Your "World's Best Audio System" . . . 2012 Edition

Thanks guys. It's good to be back.

A few of other WBAS vinyl components.
First, a good industrial strength record cleaning machine. I have used VPI machines ever since they first came out 25+ years ago. However, next week I will be trying out the Audio Desk Systeme Ultrasonic Record Cleaner. The price at close to $4K is not for the faint of heart. We'll see how it works.
Second, another important accessory is a warp remover. I use the Air Tight Disk Flattener - a heavy duty device that puts records through a 4 hour heating and cooling cycle - great most all warps, like dish warps and even some edge warps. It runs slightly under $2K.
Finally, is a good strobe to accurately measure turntable speed. I use a Monarch PT99 which reads up to 3 decimal places and is an industrial product. At less than $200 it is priced comparably to the audiophile products that only read to 1 decimal point accuracy. You place a small piece of reflective adhesive tape (supplied) on the side of the platter and device measures the rotational speed.

-----Just WoW!

To tune my system, I have found Jim Smith's new book and video set "Get Better Sound" extremely useful. I even bought a laser tape measure to precisely set the distances to my speakers and followed his advice - which generally costs nothing to implement to fine tune my system. It is currently on sale for about $50. He uses some commonly available CD's to check your system. For example one cut of the Chieftain's 'Tears of Stone" CD has a distant chime. If your speakers are even as much as an inch different in distance from you, the chime will move from its correct position - near the right speaker to the middle or even left side of the listening field. I interacted first with Jim almost a decade ago when he was the US distributor of Avantgarde. He was very helpful, even though I had purchased my Duos used. You may not agree with everything he says, but I find Jim to be practical and thought provoking.

Thanks, Larry

-----Excellent CD Larry.

-----MI0002070459.jpg

----.----Click on it ^ for sound samples.

-----Just WoW!

-----Excellent CD Larry.

-----View attachment 3776

----.----Click on it ^ for sound samples.

Does anyone know wich cut as the distant chime, so whe could go listend to the complete track on Youtubemusic. thank you

---Andre, I believe it is track #10 "Sake in the Jar"* ...Definitely (listening to it right now)!

- And don't forget to give a listen to track #4 "The Magdalene Laundries" sang by Joni Mitchell.
{But the entire album (CD) is fantastic; well recorded and well received at our end.}

* Starting at exactly 00:56

Last edited:
---But Andre, youtube won't get you even close to what the CD can give you at home.

* Unless youtube has it in high res audio (which I doubt).

I use youtube just to see if i like the tunes, i'm 100% pro cd i don't download the only thing i do with computer music is i import all my cd,s in Itunes lossless for background music ONLY.

---Yeah I knew that. :b

By the way, those chime sounds, in my sweet spot, they are all over the soundstage.
So my two front main loudspeakers are not exactly/perfectly positioned to be at the absolute same distance from my two ears! :b

* But I think I know why; because my right ear is closer to my right loudspeaker, that's why. :b
...Or that my tweeter drivers are somehow different in their overall output (perhaps by a half dB).
...Or that my right wall is closer to me than my left wall.
...Or that I need new loudspeakers (with better tolerances), new room, new walls, better room acoustics (with room treatments), and a new house. :b

What a life, to be an audiophile! :D

-----I would love to give them a listen. :b ...And you seem to be so proud in that picture.

Yes Bob everytime i go to is place it's a minimum of 3 hours drive, BUT it is realy worth it i wish everyone could listend to this at least once in their life, when i'm there i'm like a kid in a candy store,

Yes Bob everytime i go to is place it's a minimum of 3 hours drive, BUT it is realy worth it i wish everyone could listend to this at least once in their life, when i'm there i'm like a kid in a candy store,

-----...That's what life's all 'bout! :b

The chime is on the Joni Mitchell cut, The Magdalene Laundries, at 0:25 into the cut. But there are very many specific cuts that Jim has detailed instructions for what to listen to in this album. Before Jim, I didn't even know who the Chieftains were. This album features them with some of the very best female artists around, Bonnie Raitt, Brenda Fricker, The Corrs, Diana Krall, among several others. Don't think that the You Tube resolution will get you to what Jim says to listen to.

I picked up my copy of the CD used at one of the Rasputins in the SF Bay Area - must have been about $8 or less.

Larry

The chime is on the Joni Mitchell cut, The Magdalene Laundries, at 0:25 into the cut. But there are very many specific cuts that Jim has detailed instructions for what to listen to in this album. Before Jim, I didn't even know who the Chieftains were. This album features them with some of the very best female artists around, Bonnie Raitt, Brenda Fricker, The Corrs, Diana Krall, among several others. Don't think that the You Tube resolution will get you to what Jim says to listen to.

I picked up my copy of the CD used at one of the Rasputins in the SF Bay Area - must have been about $8 or less.

Larry

Hi astrotoy, the only reason for me wanting to listend to the chimes on youtube was to get an idea of the tunes on that cd, because like you i didn't know the Chieftains and wanted to hear what kind of music it was because even if the cd was only $5.00 if i don't like the music i would not buy it.

After a listend on Itunes, it's simply not my kind of music, not bad just not my kind.:)

Last edited:

Larry

-----Ah, track #4, sang by Joni Mitchell is my favorite track. :b
{Track #10 also has chime sounds.}

The Chieftains? ...Van Morrison? ...All his good friends. :b

* Irish artists, Celtic music; all part of a world balanced repertoire.
Besides, this particular CD here is famous among professional audiophile reviewers.
The ladies' voices are an excellent test for your loudspeakers. ...Plus much much more.
It is simply a MUST in your music collection. ...On RCAVictor Record label.

Ok Lets raise up the bar a little...ijijijjijiji

Source for the Best system in the world can only be RTR: I have compared a server with Mykerinos big server and a Pacific Microsonics model Two head to head against an Ampex ATR 102 and the reel walked all over it not even funny! Several tapes, not only Tape Project, Quinton and Vintage 2 track.
But For looks I will go for an Ampex 300 or 350 transport, FluxMagentics extended response head 2 track 15 ips BH electronics or King Cello.
Technics is far behind Ampex.

Active speakers of course, an amplifier for each driver, SETs of course, Lamm, Moth Audio, Shindo or something exotic. Horn Speakers with a dedicated SET amp for each channel, 4 or 5 ways. Wood Horns, none of those plastic stuff. Front Horn loaded from as low as posible, without going crazy with 20 foot long horns!

Passive Line level Xovers, very transparent preamp, too bad passive preamps cannot drive PLLXO: Lamm, Placette, Pass.

Just that and a bunch of tapes!

Ok Lets raise up the bar a little...ijijijjijiji

Source for the Best system in the world can only be RTR: I have compared a server with Mykerinos big server and a Pacific Microsonics model Two head to head against an Ampex ATR 102 and the reel walked all over it not even funny! Several tapes, not only Tape Project, Quinton and Vintage 2 track.
But For looks I will go for an Ampex 300 or 350 transport, FluxMagentics extended response head 2 track 15 ips BH electronics or King Cello.
Technics is far behind Ampex.

Active speakers of course, an amplifier for each driver, SETs of course, Lamm, Moth Audio, Shindo or something exotic. Horn Speakers with a dedicated SET amp for each channel, 4 or 5 ways. Wood Horns, none of those plastic stuff. Front Horn loaded from as low as posible, without going crazy with 20 foot long horns!

Passive Line level Xovers, very transparent preamp, too bad passive preamps cannot drive PLLXO: Lamm, Placette, Pass.

Just that and a bunch of tapes!

+1 on the tapes. There's no going back. You can only hide your head in the sand for so long.

---But how much stuff is available on tapes?

Melody Gardot?

Hey Bob, how many times do you want to raise the same question? If I had a dollar for everytime someone's asked that question, I'd own XLFs. Let me ask you this. What is the title of the thread?

If we go by your rules, why talk about any of the equipment Jeff has assembled in his system because after all, who's going to own Magico, XLFs, etc? Why is it lately when anyone here talks about the best of anything in audio anymore on this forum, it's instantly crapped on?

Then again, Melody who? Next year she'll be another has been like most of the no talent, studio created, autotune crap released today. Besides, does it make any sense to release a digital recording on tape? That is unless you're a producer and want to eliminate that cold, sterile, harsh digital sound.

+1 on the tapes. There's no going back. You can only hide your head in the sand for so long.

Hey Bob, how many times do you want to raise the same question? If I had a dollar for everytime someone's asked that question, I'd own XLFs. Let me ask you this. What is the title of the thread?

If we go by your rules, why talk about any of the equipment Jeff has assembled in his system because after all, who's going to own Magico, XLFs, etc? Why is it lately when anyone here talks about the best of anything in audio anymore on this forum, it's instantly crapped on?

Then again, Melody who? Next year she'll be another has been like most of the no talent, studio created, autotune crap released today. Besides, does it make any sense to release a digital recording on tape? That is unless you're a producer and want to eliminate that cold, sterile, harsh digital sound.

-----Myles, did I really have to show you your own quotes?
I never complained on other's posts because I'm human and flexible and always take the positive side of life.
{I'm not the one who brought tapes into the equation, and besides it is perfectly appropriate in this thread right here.}

If for every small bifurcation in life there was a correction, life simply would cease to exist.
And no one, and I mean no one would be above or below...

Last edited:
Description of amazing custom set up.
Thanks, Larry

Now that I've picked my chin up off the floor I have to ask, what would you change? You've considered convenience and absolute quality and taken significant action to address shortcomings. What's missing?

I know some of the details behind the Tidal Audio La Assoluta system and it certainly would be my only choice for the best system ever assembled.

If I however should give my second best choices from other brands these would be on my short list:

Loudspeakers - Rockport Arrakis II, Magico Q5, Lansche Audio Model 8.1, Kharma Exquisite Extreme Grand, German Physiks The Gaudi MK.II, MBL 101 X-treme, Wilson Audio X-2 Alexandria Series 2, JM Lab Grande Utopia EM, The Sonus Faber.
Power Amplifiers - Goldmund Telos 3500, Sovereign Audio THE SOVEREIGN, Soulution Audio 700, darTZeel NHB-458, Gryphon Colosseum Solo, Jeff Rowland 925, Boulder 3050, Constellation Audio Herkules, Technical Brain TBP-Zero ver.2.
Preamplifier - FM Acoustics Resolution Series 268, Soulution 720, Goldmund Mimesis 22H, Boulder 2010.
Phono Preamplifier - FM Acoustics Resolution Series 223, Aeshtetix IO Eclipse, Boulder 2008, Ypsilon Electronics VPS-100, Souluton Audio 750, Vitus Audio MP-201, Constellation Audio Orion.
Digital Source - Audieeva Conbrio, Wadia 971/931/922, Constellation Audio Sirius, dCS Scarlatti, Esoteric P-01VU/G-0Rb/D-01VU, Burmester 069/111, MBL 1621A/1611F, CH Precison C1/D1, Metronome Technologie Kalista Ultimate SE, GTE Audio Trinity DAC Mk.II, APL Hifi NWO-Master, Goldmund Eidos Reference Blue LE/Mimesis 20H, Orpheus Labs Privelige Transport/Privelige DAC Mk.II, Zanden Audio 2000P/5000S, Stahl-Tek Vekhian Opus CDT/DAC, Soulution 745, Spectral Audio SDR-5000.
Analgue source - Clearaudio Statement Turntable/Statement TT-1 Tonearm/Goldfinger Statement Cartridge, Continuum Audio Labs Caliburn/Castellon/Cobra, Koetsu Coralstone Platinum, Transrotor Artus, da Vinci Audio Labs Master Reference Virtu Tonearm, Lyra Atlas Cartridge.

Gents,

Love the list and am fortunate to live with a few of these myself. Any more news on the Tidal La Assoluta as we approach its release this summer?

Gents,

Love the list and am fortunate to live with a few of these myself. Any more news on the Tidal La Assoluta as we approach its release this summer?

Yes, I konw all details but I am not at liberty to reveal any information yet. What I can say is that the original idea of the La Assoluta is delayed and will have another name. La Assoluta is now not a complete system, but a speaker. It replaces the earlier scheduled T2. The plan is that it will find its way into one of my three systems along side a new planned tower shaped reference mono amplifier from Tidal which will come a little later than La Assoluta. The La Assoluta will be a sensation with groundbreaking new technology and material choices not used in in a similar application in any speaker ever designed before.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing