• Mitt Romney

Votes: 30 44.8%
  • Barack Obama

Votes: 37 55.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps something lost in translation, but edorr's point - I think - is that higher taxes doesn't mean you will make the US a third world country; indeed, quite the opposite, there are examples of highly developed societies with very high tax rates.

How true.

I remember back in Canada in the 70's when I was first in practice paying an effective tax rate IIRC close to 60% and mortgage interest was not (and still not) tax deductible

BTW, I moved to the USA in 1978

Please point me to one with a population exceeding a 100 million and have as loose a immigration policy as ours with zero protectionism , Ohh and with higher corporate tax rates ..

Take your time ....:)

Do you still pay taxes to Belgium (I think you said that is your native country) or are you an American citizen now

I am Dutch. I am not a US citizen but I pay no Dutch taxes. Unlike the US, the Dutch do not tax their citicens on the basis of their global income once they leave the country

They are not 3rd world countries , by any measure ....!!!

Let me recap. Yoo assert high taxation hurt the poor. I refute this by giving the example of highly taxes countries (Sweden and the like) that have far less of a poverty problem than the lower taxed US (at similar GDP/capita levels).

A second inconsistent with your assertion is the fact that lowly taxed third world countries have a huge poverty problem. I'm sure you can find a few 3rd world countries with very high marginal top tax bracket rates, but by and large taxation in 3rd world countries is far lower than in developed countries.

Ahhhhh x 2 ..

I can see clearly now the rain is gone ........:)
Johnny Nash. Good song. Was published by Danny Sims. Who just died recently. Danny was the guy who signed Bob Marley before Chris Blackwell picked him up.
Just thought I'd interject a little music into an otherwise numbing conversation. And yes, A. Wayne, you can tell me to stop interrupting again. :)

Please point me to one with a population exceeding a 100 million and have as loose a immigration policy as ours with zero protectionism , Ohh and with higher corporate tax rates ..

Take your time ....:)

I am not sure what these parameters have to do with anything we are discussing. Taxation is a very complex problem and at the root of it we have total deficit (or surplus) as a percentage of GDP - i.e. what is really sustainable debt and what is not. If we are to believe that 120% deficit of GDP is the sustainable ceiling (as the Europeans, the ECB and the IMF have been talking about recently wrt the European mess), then the US has a little more room, but the deficit is quickly bloating. In addition, unlike most other countries, the US "formula" has a few other important parameters to factor in, like a tremendous defense budget, which it alone dwarfs a lot of other countries' entire GDPs.

Ahhhhh....;)

It gets better. Expats working in The Netherlands pay far lower taxes than residents / citizens. If I have been out of the country for >10 years, I qualify as an expat if/when I move back (for some period of time) and pay lower taxes than the guy living next to me.

The Dutch millionare soccer players were have fits avout this, because their fellow foreign players on the amsterdam team were paying lower taxes than they, and they tried to make the case they should be taxed lower as well, or otherwise they would start playing abroad.

Understandably, the general public responded by saying screw you and good luck with your career in Saudi Arabia. The Dutch don't respond favorably to multi millionaires clamering for a tax break. I like that about my country....

Lol , you need to get out more often edorr , i can ask wifey for you , if need be ...:)

You can't even imagine the taxes in a 3rd world country unless you have lived it ...

I have lived and am from the poorest country in the Americas and one of the poorest in the World and income taxes there are not you are talking about .. It is actually nominally low ...the ceiling is low about 25%. Now do people actually pay the taxes? .. Whole different thing

I am with edorr, countries with the Highest standard of Living on the planet do actually have very high taxes rates. Companies are not lining to go to other places ...

Let me recap. Yoo assert high taxation hurt the poor. I refute this by giving the example of highly taxes countries (Sweden and the like) that have far less of a poverty problem than the lower taxed US (at similar GDP/capita levels).

A second inconsistent with your assertion is the fact that lowly taxed third world countries have a huge poverty problem. I'm sure you can find a few 3rd world countries with very high marginal top tax bracket rates, but by and large taxation in 3rd world countries is far lower than in developed countries.

This is nothing more than tail chasing ..

1. You said 3rd world countries have low taxation , i said they did not ..
2.you said Sweden was a 3rd world country they are not ...

To show you how rediculous your position is , you have not responded to my previous question nor can you name another a country with a population exceeding 100 million that can function as you claim.

Regards ,

I have lived and am from the poorest country in the Americas and one of the poorest in the World and income taxes there are not you are talking about .. It is actually nominally low ...the ceiling is low about 25%. Now do people actually pay the taxes? .. Whole different thing

I am with edorr, countries with the Highest standard of Living on the planet do actually have very high taxes rates. Companies are not lining to go to other places ...

Pay attn Sir , i said TAXES .....as in taxation ...!!! And since you and edorr believe in such may i suggest migration to these lovely tax paradises ..:)

I have , been there done that , the taxation is off the chain , i know, i have paid them and edorr's position is the same as many i know who dont pay or pay very little taxes , they think it doesnt affect them , it does in higher and higher cost of living ...

Regards

Where in the Americas are you from? Bolivia is the poorest country in the Americas - backpacked my way through it 25 years ago. Beautifull, but dirt poor indeed.

Pay attn Sir , i said TAXES .....as in taxation ...!!!!

We are all on the edge of our seat and paying attention, waiting for you to clarify your assertion that high taxation is bad for the poor, preferably backed up with some data.

This is nothing more than tail chasing ..

1. You said 3rd world countries have low taxation , i said they did not ..
2.you said Sweden was a 3rd world country they are not ...

To show you how rediculous your position is , you have not responded to my previous question nor can you name another a country with a population exceeding 100 million that can function as you claim.

Regards ,

Read my post. You are confusing things. I never said Sweden was a third world country. I said Sweden had high taxation and low poverty and many 3rd world countries the opposite.

I simply do not understand your 100 million population question.

Where in the Americas are you from? Bolivia is the poorest country in the Americas - backpacked my way through it 25 years ago. Beautifull, but dirt poor indeed.

I think Frantz lives on Haiti?

waiting for you to clarify your assertion that high taxation is bad for the poor, preferably backed up with some data.

actually it increases the roles of the poor....higher taxes, more entitlements, spawning future generations of a "lazy" entitlement society creating no wealth for the country. Let's not forget these people are slaves the govt. They have lost their freedom if they are smart enough to realize it or not. The USA will not bcome a marginalized euro style nation...not in my generation anyway.

actually it increases the roles of the poor....higher taxes, more entitlements, spawning future generations of a "lazy" entitlement society creating no wealth for the country. Let's not forget these people are slaves the govt. They have lost their freedom if they are smart enough to realize it or not. The USA will not bcome a marginalized euro style nation...not in my generation anyway.

I asked for data. Not ideology. Sweden may be a country full of entitled government slaves, but a poverty problem they have not. Meanwhile in the lower tax USA rural Alabama eerily resembles a 3rd world country. Let's stick with the issue at hand - how does high taxation hurt the poor?

I presently live in the USA but am and have lived in Haiti. I am currently in Haiti on business. I though we were the poorest .. Interesting. Need to check that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing