WADAX dedicated forum

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

a follow up from Roy Gregory which includes the new power supply for the Reference server
FYI
finally found time to read Roy's further review of the Wadax Reference Dac and Server, and i especially appreciated his viewpoint on the new Wadax Server Power Supply. i'm trying to gather myself to make that leap when it comes time. i hope that i can swing it. might have to extend my retirement point to rationalize it.

Reactions: hogen and ctydwn

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
If I understood Roy correctly not only the new PSU of the Wadax reference serves makes a significant difference for the better but the same applies to the new reference DC cables. In an ‘ideal world’ Wadax reference owners add three of these cables to their reference set up, that is one DC cable for every (reference) PSU. However, that ideal solution requires an (additional) investment of over eur/usd 100k, while the numbers that are being mentioned in the review are ‘only’ export prices. In Europe private owners need to add VAT of around 20% to these numbers. You need really deep pockets in order to be able to pull this off:(.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
based on Roy's choice of words.....
The Reference Power Supply builds on that solid foundation, fleshing it out with a dramatic reduction in grain and noise floor, an increase in dynamic range and authority, musical substance and presence.
it seems that the Power Supply is bringing more to the party.....
Throw in the Akasa DC cables and they add finesse, delicacy, micro-dynamic discrimination, transparency, focus and immediacy.
the cables are more bringing increased degrees of things.

we can interpret the other way maybe too. :rolleyes:

in any case, likely i will have to choose one, won't be able to do both. and if i do either......the power supply will be the one for me. hope you can do both and tell us about your own take.

Last edited:

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Indeed it seems the most logical step to start with the new reference PSU if one needs to make a choice for financial reasons. I am missing the words ‘added fluidity‘ or ‘less mechanical’ in his review: I am wondering if the new PSU and/or the new DC cables will also do something in that regard. And although the Wadax reference dac to my ears is already sounding ‘non digital’, that is without the usual digital artifacts / distortions, I presume in the end every parameter can be bettered. But maybe more fluidity / less mechanical can or must be read in the words “finesse, delicacy“ that he used in the quotes that you listed in your last contribution to this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Docluis

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Had I recently purchased a WADAX Reference Server I personally wouldn’t know whether to start laughing or start crying!

Reactions: nonesup

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Had I recently purchased a WADAX Reference Server I personally wouldn’t know whether to start laughing or start crying!
For me - and hopefully for all Wadax owners - it is only a matter of ‘laughing’: the ‘regular’ Wadax reference server and dac combination is already state of the art. Everybody who owns this combo should be able to (fully) enjoy it as it (currently) is. Apparently it can still be bettered in a significant way. And that Wadax is capable of doing so, is good news for all those who wanna go ‘the full monty’. Yes, the additional costs are sobering or maybe even frightening, but is the possibility of pushing the (digital) envelope - even if you cannot afford it for the time being or in the (near) future - as such not a good thing?

Reactions: Docluis

rando

Sep 22, 2019

Just so long as you save something in your emotional reserve for every bleed all the way up to completion of this 9* box system. :D

*Number pulled out of the air for comedic impact.

Last edited:

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Just so long as you save something in your emotional reserve for every bleed all the way up to completion of this 9* box system. :D

*Number pulled out of the air for comedic impact.
It isn’t me being bled ;)

rando

Sep 22, 2019
It isn’t me being bled ;)

Bleeding the impact of analog and digital together in amounts recording and performance dictate response is an interesting and long overdue event. If both disc and server playback are capable of closing in on that goal. I suspect many here will, having committed to a word, bleed over it.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
to be fair to Wadax, the concept of the additional power supply for the Server being in development was fully disclosed up front. it was even listed in the owner's manual. so no instance of any surprise. the size and price were not known.

OTOH the DC cable upgrades were not hinted at.

Wadax Reference buyers knew what they signed up for. every day i'm happy about it (being able to enjoy the Wadax) too.....but it's not for everyone. i have worked out where to put the PS beast if/when i do get it. so it will 'fit'.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
to be fair to Wadax, the concept of the additional power supply for the Server being in development was fully disclosed up front. it was even listed in the owner's manual. so no instance of any surprise. the size and price were not known.

OTOH the DC cable upgrades were not hinted at.

Wadax Reference buyers knew what they signed up for. every day i'm happy about it (being able to enjoy the Wadax) too.....but it's not for everyone. i have worked out where to put the PS beast if/when i do get it. so it will 'fit'.
I wish yourself and other WADAX owners nothing but joy of your choice of digital playback Mike, my observation merely one of genuine surprise at the eye watering price of this upgrade to what is an already somewhat expensive server.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
In for a penny, in for...$350k.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I have not yet had the opportunity or hopefully the pleasure of adding the new PS to my server and in my system however there is no one pointing a gun at my head or anyone else's to buy one or any other high end product. I appreciate Javier and his teams dedication to try to ever better what is already state of the art. Its funny that they get criticized for what Magico, Wilson, dCs etc get praised for! The high end is and always be a moving target, You can get on and off the train at any station however for those who insist on going forward and wanting the very best they can obtain all of these companies continue to try to learn more and better the experience.
I just got back from two huge system set ups/installations, serving people that want the best sound they can get . They built rooms, did acoustic treatment, spent hours and dollars on set up, these are the type of people that purchase Wadax, Gobel , CH Precision, Dartzeel, Wilson, Magico etc.
FYI since I have been doing this, for over 50 years, bigger and better power supplies have improved almost every component they touched. This is nothing to be surprised at.
Those who seem to always complain are the ones that aren't owners or even intending to own, so I don't get the harm or foul here. Wadax, and some other ultra high end companies , serve a small group, a very small group that seek better and have the desire and the wherewithal to get it.
Isn't this What's best forum?
I can't own a Ferrari, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Rolls but I still love what they do and usually some of technology and ideas they have are incorporated into things I may own or be able to own. This is innovation Gentlemen, we should applaud it, support it and encourage it, every where and every place for it is IMO what makes life great.

RoyGregory

Jun 8, 2012
Near Salisbury, UK
based on Roy's choice of words.....

it seems that the Power Supply is bringing more to the party.....

the cables are more bringing increased degrees of things.

we can interpret the other way maybe too. :rolleyes:

in any case, likely i will have to choose one, won't be able to do both. and if i do either......the power supply will be the one for me. hope you can do both and tell us about your own take.
I will be writing a separate report on the specific impact of both the Reference Power Supply on the Server and the DC cables on the Server and DAC. At that time I'll (attempt to) establish some sort of hierarchy in terms of musical impact. The original article had got so big that including separate coverage of the constituent parts was simply a step too far. I'll get it live asap...

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I will be writing a separate report on the specific impact of both the Reference Power Supply on the Server and the DC cables on the Server and DAC. At that time I'll (attempt to) establish some sort of hierarchy in terms of musical impact. The original article had got so big that including separate coverage of the constituent parts was simply a step too far. I'll get it live asap..

I really look forward to getting mine and adding it into my system

Jmn

Dec 6, 2020
I want to thank Roy for such a well written, comprehensive article regarding file/streaming/format playback via Wadax technology/hardware of which was akin to reading about NASA‘s quest to reach further and deeper into space via technological innovations (JWST). Equally, I am grateful for the many musical pointers, in this case, Music for a While- Improvisations on Purcell. Christina Pluhar & L’Arpeggiate which alone has given me hours of unparalleled listening pleasure through my humble but highly capable Arcadia DAC. Gy8 continues to be an invaluable resource. Keep up the good work.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
I want to thank Roy for such a well written, comprehensive article regarding file/streaming/format playback via Wadax technology/hardware of which was akin to reading about NASA‘s quest to reach further and deeper into space via technological innovations (JWST). Equally, I am grateful for the many musical pointers, in this case, Music for a While- Improvisations on Purcell. Christina Pluhar & L’Arpeggiate which alone has given me hours of unparalleled listening pleasure through my humble but highly capable Arcadia DAC. Gy8 continues to be an invaluable resource. Keep up the good work.
You have to be very proud to own an Arcadia.
It is far away from being a humble Dac.
Reference line is like F1 research. I’m sure it will be followed by a more accesible line with a step down hardware and all Reference technology knowledge.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jmn

Jmn

Dec 6, 2020
You have to be very proud to own an Arcadia.
It is far away from being a humble Dac.
Reference line is like F1 research. I’m sure it will be followed by a more accesible line with a step down hardware and all Reference technology knowledge.
Stereophonic, I meant in price only, not performance, nor pedigree.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing