What is a reviewer?

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
What is a reviewer? Qualifications? Purpose? responsibilities? are they critics? reporters? journalists? marketers? cheerleaders? influencers?
What should there place in the Industry be and how do we get there?
Limits? rules?
What are your opinions?

I read in so many threads comments about all the "reviewers" maybe a place to actually discuss it will be useful

Id say in general a reviewer is an enthousiast.
Id say an enthusiast is an enthusiast , maybe a reviewer should be more? IMO being an enthusiast isnt credentials. I love football but Im not a QB in the NFL. Liking to cook doesnt make you a chef. dont you think thats a very low bar?

There was a thread related to this topic a few years ago. In it I said the main criteria to be a reviewer is to be able to say in 1000 words what should take less than 100 words to describe. Of course this is in the space of the written word such as magazines. The first critera of any reviewer that is going to be hired by a magazine is they have to be good writers. Not that they can listen or evaluate. That is probably farther down the list. Reviews are sales tools for the manufacturers. If the review doesn't do a good job of selling the product then why would the manufacturers pay for the review?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu