WADAX dedicated forum

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Im also a sceptic Carlos but wadax is the real deal
Just as the Gryphon apex amplifier design

The real deal in terms of what? A DSP or a “bit-perfect” dac? That is the question at hand? Nothing wrong if it’s a DSP, but Javier needs to claim it and own it instead of having his owners go out and claim that it’s a “bit-perfect” DAC, from input to output. As I say, based on what I read, I’m sure that I know the answer, as any type you perform any type of “correction” on the data stream you are by definition performing Digital Signal Processing. But I want to hear it from Javier and Wadax or at the very least from John Atkinson at Stereophile.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
You are obviously stuck in the 80’s and looking at this from a noise floor perspective. Why don’t you read up on Jussi Laako and his wonderful HQPLAYER software and what its algorithms can produce in terms of realized/perceived resolution.

Which still does not address the noise floor at the DAC output.

Do you think you can bamboozle us, Carlos, diverting the discussion whenever it puts your arguments in peril?

It keeps being too funny.

Reactions: jeff1225

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
The real deal in terms of what? A DSP or a “bit-perfect” dac? That is the question at hand? Nothing wrong if it’s a DSP, but Javier needs to claim it and own it instead of having his owners go out and claim that it’s a “bit-perfect” DAC, from input to output. As I say, based on what I read, I’m sure that I know the answer, as any type you perform any type of “correction” on the data stream you are by definition performing Digital Signal Processing. But I want to hear it from Javier and Wadax or at the very least from John Atkinson at Stereophile.

I dont know the tech details carlos , i m just a mechanical engineer i know next to nothing of Digital design.

But it sounds damn good .
If i would be foolish enough to spend 200 K on digital that would be the one to buy

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Which still does not address the noise floor at the DAC output.

Do you think you can bamboozle us, Carlos, diverting the discussion whenever it puts your arguments in peril?

It keeps being too funny.

I will spell it out for you so that it is easy for you to comprehend Al, HQPLAYER uses filters, modulators and noise-shaping algorithms that raise those micro o details and nuances in the digital domain so that they are above the noisefloor and can be perceived. You got it now? Or do I need to cut it up into smaller bites? Read up on HQPLAYER, that way you don’t have to be feed by me.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I will spell it out for you so that it is easy for you to comprehend Al, HQPLAYER uses filters, modulators and noise-shaping algorithms that raise those micro o details and nuances in the digital domain so that they are above the noisefloor and can be perceived. You got it now? Or do I need to cut it up into smaller bites? Read up on HQPLAYER, that way you don’t have to be feed by me.

Reference link for that assertion, please.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Myself and others are interested to know more about the Digital Signal Processing (DSP) that is going on in these units, if any. Mike claims that this is a “bit-perfect” dac, everything that I have read about this dac leads me to believe otherwise; it would be nice to have this question answered by someone that we all trust, like John Atkinson at Stereophile.
not true. i have always been clear about the Wadax being an upsampling dac and admitted the conflict with my previous opinion.

breaking my rule of not replying to you to clear up this narrow issue.

have a nice day.

Reactions: Carlos269

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
I dont know the tech details carlos , i m just a mechanical engineer i know next to nothing of Digital design.

If i would be foolish enough to spend 200 K on digital that would be the one to buy

Daniel Weiss offers analogue emulation with his line of Weiss 501 and 502 DACs and DSP-engine units and he calls it as that under his DSP features. At Munich stop by Weiss and listen to their analog emulation and report back on what you hear.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012

Remember that Carlos is a electrical engineer, mechanical engineer, chemical engineer, sanitation engineer, train engineer, bio engineer, and sound engineer.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Daniel Weiss offers analogue emulation with his line of Weiss 501 and 502 DACs and DSP-engine units and he calls it as that under his DSP features. At Munich stop by Weiss and listen to their analog emulation and report back on what you hear.

i tried this one in my system for an afternoon , it did nt stick / mediocre sound .
I m sure i have heard many weiss dacs over the years it didnt stick , may be my ears aren t good , lol

1681407536482.png

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
For the record, I have four (4) different DSD512 DACs that each uses it’s own unique discrete DSD conversion solution, with no DAC IC inside. Two are solid state units all the way and two use tubes, want to guess which two are the ones that sound the best to my ears?
Sure! I'll play! Which 2 are your preferred DACs?

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Sure! I'll play! Which 2 are your preferred DACs?

My current order preference among my DSD512 capable dacs is: 1) ValveDac (Raw-DSD only and only dac in the world that uses the tubes for the conversion process), 2) LampizatOr DSD-Only (one-of-a-kind updated and upgraded and tube), 3) DSC2.5 Pure DSD-Only (Solid State) and 4) T+A DAC8 DSD (Solid State). You can listen to the first two on a video that I posted to one of Ron’s threads for comparison to the same track being played back in Micheal Fremer’s system, which he said was representative of the sound in his room.

The developer of HQPLAYER has a background in the science and technology for detection of submarines and has developed algorithms that allow one to hear things below the noise-floor.

As to why I prefer the my two tube dacs over my two solid state dacs, it is a well documented Psychoacoustic phenomenon that low level noise improves perception and intelligibility of low level details.

Reactions: marty

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Fred Crowder is a very credible listener, and good guy too.
You beat me to it. I agree and actually think I might have communicated with him a long long time ago once. Very credible and very good.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) As to why I prefer the my two tube dacs over my two solid state dacs, it is a well documented Psychoacoustic phenomenon that low level noise improves perception and intelligibility of low level details.

Good. Can you post links or references to documents on such subject?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Steve Vu

Oct 26, 2020
Myself and others are interested to know more about the Digital Signal Processing (DSP) that is going on in these units, if any. Mike claims that this is a “bit-perfect” dac, everything that I have read about this dac leads me to believe otherwise; it would be nice to have this question answered by someone that we all trust, like John Atkinson at Stereophile.

Further to this there is the dichotomy of the Wadax owners claiming that this dac is best thing since sliced bread versus the first-hand accounts from four forum members who have heard it either at shows or in private auditions that walked away not only not impressed but who pointed to some artifacts in their description of its sound quality.

I will also like to point to the fact that we never hear any audio, or through video, of the Wadax units playing, it is almost always a description in typed words. I understand that Mike refuses to post videos of his system playing, but what about AudioCrack and his impressive Tidal speakers and rest of his system, why doesn’t he give us a taste of the Wadax sound for those of us who have not heard them to begin to hear for ourselves if these units really have the potential to live up to the hype?

Let’s have AudioCrack or Stereophinic post a video of their Wadax systems playing back Lori Lieberman’s “Truly” track so that we can all listen to the Wadax magic and compare it to the Michael Fremer reference track.

I think these videos will be insightful. BUT I still would like to see John Atkinson’s assessment of these units.
You and others listen to music based on the measurements. I can understand that. I never care the measurement. I also don't know who John Atkinson is. I never meet him and I never buy equipments based on the measurements of anyone.

I bought all of my equipments without knowing the measurements. I never care them because I think it is nothing. I only buy my system by listening. If I feel good, I buy. If not, I don't buy. It is so simple.

I may be right or wrong but I don't need anyone teaches me how to spend my money. I know what I do and what I listen to.

Finally, I think you should spend time to listen to music. If you need to listen videos of Wadax, let's search them on Youtube. There are many videos there. I know you still need the measurements after you listen but I don't think you will feel happy even when you see these measurements. You still find other ways to do whatever you can - including inventing stories or claiming fake technical info - to damage or discredit of Wadax.

Wish you feel happy with your choices.

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
I found this video of Wadax:

Thank you Peter. Well, I hate to break it to Al (Al M.) but even from this YouTube video I can hear some of the sound characteristics that were reported.

Steven Vu, you got me wrong. If I ask questions it’s because I’m interested to learn more, considering the costs and the hype that some of you have made about these Wadax products it has peaked my interest. Regarding if I’m happy with my choices, I will post a YouTube video of one of my systems playing back this exact track that PeterA posted and you can be the judge of that.

Reactions: PeterA

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing