What's Spinning Tonight?

Haven’t been thrift shopping for records in quite a while, since vinyl became popular, thrift sources became dried up and the mold black lung leafing through the piles of Barbara Streisand and Barry Manilow and ilk wasn’t worth it. They’ve gotten ‘expensive’, too, at $1.50 a pop.

However, wandering through a Goodwill in try valley, they had a freshly donated batch. These records were unusual because they were all VG to mint in quality. The CSO Nutcracker I doubt was ever played, if only once. Also got some weirding oldies, 5th Dimension, Spanky and the Gang, Uriah Heep, and a Frank Sinatra record anthology of Frank when he was past his prime.

If all records had the quality of the Decca sampler, 45 rpm records would be superfluous. It is a triode lover’s dream: airy, expansive midrange and upper midrange, almost other worldly resolution with the bonus of vinyl liveliness. Forgotten techniques of the recording and record mastering studios of the past? The Brenda Lee Decca would be worth pursuing.

As much as I love my vinyl, I sometimes just wish digital would put it out of its misery once and for all so I can just enjoy it as a nostalgia medium. I hear records like these, though, and I realize vinyl STILL has the edge for palpability, richness, etc. etc. Turntables are musical instruments playing music, with the physicality that it implies that somehow makes its way through the amplification chain.

Attachments

• 20220824_150106.jpg
    20220824_150106.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • 20220824_150050.jpg
    20220824_150050.jpg
    834.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220824_150145.jpg
    20220824_150145.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 20220824_150119.jpg
    20220824_150119.jpg
    927.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Reactions: Long Live Analog
What are your thought on new Muse? For now I like it, but I still need some more spins for a final conclusion.

Reactions: DasguteOhr and XV-1
Frankie Goes To Hollywood ?– Welcome To The Pleasuredome - one of my fav albums, must have played it well over 500 times over the years and it still sounds great. Side one is the perfect pre going out album to play back in my youth.

aozGrnZ.jpg

Bananarama - Masquerade

Just happen to see the latest Bananarama album in the shops yesterday, thought I'll pick it up as I like Bananarama of old. Grew up with their music. Just had a quick listen, well it's very different. I will need more time with it.

Bananarama - Masquerade .jpg

Reactions: AMR / iFi audio
The Strokes - New Abnormal
Solid music and very interesting packaging. Its cover is made from stiff, translucent plastic. Interesting release, solid music, especially the single At the door.

• Love
Reactions: XV-1

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing