WADAX dedicated forum

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
power supply for what?
for the Wadax Reference Server. you have to hand it to Wadax, they said they would go all out on the power supply and they were not kidding. the beast likely weighs 100 pounds like the server does.

i saw that picture 2 days ago and was aghast at the size. where am i going to put it? and i will need 8 more RevOpods for it too.

below is from the Wadax Reference Server manual. it shows on the back where you add the external power supply.

1652881629837.png

1652881449314.png

Last edited:

Steve Vu

Oct 26, 2020
for the Wadax Reference Server. you have to hand it to Wadax, they said they would go all out on the power supply and they were not kidding. the beast likely weighs 100 pounds like the server does.

i saw that picture 2 days ago and was aghast at the size. where am i going to put it? and i will need 8 more RevOpods for it too.

below is from the Wadax Reference Server manual. it shows on the back where you add the external power supply.

View attachment 92925

View attachment 92923
I think one side for Server and one side for Transport Ref which will be released in the future. I prepared the rack to put in on but it is only for one PSU. Now it is difficult to arrange it.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
The Wadax reference series in its ultimate version indeed needs a lot of space: provided that the reference (sa)cd-transport will indeed be launched somewhere in the future, likely four headunits of the same size as the current reference dac and reference server plus two large PSU’s for the dac. Or do we maybe have to add even one or two dedicated PSU’s for the (sa)cd-transport as well?

However, space is not my main concern. The amounts to be invested are sobering or maybe even somewhat frightening if you want to go ‘the full Monty’.

Reactions: infinitely baffled

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
And I should have added: also frightening if you take into account the costs of all the platforms that are needed. Just received last weekend 10 (very) special platforms of which six are currently being used to support the Wadax reference components. Not only are those platforms as such very costly but if you want to go ‘all the way’ you need to ground them with top notch grounding cables and a top notch grounding box as well. One crazy hobby!

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Lol , Stamp collecting takes up less space .
If all goes well i l be hearing Wadax tomorrow.
It better be good for this kinda $$

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Lol , Stamp collecting takes up less space .
If all goes well i l be hearing wadax tomorrow.
It better be good for this kinda $$
It is damn good cq very impressive sounding under ‘controlled circumstances’. I hope that Munich with their notorious bad sounding rooms can provide you at least a glimps of what the Wadax reference components are capable of.

Reactions: andromedaaudio

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
According to Elliot, who is in Munich, that double wide power supply is ONLY for the Reference Server.:eek:

no list price info yet.
Elliot is completely right about that. This is the new dedicated PSU for the reference server; this PSU is currently officially being introduced at the Munich high end show. As far as I know indeed no official rrp has been determined yet.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Elliot is completely right about that. This is the new dedicated PSU for the reference server; this PSU is currently officially being introduced at the Munich high end show. As far as I know indeed no official rrp has been determined yet.
I will guess. 25k USD.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I saw that...interesting reading. BTW, how are the Robert Koda K15EX/K160s? I saw your photo of your fantastic system and room! Would appreciate any listening notes on them in comparison with any other amps you might have auditioned/owned/heard.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
And I should have added: also frightening if you take into account the costs of all the platforms that are needed. Just received last weekend 10 (very) special platforms of which six are currently being used to support the Wadax reference components. Not only are those platforms as such very costly but if you want to go ‘all the way’ you need to ground them with top notch grounding cables and a top notch grounding box as well. One crazy hobby!
we need pictures and details of your (special) platforms when you get around to it.

personally i'm only grounding one power supply of the Ref Dac right now with a Tripoint Thor. and then using a standard Tripoint ground cable on the server. when/if (depending on the tariff) i get the power supply for the server i might acquire another Thor for it. grounding every Wadax chassis might be better, but i will defer to you to go there......and report. maybe down the road at some point. and i'll add the RevOpod's footers (which will sit on a Taiko Daiza) for the power supply.

i just sold off one tt, my 4th, the EMT. so i have a shelf for this power supply beast. i will just need to shuffle things around a bit for all the cables to work and won't be able to have the server in as observable a place (now just to the left of my listening position.....it will have to be behind me so i will have to look back over my shoulder) since my phono and dac need to be close to my darTZeel preamp due to interconnect lengths and phono cable lengths.

so the logistics for me of this added chassis are not too daunting assuming i can swing the initial cost.

Last edited:

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
we need pictures and details of your (special) platforms when you get around to it.

personally i'm only grounding one power supply of the Ref Dac right now with a Tripoint Thor. and then using a standard Tripoint ground cable on the server. when/if (depending on the tariff) i get the power supply for the server i might acquire another Thor for it. grounding every Wadax chassis might be better, but i will defer to you to go there......and report. maybe down the road at some point. and i'll add the RevOpod's footers (which will sit on a Taiko Daiza) for the power supply.

i just sold off one tt, my 4th, the EMT. so i have a shelf for this power supply beast. i will just need to shuffle things around a bit for all the cables to work and won't be able to have the server in as observable a place (now just to the left of my listening position.....it will have to be behind me so i will have to look back over my shoulder) since my phono and dac need to be close to my darTZeel preamp due to interconnect lengths and phono cable lengths.

so the logistics for me of this added chassis are not too daunting assuming i can swing the initial cost.
Will surely do Mike, but please give me some time because I only got them in very recently and still working various things out. And I will post somewhere else on WBF because these platforms - although 6 are currently being used for the (i) Wadax reference dac (2 platforms stacked on eachother), (ii) two PSU’s of the Wadax reference dac (2 platforms stacked on eachother) and (iii) Wadax reference server (again 2 platforms placed on top of eachother) - are off topic in this Wadax thread. The other four platforms are being employed under my Kondo G-1000 preamp (head unit and power supply are each placed on their own platform) and two Kondo poweramps.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Will surely do Mike, but please give me some time because I only got them in very recently and still working various things out. And I will post somewhere else on WBF because these platforms - although 6 are currently being used for the (i) Wadax reference dac (2 platforms stacked on eachother), (ii) two PSU’s of the Wadax reference dac (2 platforms stacked on eachother) and (iii) Wadax reference server (again 2 platforms placed on top of eachother) - are off topic in this Wadax thread. The other four platforms are being employed under my Kondo G-1000 preamp (head unit and power supply are each placed on their own platform) and two Kondo poweramps.
thank you Rudolf, will watch for that.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Id say main characteristics of wadax are detail retrieval articulation natural flow overall clarity
It seems some of the artificial harshness a lot associate with digital has been reduced/ dissapeared.
I ll be looking for some confirmation of this in the wadax set ups at MOC today.
From what i picked up from the presentation of Javier is that Wadax manufactures their own chips.

Last edited:

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Id say main characteristics of wadax are detail retrieval articulation natural flow overall clarity
It seems some of the artificial harshness a lot associate with digital has been reduced/ dissapeared.
I ll be looking for some confirmation of this in the wadax set ups at MOC today.
From what i picked up from the presentation of Javier is that Wadax manufactures their own chips.
Your sonic view of the Wadax reference combination is spot on. And I would add: superb dynamics, great density, serene presentation and wide/deep soundstage. Not sure though if you can pick this all up under the far from ideal Munich show conditions.

Have a lot of fun.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing