Ypsilon VPS - 100 phono stage - how good?

I have compared Allnic H7000 (with RK 5u4g recti) to Ypsilon with Lyra Atlas and Ypsilon SUT in Ypsilon. Ypsilon had slightly cleaner extended high, while the H7000 had more midbass energy and flow. I liked both, but the H7000 in the used market is half the price, and I would buy that each time over the Ypsilon. The Allnic 3000 was better than the Zesto and Trulife when the recti was swapped, was less than the Zesto with stock recti.

Unlike with dacs, there are many good phonos, and as long as there is synergy with your cart and preamp, I would always go for one that is good value and flexible. Yes The Allnic 5000 with its DHT flow was slightly better than the Aesthetix IO Eclipse sonically and possibly the best I heard (I heard the H8000 twice but never compared it). But while I desire the carts I like Dava and Red Sparrow and a mono, and desire the Vyger, I don't "desire" my favorite phono, I am happy with all of them. I would never buy an expensive phono even if I had the spare cash, because that cash is better put somewhere else like records.

Rada, Misho, are great value phonos you can get direct from eastern europe. Thomas Mayer D3a works great with TM pre in SETs type systems and very good reliability in construction. One person I know sold off the Zanden phono for Misho's 4k euro direct, and likes the inexpensive Misho SUT as much as Kondo SFz. So, don't get FOMO reading phono notes across the forum.

One person I know sold off the Zanden phono for Misho's 4k euro direct
Hi Kedar,

How can we interpret anything sonically from merely this fact?

You are implying that to this person the Misho 4k sounds better than, as good as, almost as good as or a substantial fraction as good as the Zanden phono. But maybe this person switched to a much cheaper phono stage only to pay for a roof repair?

Reactions: Odd Harry
Hi Kedar,

How can we interpret anything sonically from merely this fact?

You are implying that to this person the Misho 4k sounds better than, as good as, almost as good as or a substantial fraction as good as the Zanden phono. But maybe this person switched to a much cheaper phono stage only to pay for a roof repair?

He switched purely for sonics, his other electronics are quite more expensive as are his speakers and TT. I will let him announce when he does. Thanks for trying to mislead He thought the misho phono was better.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu