Congrats on yr results, btw.
Let’s see how it sounds to me in
a week or two. I’m always skeptical
when really small free changes
make a big improvement. Is it just
different and somewhat a figment of
my imagination ;)

Reactions: microstrip
Me? I always welcome free. You mean if you find money down the back of the sofa, you argue it?

Reactions: Lagonda
Lagonda, if I do have a remaining area of possible impvt, it is maxxing room acoustics. The room itself as baseline is pretty good to start, any drastic positives from here would be a real bonus.

What has been your decision making progress re absorption, diffusion, bass traps, listening position etc?

I already have some potential practical advice from AlM re applying diffusion/some absorption in 4x4 expanse on ceiling/eaves first reflection zones.

Last edited:
Lagonda, if I do have a remaining area of possible impvt, it is maxxing room acoustics. The room itself as baseline is pretty good to start, any drastic positives from here would be a real bonus.

What has been your decision making progress re absorption, diffusion, bass traps, listening position etc?
In have gone from to lively with bad imaging relative untreated , trough to much absorption with good imaging but dark balance with stunted dynamics and have landed at lively with diffusers and some bass absorbing. My situation is somewhat different from yours. I have sturdy wood floors laid on concrete, no basement, and bricks on most walls, my crossover lets me correct dips or
suck out in the 25 and 50hz in the analog domain. Omnis like MBL function
best with a fair deal of reflections, even from the front wall.
Listening position has gone from slightly far field to slightly near field.

Lagonda, my previous room sounded akin to yours.
Square-like/half-cube at 29x27x13, solid wood on concrete floor, concrete ceiling, 27x13 front wall, over half the area glass, system to one half of this width meaning one spkr side wall reinforced, one in free space, effectively 8 corners w my various alcoves and mezzanines.
Prognosis NEGATIVE!
I could never get a calm warm sound, bass wooly and overblown, imaging a mess.

New room, despite the potential shortcomings of 30° descending eaves, short side walls, and 12" deep protruding steels, 7 over the 48' total depth of my room, is a 180 turnaround. I've been able after a period to get much more cohesive bass, and now way better imaging.

My only caveat, and I could just be imagining an issue, is that the warm balance could benefit from diffusion more than the absorption panels I'm currently using.

Square-like/half-cube at 29x27x13, solid wood on concrete floor, concrete ceiling, 27x13 front wall, over half the area glass, system to one half of this width meaning one spkr side wall reinforced, one in free space, effectively 8 corners w my various alcoves and mezzanines.
Prognosis NEGATIVE!

New room, despite the potential shortcomings of 30° descending eaves, short side walls, and 12" deep protruding steels, 7 over the 48' total depth of my room, is a 180 turnaround. I've been able after a period to get much more cohesive bass, and now way better imaging.

My only caveat, and I could just be imagining an issue, is that the warm balance could benefit from diffusion more than the absorption panels I'm currently using.
My room actually sounds pretty good, even untreated 22” x 36” with 7,9” wood ceilings. Im not using the rooms on the second floor above and have
considered removing the ceiling, for some extra height, but maybe not worth
the hassle.

Prognosis NEGATIVE!

I heard a narrow long room resently with SMT diffusers on side and back walls that sounded amazing for its size. He was using removable SMT acrylic wing diffusers behind the listening position and it made a huge difference on imaging. Maybe worth a try.

Last edited:
Lagonda, my issue is deciding the balance of absorption and diffusion in my room, esp w Duke Le Jeune's contention to totally deal w near/first reflections and make the most of far reflections (if I've understood his Reverberant Field thread correctly).

This would mean looking at diffusers to front wall, maybe 6x6 or 9x6 expanse, single 4x2 diffusers on side walls first and second pts, and light, ceiling friendly 4x4 eaves diffusers, in my room.

My rear wall is so far behind me, 14'-24', as to be inconsequential re need for diffusers.

GIK in UK or Thomann De are my likely destinations. There is also the more pricey option of Stillpoints Apertures, which combine absorption/diffusion, and Accustica Applicata or ASC.

Last edited:
I think Marc has a new hashtag: #MikelLite. We better not arm him with a million in spare change sloshing around.

An lp I've been using forever as a torture test for my system and multitudinous upgrades, and has always been challenging, is finally really talking to me.

Egberto Gismonti "Dança Dos Escravos" ECM 1387, is a total tour de force of acoustic guitar playing, 10-, 12- and 14-strings, plus 6-string Contralto guitar.

Sure it's a three decade old digital recording, but those Scandi productions are the epitome of sympathetic sonics, real air and texture.

This album is so challenging re dynamics, micro detail like finger plucking technique, and reverberant cues, it's on the edge fierceness of tone, esp in upper mids/treble, always used to drive my sound to distraction.

I'm developing a total love for this album as my new presentation maintains it's forward energy, but reveals a lot more depth to the tone of these guitars, unearthing a lot more warmth and solidity.

It remains kinetic and on the verge of control, but now has a calmness of tone that is enabling me, like the best live acoustic music, to be able to take in the big picture, or concentrate on the interior of things.

For me, this is a major milestone, and is making me turn to further refinement of room acoustics as a potentially fruitful area to look at. This album will be the first one played on all future upgrades/tweaks.

Reactions: Lagonda
I think Marc has a new hashtag: #MikelLite. We better not arm him with a million in spare change sloshing around.
Carl, Mike is super busy enough buying Dart 468s without checking his shadow Lol.

Last edited:
Lagonda, my issue is deciding the balance of absorption and diffusion in my room, esp w Duke Le Jeune's contention to totally deal w near/first reflections and make the most of far reflections (if I've understood his Reverberant Field thread correctly).

This would mean looking at diffusers to front wall, maybe 6x6 or 9x6 expanse, single 4x2 diffusers on side walls first and second pts, and light, ceiling friendly 4x4 eaves diffusers, in my room.

My rear wall is so far behind me, 14'-24', as to be inconsequential re need for diffusers.

GIK in UK or Thomann De are my likely destinations. There is also the more pricey option of Stillpoints Apertures, which combine absorption/diffusion, and Accustica Applicata or ASC.
Marc, the fact that your rear wall is so far behind you is why i suggested the
SMT wing diffuser for that position, i heard it with and without in a similar setting, it clearly improved imaging and firmed up the presentation.
I think another member here with a complicated room situation is doing
the same.

So, it would be centrally behind me on rear wall? That would be close to 24' away. Or site it mid room, on a stand maybe, much closer to the rear of my seat? How close?

Also, I thought Duke Le Jeune had no issue w reflections/reflected energy, as long as the first reflection points were fully dealt with.

By definition, aren't rear wall/room reflections NOT first points?

So, it would be centrally behind me on rear wall? That would be close to 24' away. Or site it mid room, on a stand maybe, much closer to the rear of my seat? How close?
No, it is like a dividing screen made of see trough slotted acrylic, you place it at a distance behind your seat. I will try to find the post from the member here.

Sure
Appreciated

Also, I thought Duke Le Jeune had no issue w reflections/reflected energy, as long as the first reflection points were fully dealt with.

By definition, aren't rear wall/room reflections NOT first points?
Dukes recent post just made me re -examen my room reflections, my
needs are different as i have omnis.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu