WADAX dedicated forum

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com

Having said that, the Reference Streamer’s musical performance exceeds all the other options I’ve tried – and by a considerable margin. For the first time, the musical quality is more than up to the task of familiarising oneself with new music or making meaningful pre-purchase assessments of new recordings. Trawling through the extensive libraries on Tidal and Qobuz is equally entertaining. As I have already commented, that makes this the first streamer to really deliver on the promise of ‘unlimited musical horizons’ that has been so effectively leveraged by the file replay marketeers – even if that delivery comes at what is for most of u, an impossibly steep price. But that’s not really the point. Like all new technologies and formats, it takes time to achieve really good results. For streaming, that time is finally here and the associated costs are only going to reduce. That’s a big win not just for Wadax, but streaming in general.

I’ve already discussed the comparison of streamed and stored files against optical disc formats, but how does the Wadax Reference Server stack up against vinyl? Once again, that will depend on the record. Reach back into the ‘60s and ‘70s and original pressings still set the standard for natural, credible, audio performance. The only format that challenges that supremacy is the aforementioned and almost unobtainable glass CD. But once we get closer to current pressings, the gap narrows perceptibly, until, close comparison with contemporary digital pressings sees situations in which the file can match or even pull ahead of the record. Back to Ms. Pluhar and Music For A While. The Erato LP is a fine sounding slab of vinyl, one that easily outperforms the already good sounding CD. But compared directly against the 24/88.2 file, it comes up short. The file replay delivers more energy, presence, shape and musical purpose, a more engaging sense of flow and even greater articulation and communication from the vocals. The added body and substance, the vitality and sense of musical direction allow the file to pass the acid test, simply sounding more like real people and real instruments.

Roy Gregory

Last edited:
Reactions: sbo6

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
May I ask what the experiences so far are of all the Wadax Reference server owners / WBF members regarding using the three knobs on the front (output gain, speed and input gain)? They make clearly a significant sonic change for the better if you use them correctly. Are you changing their position every time you start playing a new file or do you choose a certain configuration and let it (more or less) be? I know that with streaming the latter approach works very well but I rarely stream so I am interested in actual experiences with playing files on the hard discs of the reference server.

Last edited:

Steve Vu

Oct 26, 2020
May I ask what the experiences so far are of all the Wadax Reference server owners / WBF members regarding using the three knobs on the front (output gain, speed and input gain)? They make clearly a significant sonic change for the better if you use them correctly. Are you changing their position every time you start playing a new file or do you choose a certain configuration and let it (more or less) be? I know that with streaming the latter approach works very well but I rarely stream so I am interested in actual experiences with playing files on the hard discs of the reference server.
I only choose few songs on the hard disc and I tune three knobs based on those songs. After tuning them, I will fix and listen for all.

With streaming, I also do the same.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
I only choose few songs on the hard disc and I tune three knobs based on those songs. After tuning them, I will fix and listen for all.

With streaming, I also do the same.
Hello Steve, thanks for your reply. Does this tuning make a significant sonic difference for the better in your set up? And are your listening experiences more or less the same as Roy Gregory’s in his latest review, that is you choose settings around 30% for all the three knobs?

Steve Vu

Oct 26, 2020
Hello Steve, thanks for your reply. Does this tuning make a significant sonic difference for the better in your set up? And are your listening experiences more or less the same as Roy Gregory’s in his latest review, that is you choose settings around 30% for all the three knobs?
I chose settings around 50% for three knobs. I think they are the best in my system.

Reactions: Audiocrack

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012

Here are Roy’s latest and very interesting comments on the complete Wadax reference combination including the Wadax top of the line DC cables. The outcome of his review differs from what I expected ….

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Here are Roy’s latest and very interesting comments on the complete Wadax reference combination including the Wadax top of the line DC cables. The outcome of his review differs from what I expected ….
Interesting...what did you expect?

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Interesting...what did you expect?
Well, not surprisingly the new top notch PSU for the Wadax Reference server has a great positive impact. However, the Wadax top of the line DC-cables for their reference server and reference dac are exactly the same. The music originates from the server. Under the motto ‘garbage in, garbage out’ I expected that the Wadax Reference server - like their Reference dac - would have greatly or totally benefitted from the new DC-cable. If I understand him correctly to Roy’s ears - and of course based on his listening experiences in his own audio system in his own listening room - that might not be completely the case. Or at least under certain circumstances it might be something of a ‘mixed bag’ with the Reference server while the Wadax top of the line DC-cables are an unlimited casu quo a complete success with the Wadax Reference dac. In combination with the Reference server the standard DC-cable sounds to Roy’s ears - in comparison to the top of the line DC-cable - ”richer, creamier and less incisive”. Do not get me wrong: he is also very clear and explicitly mentioned a few times that the Wadax top of the line DC-cable in combination with their Reference server offers “obvious sonic advantages”. But in an audio system that exhibits an tendency to brightness or with files that suffer from a certain hardness or glare in his view the top of the line DC-cable might be ‘too much of a good thing’. As a consequence he ended his very insightful review with the conclusion that both DC-cables can prove extremely satisfying, albeit in slightly different ways. To me this came as a sort of ‘surprise’.

Last edited:

Kawero

Jan 24, 2022
I keep it as it is. i only change the knobs when I change to a different speaker or different cable upstrem

Br

Rainer

Kawero

Jan 24, 2022
I set around 30% but all three knobs are not the same. The effect is most incredible

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
I set around 30% but all three knobs are not the same. The effect is most incredible
Yep I agree: the effect is really profound. I have only limited experience so far but I also typically prefer settings around 30-35%.

Last edited:

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
5AD854BD-A3C3-44BC-8155-C9B3AF19FF46.jpeg

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Server with Akasa optical wins overall product of the year!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations, Elliot!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Fantastic news and congrats to Wadax. Look forward to hearing it at some point in the not too distant future.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing