Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
Question to those who tried the Wadax Reference DAC with and without the Wadax Reference Server:

How much (ref 100%) one would get of the magic if going only for the Wadax Reference DAC without the Wadax Reference Server, using it with another top server such as the Taiko Extreme?

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Question to those who tried the Wadax Reference DAC with and without the Wadax Reference Server:

How much (ref 100%) one would get of the magic if going only for the Wadax Reference DAC without the Wadax Reference Server, using it with another top server such as the Taiko Extr

Reactions: VPN

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
right here in this post i did that this past January. the Wadax dac was great into the Taiko Extreme, but even better with the Wadax Ref server.
How much (ref 100%) one would get of the magic if going only for the Wadax Reference DAC without the Wadax Reference Server, using it with another top server such as the Taiko Extreme?
lots of the magic. a big step up with the Wadax over the MSB Select II dac i had. YMMV.

Reactions: VPN

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Can someone explain the Wadax integration with Roon and how they adapt to version changes that could potentially effect sound quality?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Can someone explain the Wadax integration with Roon and how they adapt to version changes that could potentially effect sound quality?
it's all automatic except your mobile remote which might need an update. the Wadax itself should already be done.

sound quality wise.....you rely on Wadax to manage that. have reference tracks you can listen to for your own peace of mind. to my ears no change from this latest round of upgrades.

Reactions: wil

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
it's all automatic except your mobile remote which might need an update. the Wadax itself should already be done.

sound quality wise.....you rely on Wadax to manage that. have reference tracks you can listen to for your own peace of mind. to my ears no change from this latest round of upgrades.
It is indeed all automatic with small changes in Roon. This week I updated Roon to 2.0 without contacting Wadax. However, today I had contact with Javier and he informed me that Wadax needs to verify whether all server settings are correct after this significant Roon change. So Wadax needed to finish the Roon 2.0 set up for me. I have the impression (after listening for about half an hour) that after their check up the music presentation became a tad more fluent.

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...this, to me, is the most troublesome aspect of having a core element of one's product ecosystem based on another company's product. Reading the early Extreme posts, with guys chasing sonic dragons with every Roon update, was sobering.

Not lobbing grenades here, just an observation on the dependency. It must make the Wadax guys a little nervous, as focussed as they are on perfection. Have they ever mentioned an in-house player software?

Steve Vu

Oct 26, 2020
...this, to me, is the most troublesome aspect of having a core element of one's product ecosystem based on another company's product. Reading the early Extreme posts, with guys chasing sonic dragons with every Roon update, was sobering.

Not lobbing grenades here, just an observation on the dependency. It must make the Wadax guys a little nervous, as focussed as they are on perfection. Have they ever mentioned an in-house player software?
I don't know who feels nervous when Roon releases the new version. I am a Wadax user and I always update Roon immediately without thinking.

You should read Javier's interview to understand why Wadax do not need their own player software.

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...I did. I am following the thread with interest, although I own an Extreme and MSB Reference dac. The tech is fascinating and I am always interested to learn what's new. I am not a person who touts my way, or my gear is best. There are many ways to the top of the mountain.

Steve Vu

Oct 26, 2020
Yes, me too. I also follow Taiko thread although I own Wadax combo. I owned Dcs combo in the past. So I understand a link between music server and its player software clearly.

Now, I use Wadax and Wadax use Roon as their main player software. So I do not see any problem when I use Roon on Wadax.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
French composer Claude Debussy said, “Music is the space between the notes.” As a minimalist, I love this quote: it reminds us that beauty needs a certain amount of emptiness to be appreciated. The space between notes allows them to resonate, reverberate, and reach their full measure of expression

I have been trying to find the words to describe what I m hearing and I used the word "more" well I think that my system and the Wadax particularly brings the space or the "more". Its this "more" that I am hearing now that I keep pushing the boundaries with my room and system to get more and more from it. These little things in conjunction with the much better source brings this "more" to life.
I don't want to use the meaningless audiophile terms that have been prostituted so as to become meaningless. When words don't have or describe their meaning the discussion becomes mired in semantic arguments.

THis afternoon I had a few people come in and listen to a guitar type listening session. Larry Carlton, Robben Ford, Paco De lucia , Al Dimeola, and Joe Satriani, and Jeff Beck. At the end all of them just smiled and shook their heads. Six players, same instruments, six works of art, six different styles, six different types/brands and six big smiles. This is what I think music is about and words don't convey it.

Last edited:

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Paco de Lucía?

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
French composer Claude Debussy said, “Music is the space between the notes.” As a minimalist, I love this quote: it reminds us that beauty needs a certain amount of emptiness to be appreciated. The space between notes allows them to resonate, reverberate, and reach their full measure of expression

I have been trying to find the words to describe what I m hearing and I used the word "more" well I think that my system and the Wadax particularly brings the space or the "more". Its this "more" that I am hearing now that I keep pushing the boundaries with my room and system to get more and more from it. These little things in conjunction with the much better source brings this "more" to life.
I don't want to use the meaningless audiophile terms that have been prostituted so as to become meaningless. When words don't have or describe their meaning the discussion becomes mired in semantic arguments.

THis afternoon I had a few people come in and listen to a guitar type listening session. Larry Carlton, Robben Ford, Paco De lucia , Al Dimeola, and Joe Satriani, and Jeff Beck. At the end all of them just smiled and shook their heads. Six players, same instruments, six works of art, six different styles, six different types/brands and six big smiles. This is what I think music is about and words don't convey it.
Your reference to a quote of (one of my favorite classical composers) Claude Debussy in the context of trying to express in words what the Wadax reference combo is doing for you musically, is a wonderful find Elliot.

Reactions: Elliot G.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Yes my error. Try Mediterranean Sundance on Elegant Gypsy
Since you like Spanish guitar, listen to the album: Vivencias Imaginadas (Vicente Amigo)

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
A very interesting and insightful review indeed from Roy. The costs are staggering if someone wants to go all out … but I suppose all those audiophiles who want ‘the best’ file and streaming reply, well you get the picture:).

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
After reading Roy’s marvelous review for a second time there is one remark / view in it that I disagree with (but this remark / view of Roy has nothing to do with the review of the Wadax components as such) : imho there are quite some small or ‘boutique’ recording companies that release high quality high resolution recordings (beit in eg dsd 256 and dxd) with great musicians as well as great orchestra’s. For example I refer to recording companies like Reference recordings (in particular the Honeck/Pittsburgh symphony orchestra recordings and in the past several superb sounding 24/176.4 files with Oue as conducter), Channel classics, Challenge classics and Pentatone classics.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing