Visit to Marc C.'s (SpiritOfMusic's) House in England

He will soon say something himself so that we can all Lol.

Reactions: Lagonda
I'd really love some Apogees. And a Lampi. How's that for starters?

I do. Linn in their heyday. I never felt that Linn system you mention was ever given the credit it deserved. For PRaT there was very little out there that came close. And way less that even matched it.

Good post and respect for mentioning it.
Justin, while US musclemen audiophiles were eyeing up Technics SP10 tts, Krell behemoths and Apogee Scintillas in the 80s, us Brits were camping up at Grahams HiFi in N. London, and being vaccinated into the Linn And Naim Church Of Audio Bliss.

The source is everything, and the only source is the Linn Sondek (pre 1983), amps and spkrs less critical.

And in the days when Linn didn't run to amps and cdp's, the brands cross pollination of Linn and Naim led to some truly heavyweight systems.

Aspiring to an LP12, Ekos, Troika, Naim x4 or 6, and Isobarik- or DBL-actives was the source of much daydreaming during my A-Level exams classes.

Imagine the disgust when Naim launched their first cdp.

I always wondered if Linn turntables lost interest because they became incessant, frantic tweaker projects rather than set 'n forget. Of course, that might also attract a certain strain of cultists.

Marc DBLs were impressive and could do scale. But IMHO they were as sterile as f"ck.

The bouncy LP12 mid bass lift just made those Briks sing. The Sara would boogie along quite well too.

Reactions: infinitely baffled
I always wondered if Linn turntables lost interest because they became incessant, frantic tweaker projects rather than set 'n forget. Of course, that might also attract a certain strain of cultists.
Carl, LP12 tts were never set and forget. They could detune mid demo!
I kid you not
But as a passport to PRaT monster sound, unparalleled.

However the amount of antipathy to Linn's competitors was legendary, and you had to literally deradicalise from the Linn "ethos" to see there was another world out there.

Not sure SP10/big Krells/Scintillas in 1984 would have swayed me had I heard it in comparison.

However, there were a few stalwart British audiophiles who did choose Krell and Apogee in 80s, I think w Accuphase cdp. Douglas Adams of Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy fame being one.

Marc DBLs were impressive and could do scale. But IMHO they were as sterile as f"ck.

The bouncy LP12 mid bass lift just made those Briks sing. The Sara would boogie along quite well too.
Linn Saras. Imho, the sweet spot. Actively driven, a bass monster. How to turn yr bedroom into The Roxy Dance Hall.

Reactions: the sound of Tao
Linn Saras. Imho, the sweet spot. Actively driven, a bass monster. How to turn yr bedroom into The Roxy Dance Hall.
The Linn Saras were good. I was also swayed by the Isobariks but Marianne Faithful absolutely sounded da bomb on the Saras. Went close to just going all Linn Naim then for some reason avoided the epidemic and went Rega and Sota and with the big IMF RSPM Mk IV transmission lines with the Kef B139 bass driver.

Can’t believe I then somehow segued across to Proac standmounts after those hefty beasts. I figure if I’d bought early into Linn Naim I’d have got stuck into their lifelong upgrade path and never gotten out to travel or party.

Graham, in the UK, Linn/Naim was a religion. I do not exaggerate. Roksan, Pink Triangle (PT), Alphason etc, couldn't get any oxygen. It was testament to their fantastic designers that they had a commercial profile at all. However it was the high point of vinyl, and consumers found a way, and the Roksan and PT tts found their way into the homes of those fallen from the One True Way (ie Linn).

Within the Linn religion, we had the Commandments. Not sure if there were Ten, but amongst these were gems like:

The single spkr demo. All spkrs not being listened to had to be removed.

The tt trumps all. That meant demos to show the range were always Linn Basik to Sondek LP12, then Basik arm to Ekos, then Basik cart to Troika, the Naim Nait integrated to full active 4- or 6-pack, then Linn Kan to Sara to Isobarik/active or DBL/active.

Demos lasted hours, and the religious ceremonies were observed scrupulously.

And critically, any discussion of alternatives to the LP12 Sondek were couched in terms of "the tune" ie PRaT. Any discussion of alternatives being better (which they were, invariably) at imaging, detail retrieval, microdynamics, were dismissed as "not being able to hold a tune".

This indoctrination was hugely effective, Ivor Tiefenbrun pretty much wrapped up the high end tt mkt in the UK, and w Julian Vereker of Naim, had the whip hand on the most prominent high end systems here.

Linn LP12 marketing was a total case study for complete messaging. You left demos w your thinking sorted for you.

Graham, in the UK, Linn/Naim was a religion. I do not exaggerate. Roksan, Pink Triangle (PT), Alphason etc, couldn't get any oxygen. It was testament to their fantastic designers that they had a commercial profile at all. However it was the high point of vinyl, and consumers found a way, and the Roksan and PT tts found their way into the homes of those fallen from the One True Way (ie Linn).

Within the Linn religion, we had the Commandments. Not sure if there were Ten, but amongst these were gems like:

The tt trumps all. That meant demos to show the range were always Linn Basik to Sondek LP12, then Basik arm to Ekos, then Basik cart to Troika, the Naim Nait integrated to full active 4- or 6-pack, then Linn Kan to Sara to Isobarik/active or DBL/active.

And critically, any discussion of alternatives to the LP12 Sondek were couched in terms of "the tune" ie PRaT. Any discussion of alternatives being better (which they were, invariably) at imaging, detail retrieval, microdynamics, were dismissed as "not being able to hold a tune".

This indoctrination was hugely effective, Ivor Tiefenbrun pretty much wrapped up the high end tt mkt in the UK, and w Julian Vereker of Naim, had the whip hand on the most prominent high end systems here.

Linn LP12 marketing was a total case study for complete messaging. You left demos w your thinking sorted for you.
Lol. I went for the Linn Naim demo here and felt my audio life was being programmed before my eyes so I did a runner.

Besides I was reading HP and the Absolute Sound at the time and was being beautifully delusioned by all kinds of marvellous thoughts of wayward exotica and esoterica and ended up strangely hybrid 1/3 Brit 1/3 US and 1/3 OZ with a Sota and Rega then SME Mk5, Garrot Brothers modified Dynavectors OZ ME amps and also Quicksilvers (still have two pairs of the monos gathering dust).

I really am more flow than PRAT and still have uncomfortable little involuntary PRAT conniptions whenever I hear Naim gear to this day.

But once Linn became the benchmark, there also arose s market for those who weren't satisfied with flea watt amps and zero bass extension until you'd levelled up with your lp12 and were permitted to start addressing your amp and speakers
My alternative route was Cranfield Rock tt, Musical Fidelity f25 pre, Krell ksa 100 driving Alon V open baffle speakers, with a sealed 12"bass driver
My Linnie friends would just be open mouthed at the bass drive, transparency, soundstage and imagery class A amps and OB speakers could bring to the rave. Sure, they had PRaT, but a tinkling, tapping variety as opposed to the explosive pounding from a big class A monster and big floorstanders
The only british power amp that could go toe to toe mit dem yanks was the Alchemist Kraken, and jeez that were unreliable. But it certainly brought the 'fear factor' in the bass, something neither Linn Or Naim amps ever got close to
Although admittedly i did once consider a pair of DBL's for my outdoor system, but never with naim amps

I do remember being told by one Linn purist that I should also take my phone out of the listening room to make sure there really were just one pair of speakers in the room.

But then I also put green plastic rings around all my first CD’s (that later stuffed up my Meridian transport) because that was supposed to help in keeping them sounding perfect forever. We lived in strange times.

The anti-Linn demos were the ones that Wilson ran 15 years ago, using an IPod as source. Ostensibly to show it's: speakers >>...> source, re importance/heirarchy.

Within the Linn religion, we had the Commandments. Not sure if there were Ten, but amongst these were gems like: ...

Linn LP12 marketing was a total case study for complete messaging. You left demos with your thinking sorted for you.

Unless you were an awkward bugger like me. Having bought Quad ESLs, I then bought an LP12 and was ready to buy a nice amplifier. "Oh, you must have a Naim", my dealer said. "I'd like to listen to a Quad too, it has balance and tone controls which I need" I replied. "It won't be as good" said the dealer, fresh from his Linn/Naim indoctrination. "You must have a Naim! You don't need those controls."

"In that case I'll have a Quad" I replied. And reluctantly he sold one to me.

Good story. And after all that malarkey, and being THIS close to going Linn/Naim, I almost went PT/ATC50. And finally settled on all-Roksan.

Yes, my impulse to go against the stream meant I ditched Linn for their nemesis. PRaT swapped for apparent neutrality and tidiness.

Even then, I was the salmon of audiophiles Lol.

But once Linn became the benchmark, there also arose s market for those who weren't satisfied with flea watt amps and zero bass extension until you'd levelled up with your lp12 and were permitted to start addressing your amp and speakers
My alternative route was Cranfield Rock tt, Musical Fidelity f25 pre, Krell ksa 100 driving Alon V open baffle speakers, with a sealed 12"bass driver
My Linnie friends would just be open mouthed at the bass drive, transparency, soundstage and imagery class A amps and OB speakers could bring to the rave. Sure, they had PRaT, but a tinkling, tapping variety as opposed to the explosive pounding from a big class A monster and big floorstanders
The only british power amp that could go toe to toe mit dem yanks was the Alchemist Kraken, and jeez that were unreliable. But it certainly brought the 'fear factor' in the bass, something neither Linn Or Naim amps ever got close to
Although admittedly i did once consider a pair of DBL's for my outdoor system, but never with naim amps
Gavin, Linn Saras were the boogie kings I seem to remember. They had a facility for active amping. And there were many in the 70s who, despite being able to afford Naim 4-pack Isobarik actives, preferred to stay w the Saras.

Unfortunately i never heard the Saras.
the Sound Gallery, my local Linn dealer, had Naim SBL's as their reference.
They also on occasion had Isobariks but i never got to hear those; by repute they were unusual, excelling in some areas but deficient in others
The SBL's were just underwhelming

Well, it's Naim w Focal now. More yr cup of tea. I'm looking fwds to hearing more about the new Zu flagships, Dominances 2.

12 drivers per side, no crossover.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing