Visit to Marc C.'s (SpiritOfMusic's) House in England

Marc, you should really try running your system off one line instead of six using a simple power distributor like the Furutech e-TP609 NCF or Pure Power 6. The NCF distributors reduce noise measurably and passively, there is no inductive or capacitive filtering. In noisy environments using emi/rfi filters can be the best solution, like at audio shows, but for most residential applications I think a passive distributor is best.

You use SETs and have efficient speakers, so not a ton of amp power and nothing else takes all that much power. The advantage of using one line is all the grounds will be combined or connected together in the distributor. This can make a big difference, especially if the components you use don't isolate the IEC ground from chassis and signal ground, and you use single ended (RCA) interconnect cables. In this case the interconnect grounds and the IEC ground makes the same electrical connection, meaning the power cable ground is in the signal path.

Also, it's best to use the same AC power connectors throughout your system. Don't mix platings, and if you can upgrade your IEC inlets to ones that match your plugs all the better. I'd recommend going all-in on Furutech rhodium-plated NCF AC power products. I've had dozens of customers do that over the years and have only received extremely enthusiastic feedback.

I've always kept my system as simple as possible, and I need a very good reason to make it more complicated. I started with a SET and single driver, and now have 3-way horns and added a bass amp, my SET now has multiple power supplies and a driver that uses 8 triodes, but anytime I've added anything to my system has been a result of achieving a particular goal and been well tested. A 2-ch audio system just doesn't need to be that complicated and it can often get in it's own way if it is.

I like multiple circuits. Amps of any size seriously distort the sine wave. Its the caps in the power supply demand power NOW, then slam shut when full. Easy to see on a scope. They drag down the leading edge of the sine wave when transients hit. You want as much metal as possible to reduce reactions between front end gear and amps. Thats the bus in the panel. #10 branch wire or 2/0 bus.

And there is 0 difference between a star distributed power strip and star distribution in a panel. People F their panels up all the time. And mistakes in a loadcenter with Aluminum neutrals and grounds only exacerbate the issue. And a screw tbrough the neutral into the can to bond the ground bar to the neutral bar through a steel enclosure is such a joke. But its the NEC way.

I agree with most else that Dave says. I hear a lot of people like the Rhodium NCF. I have noticed Rhodium hardly tarnishes at all. Its a horrible conductor. Not sure why people say its so good. I have one I have not installed yet. I still use Hubbell 5362 cryo treated. Also had a oyaide for a while. It was a little less of something annoying than the Hubbell.

I also don't know what your isolation transformer is. There are a lot of less than optimum filters out there. Isolation transormers included. I find the American audio systems I hear are very colored. Its the aluminum based loadcenter to a Shunyata filter with Audiophile cables to a high power amp and low efficiency speakers. Its a sound built upon layers.

Rex, does this really describe most or all of the American systems you’ve heard?

Marc, are you still using your super-tweeters ?

Reactions: PeterA
Rex, does this really describe most or all of the American systems you’ve heard?
Every stereo has a color. My comment point at a type of stereo with a sound I don't gravitate to. That does not mean its wrong. My very good friend Bob who goes to all the shows with me does not like my stereo, nor I care for his. I respect he has built a well tuned stereo that performs at a very high level. But that does not mean I have to like the way it plays and desire it in my room.

I am usually honest and will tell someone if I hear a fault in their system. Like Marcs guests telling him they heard something. I will also let someone know if I hear a system that is excellent at what it does. I have been stunned by a Boulder/Magico with Esoteric CD player direct to the amp. Also stunned by a Wilson AllexV with AR Ref 160 fed by Esoteric again. Fantastic. But not what I want to build.

A perfect power supply won't change a systems overall character. A optimum power supply will only let it express all it has more fully with less faults due to additional colorations. Both those systems I put my hands on the power supply. I helped.them along some. But the owners had done a very good job of setting them up. They were already well tuned.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing