Visit to Marc C.'s (SpiritOfMusic's) House in England

How is all of this relevant to what I've been discussing?
There are plenty of other threads to roll out the horns versus the rest "dialogue".

I am simply supporting your high-efficiency speaker approach to the hobby. You don’t need these monster, solid-state amps and tower speakers. Let’s say your approach is an alternative to the mainstream.

I am simply supporting your high-efficiency speaker approach to the hobby. You don’t need these monster, solid-state amps and tower speakers. Let’s say your approach is an alternative to the mainstream.
I do wonder if a lot of the beyond dramatic uptick I'm hearing is down my Zus high efficiency for the first time being revealed or utilised. There certainly seems to be a lot of drive, snap and shove in my sound now I've made these changes.
A little like a layer of gauze being removed.

You wouldn't even suggest two lines, one for analog, one for digital?
One thing I did learn from my Entreq period is that my CDP really did seem to benefit from being grounded separately from the analog (ie rest of system).
Or more accurately, my analog benefitted by being kept seperate.
Would putting an Entreq box back on your cdp be worth trying and just stay au naturel on the amps and analogue.

Reactions: Pokey77
Reactions: the sound of Tao
I do feel a bit like the crack dealer who says excellent Marc, just have one more pipe… :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: Lagonda
I do feel a bit like the crack dealer who says excellent Marc, just have one more pipe… :rolleyes:
Just a variation on sucking down the Kool Aid.
What I've realised is that there are no absolutes in this game, implementation trumps concepts.
And set up is everything.

Big speakers being driven by bigger amps also fits the psychology of the post war western world especially the 60’s and through the 70’s and onwards… without even exploring the sonic differences but from a purely muscular visual perspective the answer was big cubic capacity, right back then we were being marketed with muscle cars and muscle amps and it’s easy well developed sexy marketing… it’s just downright sexier traditionally to sell on cubic capacity and big numbers.

Interesting to see the rise of the new mega amp boxes like the super big Piliums and Gryphon amps or see an amada of the ch precision super large boxes… the latest big electronics often now even visually outscale many of their system speakers. Either way it’s all a very different psychology to high efficiency being driven by a few watts.
I so get this. My wife and I were bug eyed over Boulder amps and Wilson speakers when I first started. Big Power. It makes sense to a uneducated consumer. Muscle cars, muscle amps. Power has to be better. And the more expensive, the higher the quality. And larger is a statement.

Mike L also.had an excellent point about home theater. Every audio store that makes money I know of feeds the business off the home theater. High end 2 channel is a hassle for them. Sell a theater system you get screens, projectors, seats, amps, speakers, processors and a lot of cable and installations hours.

I do think dealers and manufacturers drive some of the desire. People go to a store and get educated by a saleman. Then they validate the knowledge online. Or for the most part I hear the masses don't even go online. What percentage of audiophile are on forums??? 1%???? The store tells you what to buy. Like a car. The dealerahips and manufacturers influence the market. The dealers and manufacturers do pay attention to what catches on. Sometime slowly like in the 70 and 80s when small cars took off and Detroit still made big cars. Japan killed them in sales.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing