Videos - oomph, tympani, menace, power

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Lloyd guess you are not into rock/metal at all as this is the start.

That is the black Sabbath song by black Sabbath, and that weird tone that repeats, called tritone, is what the anti metal brigade claimed in those was calling the devil. Their guitarist had lost his two fingers while working in a metal factory in Birmingham, and some said that music sounds like heavy metal.

This song and led zep's immigrant song were said to have started heavy metal. Though Plant later said he hoped not because he found metal too structured and samey. The other instance where the term heavy metal was recorded in the early days was when a journalist used the phrase to describe a Jimmy Hendrix concert.

The source for the black Sabbath is tape. For Beethoven 9th is a Garrard and not so good LP
Thanks for the history. Of 3,000 CDs, I have Metallica and some more modern metal...that's it.

As for the video...the fact that I was particularly intrigued by the quality of the sound...and it was tape...well, that says a lot to me then. I have never heard tape live, and this particularly video certainly makes for an inviting case.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Hi Lloyd guess you are not into rock/metal at all as this is the start.

That is the black Sabbath song by black Sabbath, and that weird tone that repeats, called tritone, is what the anti metal brigade claimed in those was calling the devil. Their guitarist had lost his two fingers while working in a metal factory in Birmingham, and some said that music sounds like heavy metal.

This song and led zep's immigrant song were said to have started heavy metal. Though Plant later said he hoped not because he found metal too structured and samey. The other instance where the term heavy metal was recorded in the early days was when a journalist used the phrase to describe a Jimmy Hendrix concert.

The source for the black Sabbath is tape. For Beethoven 9th is a Garrard and not so good LP

The best thing of the video is the dog. Reminds me of the story how the song "Black Dog" by LZ was named.

Was that filmed in Germany? One time I hear the dog's owner say "Nein!", "no" in German.

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The best thing of the video is the dog. Reminds me of the story how the song "Black Dog" by LZ was named.

Was that filmed in Germany? One time I hear the dog's owner say "Nein!", "no" in German.

Viking. From the land of the ice and snow from the midnight sun where the hot springs blow. The dual woofers do deliver the hammer of the gods.

Reactions: SCAudiophile

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Reactions: bonzo75

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
The dual woofers do deliver the hammer of the gods.

Actually, this song does not have heavy bass (checked 3 different CD masters). The bass on War Pigs from Paranoid, for example, is much better. And there the drums aren't just heavy, they sound heavy.

It's kinda like the difference in weight between The Who's Tommy and Who's Next. Around 1970 engineers started to figure out how to actually record rock.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Actually, this song does not have heavy bass (checked 3 different CD masters). The bass on War Pigs from Paranoid, for example, is much better. And there the drums aren't just heavy, they sound heavy.

It's kinda like the difference in weight between The Who's Tommy and Who's Next. Around 1970 engineers started to figure out how to actually record rock.

I made the comment generally not just with reference to that song. The other videos show it.

As for War Pigs, 3.5 watts gives you this

Last edited:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
The new Aqualung UHQR

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

Kinda' makes me glad I've no active linestage. :)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

I set this to start at 4:30. You can briefly see (~6:15) the percussionist with a very large bass drum. Shostakovich, Festive Overture, Op 96, Bavarian Rundfunkers, Jansons Conducting.

Try LP #1 in the Sheffield Labs 3 LP set Moscow Sessions. Better than video.

Moscow Sessions 1.jpg
Sheffield Lab TLP-26

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

To feel the power you gotta' crank it. Duh?

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

Definitely crank up the volume.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

Crank 'em up.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing