I visited audioquattr last week and, after I swore to him that I would not say a word about this amazing new system, I had to have Tinka put duct tape over my mouth because I have been bursting at the seams wanting to tell people what I heard from this system.

From the one-of-a-kind Cessaro Zeta system we all heard in Munich this year, to the Alieno amp (which I heard at Jeroen’s over a year ago), to the Grado Epoch on the absurdly complicated looking but amazing sounding Reed 5T on a brand new TechDAS AF3 Premium sitting on a Stacore platform, to the lengthened dedicated listening room, to the in-the-wall giant subwoofer drivers this is, to my ears, one of the two or three best systems I have ever heard in my life. (Jeroen also has the world’s first client copy of the brand new Alieno line stage preamplifier.)

Now that Jeroen has posted a photo of his stunning system on the AF3 thread I can finally spill the beans. This is such a unique system, with multiple presently one-of-a-kind components, I told Jeroen that, like MikeL’s system, among the systems I have heard personally, I think this is a system of real significance in the world of high-end audio.

After I visited Jeroen I did not write a coherent, comprehensive visit report like I normally do. So my observations on this thread are going to be more stream of consciousness rather than my usual coherence.

I did not even take any photos while I was there because I almost did not trust myself not to post them. I did take a cool video, but I do not know how to upload it here. Update a photo here:

aqCesZ1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the SGM Extreme + Lampizator Pacific equals or exceeds (I have no idea which) the best digital I have ever heard.

It confirmed my general view that digital recordings should not be converted to vinyl. We played a couple of current pop songs which were digitally recorded and which sound noticeably worse on LP than through the streamer.

It definitely is great to have streaming for guests to be able to play their own favorite songs.

Last edited:
Kinda agree there. For the first time, I'm buying current recordings on cd, existing 60s and 70s classical and jazz on (s/h) vinyl, and judicious spread of lp and cd for reissue boxsets/anthologies etc. 5 years ago I strove for everything on vinyl, incl digital recordings.

Maybe the analog v digital debate was always gonna end up this way, each medium suited to the way it was recorded and mastered. And it's taken 3 decades plus for digital to get to such a great point that digital recordings played on digital players are as compelling as analog recordings played on analog devices.

Ron, your conclusion/differentiation totally mirrors Emile of Taiko Audio verdict when he visited Mike Lavigne. He reported analog recordings played on Mike's tts and Studer sounded way better than the Extreme/MSB, roles reversed when playing digital provenance material.

Not by direct comparison but I am confident that on analog recordings even the SGM Extreme + Pacific DAC (a beautiful piece of equipment, by the way) does not achieve the transparency and alive-ness of analog playback.

Ron, can you make any comparisons btwn this visit and Pnoes at The General's? I know you love both sounds. Do you feel the extra bass oomph from the Cessaro subs creates a more extended full range sound for music that needs a greater low end presentation? Or would you sacrifice the Cessaro bass performance for the greater holism maybe inherent in the Pnoes full range driver/zero crossover approach?

(...) Maybe the analog v digital debate was always gonna end up this way, each medium suited to the way it was recorded and mastered. And it's taken 3 decades plus for digital to get to such a great point that digital recordings played on digital players are as compelling as analog recordings played on analog devices. (...)

Well, I don't think so, the debate is endless and non conclusive, forums will last forever just on it! IMHO we do not have data enough to conclude anything definitive on this subject, as no one is really interested in it. BTW what is analog top to you - direct cut vinyl, top LPs or tape?

And we did not need 3 decades plus to get good digital - since the middle 90's with the Levinson ML31-30, the DCS Elgar and similar we had great digital sound reproduction. Surely I now prefer the Vivaldi! ;)

I can top you on great digital
2-box Marantz CD12/DA12 from late 80s.

I'm just commenting on this era being the one where analog superiority (to someone like me who has always felt this is where real music breathes) is now coming up against maybe the world's preeminent transport (Extreme) and bleeding edge dacs (MSB Select, Wadax Ref, TotalDac 12 etc).
On the basis of a totally comprehensive straw poll of 3 listeners Lol, Ron, Mike Lavigne and Emile, their joint conclusion is on DDD recordings, Extreme-based digital front end has the edge over SOTA analog like Audioquattr's and Mike's, golden age analog still breathes and lives more off lp, and tape.
No more is it a case that one method trumps the other. At the exalted uber high end, it's the recording/mastering provenance that dictates the method of playback for most suitable choice.

As I say, on a sample of three listeners.

I have a different spin on the different formats. All I care about is does a particular format allow me to play an album or track and pretty much immediately suck me into the music so that I don't even think about if I'm playing vinyl, R2R or the Extreme.

I want to listen to music and not care about what format sounds best, just so each format reaches the level that I don't think about formats and focus on the music that is being played.

Personally I am there at this point with all of my formats and that makes me not care about formats but let's me care about the music which is what I love the most.

Ditto Bob. For me, discovering my Eera cdp in 2013 was a total revelation, allowing me to be fully immersed by 16/44 for the first time. Getting my tt on a Stacore and properly optimise it meant fully getting the most out of my lps. Right now as I approach 2020, I love both. So many cds just fully involve, my lps totally engage. Both complement each other than my analog/digital divide a decade ago.

I guess when one has fully optimised SOTA analog and digital like Mike has, recording provenance can really become apparent.

Ditto Bob. For me, discovering my Eera cdp in 2013 was a total revelation, allowing me to be fully immersed by 16/44 for the first time. Getting my tt on a Stacore and properly optimise it meant fully getting the most out of my lps. Right now as I approach 2020, I love both. So many cds just fully involve, my lps totally engage. Both complement each other than my analog/digital divide a decade ago.

I guess when one has fully optimised SOTA analog and digital like Mike has, recording provenance can really become apparent.

Personally I am experiencing a "golden age" of listening to music.....it's never been better and I am so grateful for it.

Reactions: Al M.
We can read about analog v. digital all day on other threads. I'm more curious about this beautiful system. Ron, what kind of music does Audioquattr listen to? Does the system favor one genre over another? It looks at though the VYGER has replaced the Kronos. Did Audioquattr discuss this change with you? How about the Mayer phono and the Pass XS phono? Did he discuss the differences, or did you hear each? Thanks for your great reporting. This is an incredible looking room and system and I particularly like the gear rack behind the sofa.

We can read about analog v. digital all day on other threads. I'm more curious about this beautiful system. Ron, what kind of music does Audioquattr listen to? Does the system favor one genre over another? It looks at though the VYGER has replaced the Kronos. Did Audioquattr discuss this change with you? How about the Mayer phono and the Pass XS phono? Did he discuss the differences, or did you hear each? Thanks for your great reporting. This is an incredible looking room and system and I particularly like the gear rack behind the sofa.
Sorry for being OT:
Peter, often times you ask exact the questions I would (like to) ask :cool:
Just that you actually do it ;)
Thanks for that :D

We heard some tracks through the Pass and some tracks through the Mayer. I hope Audioquattr weighs in with his answers to your questions.

My impression is that Audioquattr listens mostly to jazz and classical but he also likes some vocals and some popular and electronic-type music.

I think Audioquattr prefers the build quality of the TechDAS over the build quality of the Kronos, but I defer to him for elaboration.

The Epoch was not pulling the sonic weight it pulled last year when I was mesmerized by the Epoch on the Reed linear tracker. Jeroen thinks this may be because the Pass phono is not as transparent as the Mayer phono. This time the Epoch sounded a bit dull and lifeless and overly smooth. I was very confused about this.

Last edited:
Reactions: zerostargeneral
Ron, a good example of the critical need for component matching in top systems, esp analog. Any idea why Audioquattr is still running the Reed arm?

Any thoughts on the Alieno? Can you isolate it's influence from total system performance?

I think the Cessaro system is more of an all-purpose system for an unlimited variety of musical genres

We heard some tracks through the Pass and some tracks through the Mayer. I hope Audioquattr weighs in with his answers to your questions.

My impression is that Audioquattr istens mostly to jazz and classical but he also likes some vocals and some popular and electronic-type music.

I think Audioquattr prefers the build quality of the TechDAS over the build quality of the Kronos, but I defer to him for elaboration.

The Epoch was not pulling the sonic weight it pulled last year when I was mesmerized by the Epoch on the Reed linear tracker. Jeroen thinks this may be because the Pass phono is not as transparent as the Mayer phono. This time the Epoch sounded a bit dull and lifeless and overly smooth. I was very confused about this.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing