Why Some Audiophiles Fear Measurements

Well this thread is likely to go on for many more posts and I suspect that in the end, no one's mind will be changed.

has even one mind ever been swayed by one of these type threads, i suspect not. but maybe we get to know each other a little better, which is a good thing i think.

i think the policy is not a good policy, but it's a policy i inherited. I am slowly changing it.

I think we can be oversensitive toward the 'angries', but i think this is more common in uk magazines as a reaction to the flattest of flat earth mags in the 1980s. If you spent nearly a decade being repeatedly told that you were some kind of lobotomized pond-scum for not owning a linn sondek, you tend to twitch at polemic.

lol!

I'll never forget the first time I met my soon to be British audiobuddy back in the late '80s or so. He had a typical UK audiophile's system consisting of a Linn tt, Linn electronics and Linn Isobarik speakers. He came to visit me in the states at the time when I had Maggie 3As, cj electronics and vpi turntable. He had never heard anything like my system. He went back to London and I bought him a subscription to TAS; upon reading it, Terry's first comment was he had never heard of much of gear reviewed in TAS (I think some of the flat earth UK audio scene was because of the closed market combined with the definitely pro-Brit gear press). Readers Digest version: soon after Terry dumped his gear, bought a VPI and put an ET arm on it, bought the Maggies and if I remember correctly some Croft tube electronics. He was much happier!!!

As I read this, I continued to wonder about measurements supplied by manufacturers. In light of the 86 vs. 94 dB sensitivity (almost twice as loud at the same input!), do any of you have concern that the frequency of "inaccurate" measurements supplied with audio components is higher than we would hope?

Lee

As I read this, I continued to wonder about measurements supplied by manufacturers. In light of the 86 vs. 94 dB sensitivity (almost twice as loud at the same input!), do any of you have concern that the frequency of "inaccurate" measurements supplied with audio components is higher than we would hope?

Lee

Well in some instances, such in the case of dipoles or electrostatics, it's harder to define their efficiency.

Lee

Manufacturer-supplied specs are filtered through the same processing as their product sheets and should be taken with the same amount of skepticism. Shooting from the hip, extensive and technically-detailed specs tend to be more accurate than superficial ones. It latter requires little skill.

...However, from my own opinion and prior experience:
If a product sounds good and measures good... highest recommendation
If a product sounds good and measures bad... recommendation
If a product sounds bad and measures good... no recommendation
If a product sounds bad and measures bad... no recommendation

In my current magazine, current policy dictates the latter two would be returned to the manufacturer unreviewed. This highlights a large flaw in one aspect of the reviewing process - a significant proportion of current readers of magazines seem to read the magazine to confirm their buying decisions after buying, rather than view the review as a part of the pre-purchase buying decision. Our policy to only speak good of audio products is predicated on lots of angry 'cancel my subscription' email that follows every negative review, from disgruntled owners of the equipment that received the negative review.

Review is a major factor in modern science. After a lifetime on both sides of it, I can confirm that it is human nature to go to the greatest lengths to avoid, discredit or eliminate negative reviews.

Now, question for you Steve: When you see poor measurements of a product that you like, do you question your hearing, ever?

This is part of the problem, Myles. It assumes the reviewer's hearing is infallible.

This really comfirms, in my mind, what I said in the article: "One is that measurements can threaten an audiophile’s belief system. . . . along comes a set of measurements that directly contradicts what . . . he claims to hear. This situation can be embarrassing to the audiophile, even stressful, and the easiest way out of it is to dismiss the measurements altogether."

Myles, if these speakers were measured and they revealed that the product was not the "best that there is," would you question the measurements or the reviewer? In other words, would we be measuring the wrong things?

Self analysis is the key. I've since become a better listener, and now when I hear the same speaker(s), I have a greater comprehension of what I am hearing. And since that time I've heard much better, more neutral speakers, so my pool of experiences has broadended considerably.
Jeff continues to hit the nail squarely on its head, yet no one seems humble enough to acknowledge the existence of this problem. In what way is a subjectivist Audiophile qualified to give an opinion about sound quality for anyone other than himself/herself? Where is there objective evidence that there is a correlation between what one Audiophile hears and another might/will hear? When the measurements show one thing, but the subjectivist Audiophile hears something else, why is that it is always the case that the measurements must be wrong or that the measurements don't tell the whole story? Where is the humility? Oh, it's always, "I've listened to hundreds, if not thousands, of systems in a variety of place" or some such other egotistical posturing.

Where is there evidence that one has undertaken any sort of training to correlate what one hears with the measurements? As previously noted by me and by Sean Olive, Harman will soon be offering for free software which will spoon feed people lessons in learning to detect various kinds of distortion, amongst other things. How many subjectivist Audiophiles here are going to take Harman up on this free offer? A show of hands, please. I'm guessing none, that's why they are golden ears.

Manufacturer-supplied specs are filtered through the same processing as their product sheets and should be taken with the same amount of skepticism. Shooting from the hip, extensive and technically-detailed specs tend to be more accurate than superficial ones. It latter requires little skill.

Dear Kal: I think that many " problems/controversy " in manufacturer specs or magazynes measurements reside in which standars the specs have foundation: JIS, IEC, DIN,EIA,etc, etc. We all need to use and understand the same standards, like the RIAA one that unfortunately not all audiophiles understand it and its critical meaning.

regards and enjoy the music,
Raul.

Jeff continues to hit the nail squarely on its head, yet no one seems humble enough to acknowledge the existence of this problem. In what way is a subjectivist Audiophile qualified to give an opinion about sound quality for anyone other than himself/herself? Where is there objective evidence that there is a correlation between what one Audiophile hears and another might/will hear? When the measurements show one thing, but the subjectivist Audiophile hears something else, why is that it is always the case that the measurements must be wrong or that the measurements don't tell the whole story? Where is the humility? Oh, it's always, "I've listened to hundreds, if not thousands, of systems in a variety of place" or some such other egotistical posturing.

Where is there evidence that one has undertaken any sort of training to correlate what one hears with the measurements? As previously noted by me and by Sean Olive, Harman will soon be offering for free software which will spoon feed people lessons in learning to detect various kinds of distortion, amongst other things. How many subjectivist Audiophiles here are going to take Harman up on this free offer? A show of hands, please. I'm guessing none, that's why they are golden ears.

Oh excuse me. Move over. I will bow down and lick the feet of great Sean Olive too.

Oh and spoon feed? How fxxxing condescending is that?

Oh, and what piece of audio equipment has Sean ever designed and commercially marketed? He's just a great marketing tool.

Actually, I'd be more than happy to use such a software package. I currently use and recommend Critical Listening for Audio Professionals by the late F. Alton Everest and Ear Training for the Contemporary Musician by Wyatt, Schroeder and Elliot, but neither fits the bill perfectly (Everest's book is closest, but half of it is devoted to elements that only really aid studio engineers). I also already use the EBU's SQAM files to help ascertain the nature and scale of audibility of a range of potential problems in audio (I don't mention this in print because to do so would contravene its non-commercial usage agreement). I welcome anything that can add to that arsenal.

Ron, I disagree at least for me

I would welcome this free offer from Harman
Steve, I hardly consider you a subjectivist. To the contrary, knowing what I do about your room, gear, the process by which you make purchase decisions, and your intellect in fully comprehending the role that flavor choice has played in all of the things I just mentioned, you are far more of a rationalist than you give yourself credit for.

Oh excuse me. Move over. I will bow down and lick the feet of great Sean Olive too.
Ron is being extreme of course. Clearly someone with good hearing acuity can make observations that are useful, whether I hear the same or not. Many types of distortion have audible artifacts that can be heard by someone who knows what to listen for.

Oh, and what piece of audio equipment has Sean ever designed and commercially marketed? He's just a great marketing tool.
Myles that's not fair. Sean's day job is to provide quality assessments using objective and repeatable means for the designers at Harman. As such, he is just as much part of the R&D team as others actually figuring out what the next design should be. He also has a respected background at NRC where they spent a ton of time understanding what consumers liked and disliked in audio products. That his words help sell Harman product is a testament to good work that he does, not the other way around.

Actually, I'd be more than happy to use such a software package. I currently use and recommend Critical Listening for Audio Professionals by the late F. Alton Everest and Ear Training for the Contemporary Musician by Wyatt, Schroeder and Elliot, but neither fits the bill perfectly (Everest's book is closest, but half of it is devoted to elements that only really aid studio engineers). I also already use the EBU's SQAM files to help ascertain the nature and scale of audibility of a range of potential problems in audio (I don't mention this in print because to do so would contravene its non-commercial usage agreement). I welcome anything that can add to that arsenal.
Bravo!

In what way is a subjectivist Audiophile qualified to give an opinion about sound quality for anyone other than himself/herself? Where is there objective evidence that there is a correlation between what one Audiophile hears and another might/will hear?

ya know, i think my problem is that i spend so much time actually listening to music and enjoying my Lps and RTR tapes, that i just don't give a rip about being qualified or any darn correlation.

maybe i should listen less and worry more.

naaah.

this thread is at 262+ posts and no talk of music in any context.

maybe someday i'll grow up and be an objectivist. it would be interesting to find out the hours listened per week of objectivists verses subjectivists. i'm not judging what is correct; everyone has their personal approach and there is no right or wrong. but some are more into 'sound' and others more into 'music'. some enjoy the subject of high end music reproduction as much as the experience.

i like to see myself as interested in both but i know when i don't listen much i'm not as happy.

i'm not trying to derail the thread, just stepping back for a bit of context.

to be fair; at the end of the day i want my system to sound as good as it possibly can. god knows i've committed as many resources as anyone in that direction. so the objective performance is very important to me.

excuse me for my rambling.

In getting a overview of "objectivists" from various boards, it seems that many of them are in technical fields and come to audio not because they are music lovers or even audiophiles per se, but because they think that audio is "easy" and they can prevail in technical arguments with fluffy audiophiles.

In this, they tend both overestimate their own knowledge and technical skills and underestimate the audio hobby.

The truly inspired technocrats are those who take measurements to the absolute limit of their usability and usefullness, and then abandon them to art, just like musicians do with their instruments.

Ron is being extreme of course. Clearly someone with good hearing acuity can make observations that are useful, whether I hear the same or not. Many types of distortion have audible artifacts that can be heard by someone who knows what to listen for.
Hardly extreme, Amir. Instead, honest. Hurtful? Maybe. Sometimes the truth hurts, though.

"Someone who knows what to listen for" is the key part of your post. This thread is about why Audiophiles fear measurements. I maintain Jeff is spot on. Audiophiles are in fear of measurements and, instead of learning what to listen for or, stated another way, instead of learning to correlate what they hear with what at least some of the measurements show, they disparage science and proclaim they elitist superiority. When offered a chance, in this case, for free, to actually learn something, they raise straw men arguments. "I'm always right", says the subjectivist, "and if the measurements don't correlate with what I'm hearing, then something is wrong with the measurements" or "measurements don't tell the whole story". At this stage of our evolution and the evolution of the audio world, one has to have blinders on to fail to recognize the absence of humility. But again, that's why they're golden ears.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu