Visit to Marc C.'s (SpiritOfMusic's) House in England

For me it was The Rock.
First Cranfield, then Elite, finally Townshend. I bought mine direct from the designer, John Bugee.
With a name like that was destined to go into music production or repoduction

Mind boggling bass, absolutely top of the pile, with layers of imagery stacked above, superb dynamics and tonality. That would be my favouritest tt of all time, until i got my Artisan Fidelity 301, and in a totally different league as far as value for money. If i were building a budget system, I'd likely use a Rock as vinyl source, ideally with the exact same cartridge, Reson Rica, a heavily tweaked Goldring 1042 that just rocked, pumped, and slammed, while also shimmering, engaging snd delicately singing

They say Ivor was genuinely worried about the Rock

Aaah...nostalgia ain't what it used to be
I loved the Rock reference, much
better than LP12, and it stomped
the shit out of my Nakamichi Dragon.
The Maplenoll Ariadne was the
only TT I heard in the 90 that was
better.

I loved the Rock reference, much
better than LP12, and it stomped
the shit out of my Nakamichi Dragon.
The Maplenoll Ariadne was the
only TT I heard in the 90 that was
better.
Another vinyl > tape verdict.

Another vinyl > tape verdict.
No Marc, I had the Dragon CT with
self centering platter. Typical
Japanese DD sound with cool centering arm, I also had
a extra Forsell air bearing arm added
to the built in half-automatic radial arm. A 3 arm setup, but sonically
not great.

Lagonda, you talked the talk. And walked the walk.

However "poor" these pieces sound, they were borne out of a real technological approach to sorting out technical issues.

It was never really ascertained how deleterious off-centre pressings were/are.

But what a marvel of cracking a riddle was this tt.

My first tt was a JVC DD/linear tracker. £5 for repl stylii, just click in. The tt itself just inches bigger than the lp itself. Sat on top of tuner and amp. You could move the whole rig w one hand. A tad harsh, but what the hey, cool as anything.

Reactions: Lagonda
My first tt was a JVC DD/linear tracker. £5 for repl stylii, just click in. The tt itself just inches bigger than the lp itself. Sat on top of tuner and amp. You could move the whole rig w one hand. A tad harsh, but what the hey, cool as anything.
It was easy to follow the effect of the
self centering mechanisms, on off centered records the Forsell arm would wobble back and forth on the arm tube, after centering it was steady. Nakamichi had cool
mechanisms, the unidirectional
cassette turn system from the movie
“9 1/2 weeks” was a great
lead up to my favorite strip-tease.
Kim Basinger ruined me forever,
I blame that scene for my first
wife:rolleyes:

Last edited:
self centering mechanisms, on off centered records the Forsell arm would wobble back and forth on the arm tube, after centering it was steady. Nakamichi had cool
“9 and a half weeks” was a great
She doesn't look like Mickey Rourke in "The Wrestler", does she?

And we insist on our hifi being "natural" Lol.

And we insist on our hifi being "natural" Lol.
I lived too long in Miami to appreciate natural. When I upgraded my speakers, my second wife wanted an upgrade to. We researched doctors and where advised that the best guy for “natural “ was doctor Roudner, he did all the models and celebs.
The evening before her surgery her “last meal” was at a trendy restaurant in South Beach. Everyone kept going up to this drunk guy saying hello. Who is that ? We asked the waiter. That the famous doctor Roudner he answered :eek:

Last edited:
Haha! I nearly fell off my barstool <hic!>
All I can say is that *another* surgeon would be overindulging in private, if you get my drift
Maybe better "out" than "in"

The Q is, did this deter yr wife?

Haha! I nearly fell off my barstool <hic!>
All I can say is that *another* surgeon would be overindulging in private, if you get my drift
Maybe better "out" than "in"

The Q is, did this deter yr wife?
No of course not. And he did a great job;) We got on the guest list
for his party’s too, the best in South Beach, everyone was so pretty :rolleyes:

This really should be a thread.
Or poll, at least.

How many guys here insist on "natural, neutral, uncoloured etc" in their audio.
And neglect that in their women.

This really should be a thread.
Or poll, at least.

How many guys here insist on "natural, neutral, uncoloured etc" in their audio.
And neglect that in their women.
LOL

Well, especially those guys decrying sorbothane Lol.

Maybe the Stillpoints guys like their gals firm and pointy.
The Troy guys like them ethereal and other worldly, like the soft focus gals in 60s movies.
The DD guys like their women to come to the point.
Guys like me? I like a challenge, and instead of moving on, think that years of therapy w the same partner will bring it all together.

“9 and a half weeks” was a great

That was one of the movies I went for before adulthood. I was tall then but wore a big baggy shirt and my grandma's cataract glasses to look older and slip through into the cinema.

That was one of the movies I went for before adulthood. I was tall then but wore a big baggy shirt and my grandma's cataract glasses to look older and slip through into the cinema.
Sometimes a post needs a Smiley to show it's a parody comment. Like this one.

Sometimes a post needs a Smiley to show it's a parody comment. Like this one.
And sometimes even Ked is just strolling down memory lane, and reminding
the rest of us how old we are :rolleyes:

Maybe
I wanna hear how he sneaked into "50 Shades Of Grey"
And did he take his GG in w him?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing