Visit to Marc C.'s (SpiritOfMusic's) House in England

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Marc,

Wonderful you are getting reaquainted with some great music. I’ve done much the same. I store my vinyl alphabetically and have started a system of listening in order. I started with the A’s and 200 lps later have reached the D’s.

It made me realize how much great music I have not listened to in a long time - it also makes selecting a lot easier!

Jerry
Jerry, it's both delving into the piles of classical and jazz lps I either never fully appreciated because my system was a little too opaque, getting more out of lps I passed over before, and Covid opening up time.
I'm still aware of system limits on absolute neutrality and transparency. But tbh, the systems that max those aspects end up impenetrable on my core genres of prog and fusion.
For me, Zu remains truly hard to beat at the immersive/immediate hit on challenging recorded/mastered Rush, King Crimson, Magma, 70s Miles Davis, Mahavishnu Orchestra, but I've managed to bridge the gap on as uncluttered a presentation on eg the DG vinyl boxset of Beethoven String Qts that never spoke to me before. Ditto opening up of Miles Davis Live At Plugged Nickel 10-lp Mosaic box.
I don't care what anyone says, it's almost impossible to have it all in this hobby, the full bloom of brilliantly rendered 5* classical lps and full engagement on sonically challenging chaff that makes up 70% of my library.
Now my system gets as good a balance on reproducing Rush AND Ravel.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
This is not teasing you Marc. I really did not know the meaning of the word "epiphany" until I met you here in this forum. You broke my virginity of "epiphany."
Tang, c'mon now...The General's unobtanium great lps on AS/Lamm/Cessaros...and you're saying you don't know the word "epiphany"...c'mon now Lol.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Marc truly is the King of epiphanies ;)
More like Sting wrote, King Of Pain...I mean, Zus for 12 yrs now, it's the ecstacy and the agony.

Reactions: Lagonda

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Fascinating exercise in taking subs settings down. I know our great leader SteveW has done this on a bigger scale w his Wilsons, but my little experience is telling in many ways too.

In my previous room, a harsh, reflective, cold acoustic, I tended to compensate for lack of warmth from the main drivers by having my subs cut in much too strongly, 55Hz and 6 to 7/10 level.

This led to a much smearier, more bloated sound than ideal, obscuring air and fine detail, and proper bass definition.

Moving here, and optimising things, getting way better low frequencies performance in the room generally, and much reduced hash, got me to be able to drop the subs to 41Hz and level 5/10.

And now that level even less to 3.7/10.

In the past, that would have left my sound too stark and skeletal. And it took a tiny bit of getting used to. But the experience today of listening to Cream lp "Wheels Of Fire" and live track "Spoonful" absolutely confirmed I've got it right.

The song ends with a rumbling improv/jam of low frequency intensity bass growl/guitar duelling and rolling double bass drum/fancy snare drum/toms and ride cymbal work. In the past the interplay and low level info was lost to me. Today there was so much more definition and clarity, and the extra bass articulation totally made up for any lack of "greater amount" of bass I had before.

Indeed it's fascinating how what I was used to was not more bass, but more smear, fuzz and distortion. Now the weight and articulation sounds just right.

Another landmark on the way to the correct destination, bloom and resolution in correct proportion.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
So after reading in another thread the positives some are getting removing treatments from front wall, I gave it a go. Bearing in mind I had my three GIK 242 panels there, and at side wall reflection points, then removed them before Ron Resnick visited, then reinstalled them after Barry/Blue58 visited, a year ago.

Having made massive strides since reinstall, I thought I'd try without these panels again...and it was instantly wrong. Music seemed "hollower" w way less focus. I'm curious as to how diffusers might work as an alternative to these absorbers. Panels back in.

I then proceeded to move back to my original seating position. Ie 10' instead of 13' from my Zus, w attendant extra toe-in. And in balance, I'm preferring the slight extra snap in dynamics and solidity of image. Just more focussed and energetic.

At this point, all changes are binary...they work or they don't. Either I know a lot more what I like, or changes are way more apparent as good or bad, or my setup and room are way more communicative and resolved, meaning any change immediately registers.

Even VTA...now it's absolutely apparent what's right for any lp. VTF, can now easily tell when it's drifted. And Zu subs settings...I'm winding them right down. Deep bass is just in the equation. Ok, this means I'm not delving much South of 35-37Hz...but tbh, the Zu full range drivers are pretty fleshed out down to 40Hz, that I'm pretty content. Fine detail, and basslines articulation is better this way. And it's a compromise right now I'm happy to make w the overall sound balance in my room so good...warm, smooth, dynamic, resolved and immersive.

Reactions: carolus

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Some thoughts please. Removing my GIK absorbers from front wall and side walls reflection points led to a real drop in focus and solidity, totally negative.
Does that suggest I need to leave them be, or would there be scope for diffuser panels maybe being more appropriate?
Or can I not draw any conclusion other than the room benefits from some help?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
With Ack's encouragement, gonna try a DIY approach to chassis damping
0.25" Isodamp w 0.5kg mass loading (likely steel bench blocks).
Will try this system wide. And then in Autumn when lockdown in UK over, try a 3-way comparison of this system versus HRS Damping Plates versus a new British designed and made footer/damper that's just being released on the market, utilising a fascinating approach to vibn mitigation.
Indeed, I'm gonna trial these first as component footers under gear, and then try them as chassis dampers. And then relay findings. They are designed like HRS Damping Plates and Nimbus footers to be used as a "closed" system, so final test will be trialled on top and under gear.
3-way comparison in Autumn.
Still waiting for a big set to arrive from Europe.

Reactions: ack

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Been having a lot of fun playing around with a few sets of footers reasonably new to the market. I think they could upset a few established applecarts, because they do so many things so well.

Once I've collected my thoughts after a few more days listening I'll post my findings. It'll be good to spread the good word on a really worthy addition to the world of uber engineered footers. And this one has some very interesting use of materials to achieve it's desired outcome.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Been having a lot of fun playing around with a few sets of footers reasonably new to the market. I think they could upset a few established applecarts, because they do so many things so well.

Once I've collected my thoughts after a few more days listening I'll post my findings. It'll be good to spread the good word on a really worthy addition to the world of uber engineered footers. And this one has some very interesting use of materials to achieve it's desired outcome.
I'm really looking forward to that :cool:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sure Christoph. Hoping it'll be an interesting read. I have tried many footers and own a couple of types, and despite the naysayers, they really do make a difference, often negatively. This one is really positive and I've been intently listening out for those give away sonic traits that let the side down. I'm not detecting any.

Hoping to report on Thu when I get 5mins free from work.

Reactions: christoph

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Getting back to workIng on the footers... does that mean you’ve swapped across to being a chiropodist Marc... this has been a very rough pandemic!!

PS Great to hear work has gotten back into the swing of things. Much better than the other options.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
It is great to hear you are getting back to cracking bones Marc. Get those bones back where they belong and make the life of your patient better is noble.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Thank you fellas, the mood was black re business 8 weeks ago. However, my system sounding very well sorted and immersive was one of the few plus points.

Upon telling my friend here and budding audio engineer that his footers were gonna have to be special to take things up a level or three, he was still confident. He was right to be.

Graham, the poor podiatrists are struggling. Older clients are freaked by Covid having known friends in their age bracket pass...they're still not properly venturing out.

Tang, it is a very satisfying job. And I seem to be quite good at it. The longer the orthodox medical establishment treat my patients w barely restrained disdain, the longer I'll stay popular.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Keep up the most excellent work Marc. Healthcare is vital.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The longer the orthodox medical establishment treat my patients w barely restrained disdain, the longer I'll stay popular.

You mean off the forum

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I'll always spare time for you, Ked.
Call it your Covid Dividend, and my deep felt need to be charitable.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Sure Christoph. Hoping it'll be an interesting read. I have tried many footers and own a couple of types, and despite the naysayers, they really do make a difference, often negatively. This one is really positive and I've been intently listening out for those give away sonic traits that let the side down. I'm not detecting any.

Hoping to report on Thu when I get 5mins free from work.

Marc, yes, there are many naysayers regarding the various footer options that are out there. Much of it has to do with cost versus performance, and is there value. I know few who contend that they make no audible difference. Most will acknowledge they change the sound, but they simply don't like the result, or think it is not significant enough to justify the cost.

Part of the challenge is designing a product that works effectively in a variety of different settings and conditions. What is happening at the component end, and what kind of surface and structure is the footer being placed on?

What is the context in which the designer is voicing his device? Is it the same or similar enough to the context in which the customer will be using the device? Does it add something, or remove something?

I look forward to reading your report.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hi Peter
The footers were a hugely interesting trial. Alas, even if they'd totally convinced me, their price a little too much for me. My report is up on it's own thread.

Unless I get compelling evidence to the contrary, I'm also unlikely to go down the bespoke tt speed controller route. For many reasons, cost, and true lack of confidence this will work out. I have to be careful not to ruin a design synergy in the theoretical pursuit of better sound.

However, I've just ordered the SOTA Roadrunner tt speed tach...just to have a realtime readout of where my tt speed is. Lagonda suggested this.

And thanks to PJWD's advice, also just ordered 8 no. 1200x300x25 PET boards from GB Acoustics to use as diffusers on my 30° descending eaves at reflection points.

Soon to order Herbies Tube Dampers on my quad of 211s.

And this Isodamp/steel bench blocks idea for top chassis damping, all thanks to Ack's prompting.

And a mods package to my Eera Tentation cdp.

Bocchinos nos. 2 and 3 to the Sablon Elites pwr cords pencilled in, plus Straingauge stylii replacements.

Awaiting Covid lockdown to end to visit Audiophile Bill, and collect the Kondo age-annealed silver/Bocchinos RCAs/gold Cardas tags tonearm wire he has so kindly put together for me.

That wire is pretty significant. Other than necessary Straingauge stylus replacements, it's the last piece in my analog jigsaw that started in 2013 when I bought what's turned out to be my final tt rig.

Last edited:

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing