Zu loudspeakers

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Don't be so condescending!

Really, you ignore a suggestion when you are next to the speakers to go in and listen to them, then diss without listening. I have nothing against you dissing Anima you gave them a fair listen across trials

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ked, I missed my chance, I really don't recall the opportunity. You have a chance to come up here, hear well optimised Zus in a great acoustic, but are reluctant because of no chance to swap/AB gear. But you've said no too.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ked, I missed my chance, I really don't recall the opportunity. You have a chance to come up here, hear well optimised Zus in a great acoustic, but are reluctant because of no chance to swap/AB gear. But you've said no too.

No similarity. I am not standing in the same building as your system, it is not being recommended to me by a third person while standing there to go in and must check, I have heard them 6 times before in another room. Your amp usage on Zus is different from others on the thread, the universum at Munich as voiced by the designer was more representative of their usage. And yes, I don't remember dissing your current set up

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
And FWIW, you thought the Animas/Traformatic at Munich did classic rock justice?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
And FWIW, you thought the Animas/Traformatic at Munich did classic rock justice?

I loved that set up. But that is a completely different sound from universum, trios, pnoe, Cessaro, yamamura. All of those sound different to each other. One can like all of them or dislike one and like the other

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
No similarity. I am not standing in the same building as your system, it is not being recommended to me by a third person while standing there to go in and must check, I have heard them 6 times before in another room. Your amp usage on Zus is different from others on the thread, the universum at Munich as voiced by the designer was more representative of their usage. And yes, I don't remember dissing your current set up
Sure Ked, I've learnt by now that life is too short to argue w you. Just please don't confuse a request for me to hear Universums w advice. If I want yr advice, say on Lampi, AF1, I'll ask for it. Check the dictionary to see the difference btwn advice and suggestion.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Sure Ked, I've learnt by now that life is too short to argue w you. Just please don't confuse a request for me to hear Universums w advice. If I want yr advice, say on Lampi, AF1, I'll ask for it. Check the dictionary to see the difference btwn advice and suggestion.

? So now you are misquoting purposefully?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Maybe we can resume normal programming rather than the Möbius Loop of always suggesting options away from Zus. On a Zu thread.

Respect to Tao. His ideas are to add PAPs to my Zu setup. Not the relentless suggestions to ditch Zu for horns.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I hope it will Ron... might be easier to go with some RELs but a mate looked at me like I needed a challenge. Thinking of keeping it relatively simple and hopefully coherent.

Not might be easier — definitely easier! a friend of mine with big Maggies is very happy with his REL 212SEs.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I did read Don Saltzman’s review of the big RELs (great reviewer btw as you have said before) Ron and was very tempted. They just look like a force of nature and so I do worry about my hearing as the only times I’ve had tinnitus issues have been with (admittedly great) deep hz subs like the Wilson Benesch Torus and the Genelecs so I am wary of losing any hearing. I have managed to keep my hearing even with some early nightclub work when younger and thought if I made something modest (and isobarics are relatively narrow band I have been told) to just get down an additional 10 hz or there abouts I could avoid the temptation to drive too far down the register. I do have quite a bit more research to do first though.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
The Universums are overpriced? Compared to what? Cessaro, Acapella and Avantgarde are extremely more expensive :rolleyes:
I think the Universums have an excellent Price-Performance-Ratio :cool:

No offence to Jürgen/Shakti but if you take a closer look to his regular turnover in gear, he kept the Universums for quite a long time for his personal rate :eek:
And he is using Wilson now ? Jürgen wants to try everything. Why not ?
I don’t think he is losing money when he sells, on the contrary ;)

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
And he is using Wilson now ? Jürgen wants to try everything. Why not ?
I don’t think he is losing money when he sells, on the contrary ;)
He is a clever guy :p
I just wanted to point out to Marc that Jürgen selling something doesn't have to mean anything other than he has to cater the next itch ;)

Reactions: Lagonda

SETDrugs

Feb 9, 2019
Fountain Valley, California
Just spoke to Sean the other day about a few things and I wanted to give a very brief heads up on whats developing on the Zu front as of late.

Basically in short, the upcoming RMAF will potentially see the debut of new Series 6 speakers ( what Sean is calling this new line): Druid mk6 - already out, the Soul Supreme succesor - not sure about official name, and of course new Definition.

From what Sean told me, these will be a higher line maybe right below the upcoming revised Dominance with the other speakers remaining where they are and will not be discontinued.

All of these speakers will make use of new drivers and trickle down tech as learned and developed for their upcoming Dominance TOTL speaker which may or may not be ready by RMAF but I'm told for sure by end of year.

Of course being a fan and owner of Soul Supreme I was most excited about news of successor to this speaker coming out so fast. Sean says it will have same performance of the Druid mk6 but in a shorter obelisk cabinet and at reduced cost - mostly due to lack of necessity of large aluminum machined bottom plinth of the Druid. Also, the new FRD was custom designed just for the new Soul speaker due to the different obelisk cabinet.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Good news Kevin. Druid VI could be the ticket for me. I'm more and more convinced that Class D subs augmenting the main FRDs in my Definitions remains a bottkeneck in overall seamlessness.

If as Phil/213Cobra says in his Audiogon review that the Druids VI truly extend in-room to mid 30's Hz, then this is more likely to be the ticket for me than Definitions VI or Experiences.

Only caveat is that the Druids VI appear to be much more amp-fussy, and that extra half-octave bass extension, in his opinion, isn't best served by a host of SETs.

Maybe I'll look at something like the new Pass Labs XA-30.8 to work w it.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Good news Kevin. Druid VI could be the ticket for me. I'm more and more convinced that Class D subs augmenting the main FRDs in my Definitions remains a bottkeneck in overall seamlessness.

If as Phil/213Cobra says in his Audiogon review that the Druids VI truly extend in-room to mid 30's Hz, then this is more likely to be the ticket for me than Definitions VI or Experiences.

Only caveat is that the Druids VI appear to be much more amp-fussy, and that extra half-octave bass extension, in his opinion, isn't best served by a host of SETs.

Maybe I'll look at something like the new Pass Labs XA-30.8 to work w it.
Who are you kidding Marc,? You will never give up your membership to the
SET club/cult. Think of the loss in prestige ;)

Reactions: bonzo75

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Yep, "prestigious" is my label of choice.

Some people favour: sexy, goodlooking, talented even. I prefer prestigious.

Dalliance w SS over.

Reactions: Lagonda

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Valiant attempt to normalise Marc... thank heavens that is over... and a safe return to SET game and match.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well, I did hear an all Ares Cerat system w the $120k Symphonia horns yesterday, so the tractor beam pull from SETs remains unbreakable.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Who are you kidding Marc,? You will never give up your membership to the
SET club/cult. Think of the loss in prestige ;)

For hifi there is always MasterCard. The ability to look down on SS owners is priceless

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Lol

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing