Which SACD PLAYER ?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Rossini Player can play cd only.
The Rossini DAC paired with the new Rossini Transport can play sacd.
However the sacd transport mechanism inside is from Denon, not Esoteric.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Yes it’s a good suggestion I hadn’t been aware of the PS audio sacd transport I will do some research on it maybe try get a listen, I liked the quality of the older players on CD
Thanks
I am glad that was helpful.
You may find it useful to consult Lee who is a member of this forum and who has the DS pairing. He is a reviewer for Part Time Audiophile and I recall he recently posted a very favourable report on the benefits of the new Huron software.

KostasP.

May 6, 2016
Melbourne
Hello from Melbourne,

I'll be as as laconic and concise as I need to be. I compared seven DACs \ CD- SACD players ( two were valve DACs ) at home, in my current model Martin Logan CLX ART based system. It is not necessary to mention the contenders. The one that stood out and synergises impeccably with my system is the T&A PDP 3000 HV. With the DACs that I was comparing, I was using my CEC transport. The PDP 3000 HV totally negated the need to have two components ( DAC and CD transport ).

I am not a fledgling in this hobby and I find it impossible to fault it but, of course, I don't know your sonic priorities. Nevertheless, it is absolutely imperative that you try any contenders in your system.

Cheers, Kostas.

Sniper17

Nov 27, 2018
I have owned Marantz, Mcintosh and Accuphase. Hands down its Accuphase. The Japanese are die hard SACD fans. If I was on a budget, the $2500 Marantz is great performer. I have not heard any Esoteric SACD players, but their reputation is solid.

In Japan Accuphase OWNS the SACD market.

a.dent

Nov 11, 2011
Perth, Australia
@awsmone I'm surprised you say you won't be going the Accuphase route after having 800 and 900 series versions. Would you mind saying why?

Having had Esoteric, Vitus, Sony, Oppo and earlier Accuphase the DP-560 I have now is the best SACD player I've had in my system.

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
I use an esoteric k-01x with g-01 clock which is a great sacd and red book CD player. Having previously used accuphase (dp-70, dp-85 and dp-900/901) I was initially wary having heard they were “analytical and bright” but this proved not to be the case at all. Try in your own system, forgetting hype and reviews and trust your own judgement and taste.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
Esoteric K-01X with external word clock or master clock as noted on the thread already.

Esoteric Grandioso K1 is also a destination SACD player...

Esoteric P-02 and D-02 with a master glock is giving me great SACD and CD playback. P-02X and D-02X successors
also deliver SOTA SACD and CD playback....

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
Now, 4 years later, which are your recommendations for a onebox top-of-the-line SACD player that is real musical?
And maybe clearly beats the old outstanding redbook CD players without oversampling, R2R DAC in musicality, organic flow, integration, palpable details?

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
I upgraded to a K-01xd with a large improvement over the K-01x ( 3 revisions later) with Esoterics own dac rather than bought in as previous. Vast improvement, even more with the clock, but it then becomes a 2 Box player.
I’ve heard good things about the latest luxman players, and have always had a soft spot for Accuphase, only the gold anodizing putting me off.
Good luck with your search and ultimate purchase

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
I upgraded to a K-01xd with a large improvement over the K-01x ( 3 revisions later) with Esoterics own dac rather than bought in as previous. Vast improvement, even more with the clock, but it then becomes a 2 Box player.
I’ve heard good things about the latest luxman players, and have always had a soft spot for Accuphase, only the gold anodizing putting me off.
Good luck with your search and ultimate purchase
Similar story here. I upgraded from an Esoteric K-03X to a K-01XD. The new XD series (and the K1X Grandioso) with Esoteric's discrete component DACs replacing AKM chips was a big step up in performance.... and gives them independence from DAC chip makers.

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
The Playback Designs MPT8 and MPD8 are my candidates for the best in SACD playback or for about half the cost, the MPS8. My prior player was the Esoteric K01.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
I guess the best one-body sacd player in the market must be the Vivaldi One.
Does it exceed your budget?

The T+A has very good built but I have never been impressed by its sonic performance.

If you are considering Esoteric K-01sx, I suggest you to consider the Grandioso K1 instead. Their sonic diff is clearly audible.

Ayon and Accuphase belong to musicality camp.
Esoteric is in the neutral camp.
Playback is in the middle of the above 2 groups.
If you could find one a used Modwright modified Sony ES-5400 or Marantz SA8005 sacd player (I own both) might surpass all of the above mentioned players because of the custom analogue tube output stage and separate tube rectified power supply. So might the PS Audio sacd transport combined with a good tube DAC.

Last edited:

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
Last Accuphase I owned was the 800/801 combination and heard none of the later models unfortunately. It was a superb player and sure it would hold its own today.
Esoteric had an earlier reputation for being very clinical and possible lacking some “emotion” but cannot say that applies to the ones I have owned.
I’m sure you’ll make the right choice for your own taste.

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
…that’s why I ask specifically for the mentioned latest models, because they are quite different to the former ones. The long-year-opinions made on the former models don’t help us further.

Nemal, are you still absolutely happy with your K-01XD? No regrets, no downsides, no critics?

Last edited:

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
Hi Birdwatcher,
absolutely no regrets buying the K01-XD, considerably better then the K01-X used previously.
Again though, it’s to my own taste.

Reactions: Birdwatcher

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing