2020 C8 Corvette introduction, thoughts ?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I am happy the C8 has its engine in the right place for a sports car, but I think the design of the body of this car is pretty terrible.

To my eyes there are way too many creases and inlets and indentation lines. I think it looks ridiculously busy from the front, from the back, from the sides and even from above. The front and the rear look wide and weirdly pinched too tight at the same time.

I wish they had made it much cleaner and smoother-looking without all of the origami-looking creases on every side.

Contrast the body design of this C8 with a Ferrari 360 Modena. They are basically the same exact design concept, but I think the 360 is clean and sleek and smooth and beautiful-looking.

52106995-9776-4D43-BF80-55A63A8CE055.jpeg

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

And the 2004 Ferrari 360 Modena was $147,332 - $182,487 MSRP

Reactions: christoph

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Ron, subjective isn't it.

A 458 and the C8
On looks I think the C8 carries the water. The Ferrari 458 is a very good looking Ferrari
640x445880.jpg 2020-Chevrolet-C8-Corvette-Stingray-revealed.jpg

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
My dream car is the Aston Martin DB5, but this Stingray can really do it for me too.
For me personally, the C2 Coupé is one of the most beautiful cars ever built :cool:
But the DB4 and DB5 are NOT ugly, too :D

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
For me personally, the C2 Coupé is one of the most beautiful cars ever built :cool:
But the DB4 and DB5 are NOT ugly, too :D

Although I prefer a more rounded car sculpture, this C8 is far better looking and better proportion than the 360 Modena. Best modern looking American car imo. If later they come out with the Z06 I will buy one too.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Check out the Lamborghini Veneno. Not all Italian cars are rounded and sculpted. It makes the C8 look tame in comparison.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I am happy the C8 has its engine in the right place for a sports car, but I think the design of the body of this car is pretty terrible.

To my eyes there are way too many creases and inlets and indentation lines. I think it looks ridiculously busy from the front, from the back, from the sides and even from above. The front and the rear look wide and weirdly pinched too tight at the same time.

I wish they had made it much cleaner and smoother-looking without all of the origami-looking creases on every side.

Contrast the body design of this C8 with a Ferrari 360 Modena. They are basically the same exact design concept, but I think the 360 is clean and sleek and smooth and beautiful-looking.

View attachment 55738

It looks old, you can tell what era it's from just by looking at it.

C8 is far better. ;)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com

View attachment 55738
you are certainly entitled to your opinion about looks but those " creases" as you call them are for air flow for both engine cooling and air flow to make the car go faster.
You should also keep in mind that this car is about 1/5 the price of a Ferrari and will preform with the great
cars of the world regardless of price. I believe they have done an amazing job of making the car in the Vette tradition. The tradition is a world class sports car that people can afford and drive. I have owned three and I used them all as a daily driver. One would never do that with a Ferrari or a Lambo.
The starting price on a C8 is 58900! Add the Z-51 and perhaps the LT2 package and you are going to be ( after the smoke clears) around 68-75K
You can buy at least 4 of these for that price!
I love art but I want performance as well. In audio their are many "arty pieces" however at the end of the day if it don't rock then I don't want it.
I also plan on putting my money where my mouth is and buying one. 2020 won't work for me and I will not pay over retail but 2021 there's one in Bowling Green with my name on it!

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Although I prefer a more rounded car sculpture, this C8 is far better looking and better proportion than the 360 Modena. Best modern looking American car imo. If later they come out with the Z06 I will buy one too.

I like the C8 as well quite a lot but don't forget about the Ford GT ;)

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I bet a Z06'd version of this Vette will compete (peformance/handling) with the much more expensive and unobtainium Ford GT.
Probably. But the GT does look very good, too :cool:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . .
And the 2004 Ferrari 360 Modena was $147,332 - $182,487 MSRP

I’m not sure what the price difference matters in terms of the body design. I think it probably costs extra in design work and committee decision process to figure out where to put all of those unnatural lines and creases! :D

Steve Williams

I’m not sure what the price difference matters in terms of the body design. I think it probably costs extra in design work and committee decision process to figure out where to put all of those unnatural lines and creases! :D

Think of those creases as heat sinks in amplifiers Ron. Hence the need :)

Reactions: Ron Resnick

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
Wait till Porsche drops the 992 Turbo "bomb"...
The 992 C4S does it in 3.4s - the C8 is suppoed to do it in under 3s
(im guessing 2.9 oder 2.8)
Now imagine what the new 992 Turbo will do ;)

Steve Williams

Wait till Porsche drops the 992 Turbo "bomb"...
The 992 C4S does it in 3.4s - the C8 is suppoed to do it in under 3s
(im guessing 2.9 oder 2.8)
Now imagine what the new 992 Turbo will do ;)

It still pales at the 0-60 of 1.9 seconds by the Tesla Roadster

Reactions: christoph

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing