Wilson Alexx V vs Rockport Orion

so far Charles S. seems to be taking criticism of the Wilson XVX personally. indignantly. which is his choice. how we all deal with criticism of gear we own, particularly gear we researched and convinced ourselves is the end-all varies. and processing those feelings evolves. he has only been on WBF for three weeks.

Ron is just trying to speed up the process.....in Ron's own way. 10 days ago i tried to warn Charles S. to try and be less defensive. but maybe he just likes a little conflict and defending his choice. i can see the value of saying how you feel. and the value of engagement. it can be fun. where is @caesar to really get the anti-Wilson conspiracy juices flowing? and i notice Kedar has not dragged out his NLF yet to throw into the mix here.

popcorn time.

Reactions: sbo6
Huh? I haven’t heard Asian speakers..do you have brands in mind?
I would add to my earlier post by saying that the Rockports I have heard, in contrast to big Wilsons, are to my ears paragons of coherence and musicality… )
It was a joke..

• Haha
Reactions: Audiohertz2
I find it quite interesting that in this entire discussion I am the one of the few who recognizes that the XVX is not only the speaker of the decade but this half of the century, and Wilson is by far the most prestigious well thought off loudspeaker company of the last 30 years. it's their flagship statement speaker. I believe that I meant that your posts were novice, not the persons. You are not novices. Jimi you are quite negative toward the XVX as is Elliott and most of the rest of you. It seems your are on a mission to condemn it. I would be extremely surprised if you found anything other than to condemn it by faint praise. Why waste your time since I already know how you feel. As far as my knowledge of the high end is concerned, somehow I have managed to wind up my 50 plus years of high end with an XVX/Thor MC2.1KW An, 1.25KW (2), MC3500 (2), MCD12000 An, and C-12000 An, exactly the gear I wanted and highly respect. This whole thread began with the novice assertion that the Lyra was "better" than an XVX as verified by anecdotal evidence. This is and remains a ridiculous assertion. A forum like WBF is well established and has well established members that know each other and gang up on new folks who totally disagree with them. They are surprised and offended when someone new stands their ground as I have. But I am afraid that you have chosen a losing position, by asserting that the Lyra is a "better" speaker than an XVX. It's just not, and no amount of trips to hear it, etc., can change this fact.

You all haven't addressed the Lyra's advanced age, its small size, the discontinuation of the Arrakis in favor of a much smaller speaker that is almost a decade old. You haven't addressed RH's opinion of it or MF's other than to brush them aside. You haven't addressed MC extensive review and numerous other extremely positive glowing reviews. And you have dismissed me and my opinion that it is hands down the finest loudspeaker that I have heard. So by all means go hear the XVX in the million plus dollar setup. It won't change your mind but just give you more ammunition to condemn it. You have chosen a weak horse to race in your assertion that the Lyra is a "better" speaker than an XVX.

Hi Charles,
I read for entertainment and information, there is a lot I have been exposed to on this forum that has helped me learn and shape my sound. I'm far from where I started, ignorance is bliss, but after being exposed to more revealing sound, I could never go back to where I started. I remember reading your story on another forum years ago and I'm happy you're still loving the sound.

I don't think the XVX has been attacked but I do think your methodology has some holes in it. You have made a few blanket statements about the XVX that cannot objectively be backed up. We all prioritize different aspects of the sound we get, and its hard to accept that different speakers excel in different ways but you want us to believe the XVX wins in every category and why? RH says so or the price of admission?

I have a pretty small room right now, would the XVX be better in my room than the appropriately sized Aviors, it may be an improvement in some aspect but the full potential would never be realized? You mentioned how the XVX can scale with large orchestral works but have you paid attention to the Lyra's ability to do a jazz trio or an acoustic session? The speakers are just part of the equation, we haven't discussed amps, sources, grounding, digital vs analog, all of the things that are debated heavily on this forum all of which add or detract from the source.

I'm only typing this to encourage you to debate your choices and accept there is no consensus here, not everyone will like your stereo, and you shouldn't care if you're loving the music. It's easy to get the big kudos on other forums when you spend big, here you'll need to justify the spend. I'm not knocking McIntosh but I remember you saying you would never use another amp. Enjoy them but be open to the fact there could be something out there that is better, otherwise it seems like you're here only to defend choices you've already made, there is good advice here that can elevate your sound if you're open to it.

Dave

Reactions: sbo6
I find it quite interesting that in this entire discussion I am the one of the few who recognizes that the XVX is not only the speaker of the decade but this half of the century, and Wilson is by far the most prestigious well thought off loudspeaker company of the last 30 years. it's their flagship statement speaker.
Charles, I'm curious, was there an award and writeup identifying the XVX as the speaker of the decade / half century? trying to understand your assessment of the XVX and what input you've read. Thanks.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu