I visited audioquattr last week and, after I swore to him that I would not say a word about this amazing new system, I had to have Tinka put duct tape over my mouth because I have been bursting at the seams wanting to tell people what I heard from this system.

From the one-of-a-kind Cessaro Zeta system we all heard in Munich this year, to the Alieno amp (which I heard at Jeroen’s over a year ago), to the Grado Epoch on the absurdly complicated looking but amazing sounding Reed 5T on a brand new TechDAS AF3 Premium sitting on a Stacore platform, to the lengthened dedicated listening room, to the in-the-wall giant subwoofer drivers this is, to my ears, one of the two or three best systems I have ever heard in my life. (Jeroen also has the world’s first client copy of the brand new Alieno line stage preamplifier.)

Now that Jeroen has posted a photo of his stunning system on the AF3 thread I can finally spill the beans. This is such a unique system, with multiple presently one-of-a-kind components, I told Jeroen that, like MikeL’s system, among the systems I have heard personally, I think this is a system of real significance in the world of high-end audio.

After I visited Jeroen I did not write a coherent, comprehensive visit report like I normally do. So my observations on this thread are going to be more stream of consciousness rather than my usual coherence.

I did not even take any photos while I was there because I almost did not trust myself not to post them. I did take a cool video, but I do not know how to upload it here. Update a photo here:

aqCesZ1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering the same thing. It looks like all arms have been moved onto the AF3.

See post #45, https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...ystem-of-audioquattr.26987/page-3#post-545203

I was wondering the same thing. It looks like all arms have been moved onto the AF3.

Congratulations Audioquattr! This rooms looks simply amazing. The lighting and camera angles of those photographs are superb. I feel the mood and would love to hear this system. I also really like the equipment rack behind the listening sofa. What a great looking room and system set up.

What speakers did these replace and how do they sound different? I presume the amps were used for both sets of speakers? I love the idea of the inwall woofers.

Thank you Peter, i have put a lot of work in this room the last few years.

The last 2 years i had the Magico M3.
Well this is completely other level on all characteristics. The overall tone is more beautifull from low to the highest highs.
Everything is even more precise and much more detailed. The speed and dynamics is the biggest difference.
Also soundstage is wider and more depht, you can walk through the soundstage. There is now a clear soundstage everywhere on the cough and behind. Not only at the sweetspot as with the M3 in my room.

Davey, What do you think is the right output for a good balance of low level resolution and dynamics/jump? Or can such a generalization be made?

Peter, I don't think a specific number can be relied upon, except to say that from my experience as the output drops below about 0.35mv@5cm/sec it begins to stress a lot of phono stages. My new Lyra has an output of 0.5mv, which i find to be very useable. The cartridges IME that are ultra low output, say around 0.2mv and less, are prone to issues that IMO don't make up for the gains that one hears about with less coil wire.
Interestingly, I believe the designer of My Sonic Labs, Mr.Matsudaira-san seems to be of the same opinion.( although he seems to have figured out how to drop the number of coil turns while still keeping a decent output, impressive! )

BTW, as we know, many cartridge manufacturer's test their output at varying cm/sec. I think the standard being 5 cm/sec, but some folks like 3.54 cm/sec...which tends to skew the result. Nonetheless, if we utilize the standard 5 cm/sec, then what I said above is apropos.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron Resnick
I could not detect any weaknesses. I would give it a 10 on each of the usual audiophile characteristics. I found image sizes to be realistic. In this 31’ long room the speakers were pulled well into the room so there was plenty of depth.

I told audioquattr that if my system sounds 3/4 as good as his I will be ecstatic.

Alieno amplifier research: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/alieno-ltd-250-amplifier.24852/#post-496806

Look, Ron is enjoying and making up the points :).

5D38DA2C-0207-4AE8-A7A6-CB2CB17D2219.jpeg

Thank you Dave!
I agree. The H+ for subbass and 15M for bass, it is lighter and (because of that) higher sensitivity.

15M I liked for midbass, used down low it has a lot more distortion vs the H+ woofers though, which make them sound warmer and "bouncier" but not quite as accurate vs the H+. The H+ are so clean it takes some getting used for many people, the sound of the M woofers is closer to what most expect to hear.

I'm not sure where your xo frequency is, but if it's under the transition frequency of the room I'd try letting the 18s do everything. One of the nice things about the AE woofers is the ultra low inductance so they easily cover higher frequencies.

See post #45, https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...ystem-of-audioquattr.26987/page-3#post-545203

Thank you Peter, i have put a lot of work in this room the last few years.

The last 2 years i had the Magico M3.
Well this is completely other level on all characteristics. The overall tone is more beautifull from low to the highest highs.
Everything is even more precise and much more detailed. The speed and dynamics is the biggest difference.
Also soundstage is wider and more depht, you can walk through the soundstage. There is now a clear soundstage everywhere on the cough and behind. Not only at the sweetspot as with the M3 in my room.

Thanks. I appreciate your comments about the M3s.

What are the prices of the Alieno amp and preamp ?
There is only one dealer in Italy and they don't mention price.

15M I liked for midbass, used down low it has a lot more distortion vs the H+ woofers though, which make them sound warmer and "bouncier" but not quite as accurate vs the H+. The H+ are so clean it takes some getting used for many people, the sound of the M woofers is closer to what most expect to hear.

I'm not sure where your xo frequency is, but if it's under the transition frequency of the room I'd try letting the 18s do everything. One of the nice things about the AE woofers is the ultra low inductance so they easily cover higher frequencies.
I also have 15H here and tested both but prefered soundwise the M. But i don't use them(15M) under 32hz. There's a 28hz cancelling (LBIR at 3,3m (list. dist. from backwall)). Thats why i crossed them with 60dB/oct @33hz and high cut 6dB @ 66hz and finally 60db@95Hz.
The sub18h (from 10-33hz) is on a other place/distance so LBIR and SBIR are under control.
So i don't have to boost anything and are distorsions low.
Only a lot of measuring,finetuning,listen, measuring,finetuning,listen, etc > fun.

sorry to much talk.. come and listen ;-)

Reactions: DaveC
sorry to much talk.. come and listen ;-)

Sounds great! And, it's been too long since I visited family in Germany... I'd certainly take a trip to NL to hear your system! :) Maybe in the spring/summer... I spent quite a bit of time in DK during the winter working for Vestas, it's cold and there's very little light. ;)

Sounds great! And, it's been too long since I visited family in Germany... I'd certainly take a trip to NL to hear your system! :) Maybe in the spring/summer... I spent quite a bit of time in DK during the winter working for Vestas, it's cold and there's very little light. ;)
That's a good reason!:) You are welcome.

Reactions: DaveC
@audioquattr. Do you play the Epoch through the MM input or MC? If MC what loading are you using. I dig info on this cart and found a review on Positive Feedback said using MC loading around 300-400 Ohm. While on another forum a guy said he was using in MM input. Both found the sound terrific. Didnt make sense to me.

Kind regards,
Tang

@audioquattr. Do you play the Epoch through the MM input or MC? If MC what loading are you using. I dig info on this cart and found a review on Positive Feedback said using MC loading around 300-400 Ohm. While on another forum a guy said he was using in MM input. Both found the sound terrific. Didnt make sense to me.

Kind regards,
Tang
It can be done both.
I use it on MC with 47000 Ohm loading. Everything above 20K can work i think.
Below that it sounds slower and rolled off / handbrake on...
It has about 10 dB more output than MSL platinum/ Opus and about 4dB less than a Colibri Master sign 1.1mV, still can easy use it on MC input. Hope this helps.

Kind regards

Reactions: bonzo75
It can be done both.
I use it on MC with 47000 Ohm loading. Everything above 20K can work i think.
Below that it sounds slower and rolled off / handbrake on...
It has about 10 dB more output than MSL platinum/ Opus and about 4dB less than a Colibri Master sign 1.1mV, still can easy use it on MC input. Hope this helps.

Kind regards

Darn. This is a tough one. Too low to play without a stepup through MM. Too high loading for most MC.

Thank you sir.

Tang

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing