custom speaker cable lifters
- Minimally furnished former kitchen with a difficult-to-work-with 12 x 21 x 8ft shoebox-dimensioned room
- No aftermarket or custom room treatments.

Thanks for listing your system. I encourage all participants to include their system in their profile.

Reactions: the sound of Tao
Thanks for listing your system. I encourage all participants to include their system in their profile.
You’re welcome, Tim. And you’re right. See my new signature below that hopefully tells a bit more the complete story of my pursuits to this very day.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing