Aesthetix Io Users Group

Like you, I have quiet JJ tubes for v1 and v2, supplied by Aesthetix. I use these as a baseline.

By experimenting with NOS tubes in v1-v2, you get into a debate "how much noise do I tolerate, in order to get more musical sound". Which is up to you and your tastes. One of the great things about the Io: you are free to experiment, and choose.
Are you saying hear that in fact the JJ tubes are quieter than most of the NOS you compare them to?

I have not compared much, but yes, I was positively surprised by the low noise level of the JJ tubes I got back together with the Io after a repair in 2018. For the first time I thought: this phono stage could maybe sound optimal even with .25 or so ohm carts. Although I have not changed from my .56 Lyra Atlas. The NOS I have tried have varied from quite equal, to a little bit more noisy than the JJs, to clearly more noisy. I've been lucky to find a Telefunken quad that has a similar low noise level.

Don was so happy with the quietness of Jim's stock Sovtek tubes when he got his upgraded Io back that he has decided to stop playing with NOS (which, previously, he had swapped in and out exhaustively for many years).

Last edited:
I can understand that. Since I was lucky with the first quad I got from the seller I asked for another Tele quad, and got it, only to find that it was more noisy. So I returned it. The seller seemed a bit irritated but I did get my money back...

Reactions: Ron Resnick
What about the "splitting the baby" strategy of keeping Sovteks in V1 and V2 and putting NOS in V3 and V4?

Or are the V3 and V4 gain positions too inconsequential to affect materially the sound?

Last edited:
My guess is, it will give some of the musical benefit of the NOS, but not as much as in the V1 and v2.

However I think that tubes that sound noisy in V1-2 may sound ok in v3-4. You dont notice the noise level there.

My guess is, it will give some of the musical benefit of the NOS, but not as much as in the V1 and v2.
I would assume the same.

However I think that tubes that sound noisy in V1-2 may sound ok in v3-4. You dont notice the noise level there.
I may try Telefunkens in V3 and Mullards in V4, or vice versa.

Or what about Mullards in V3 and Mullards in V4?

o_O

The other thing I should mention is that I am using a very low output cartridge and single-ended inputs and connections, so I am already about 75% of maximum on the Io volume controls.

I find Telefunken smooth plates have always been the best in my first gain stage due to their extreme linearity with my Aesthetix Rhea, from standard to Signature to Eclipse levels and also a friend’s three box IO. Never heard anything better over the decades.

Reactions: Kcin and abeidrov
Like you, I have quiet JJ tubes for v1 and v2, supplied by Aesthetix. I use these as a baseline. I then listen to the noise level of different NOS tubes. Since the noise level is supremely important in these positions. In my case, Amperex (Philips Herleen factory 1960s) performed fine at first, yet became more noisy faster than the Telefunkens I have used.
Yep! +1

The two key tubes are the 6922’s and the 6SN7’s
Why do you feel these are the two key tubes rather than the first gain stage tubes (V1 and V2)?

I swapped out the stock Sovtek 6SN7s and put in Raytheon short bottles. Maybe I am hearing a touch more upper bass? And maybe the soundstage is a bit wider?

I don't remember why I got these Raytheon short bottles. What do most of you use in Io V8?

Why do people use short bottle 6SN7s?

Last edited:
My NOS long plate halo getter Mullards effort in V1 and V2 was disturbing. The sound seemed slower and cloudy. Very puzzling.

Maybe they needed to burn in? I don't know; I almost couldn't sleep with them being in there and knowing the Io was sounding like that!

Last edited:
Reactions: DetroitVinylRob
I swapped out the stock Sovtek 6SN7s and put in Raytheon short bottles. Maybe I am hearing a touch more upper bass? And maybe the soundstage is a bit wider?

I don't remember why I got these Raytheon short bottles. What do most of you use in Io V8?

Was using 50s-60s Red Base CBS 5692 (6sn7) and the sound definitely improved

Was using 50s-60s Red Base CBS 5692 (6sn7) and the sound definitely improved
Improved in what ways? The sound went from what to what?

Thank you.

Improved in what ways? The sound went from what to what?

Thank you.
Pretty much all the standard things we hope for when spending our hard earned money on. Unfortunately I’m not much of a wordsmith but the best analogy I can think of would be a difference in magnitude of going from a really nice digital playback to a really nice vinyl system.

Pretty much all the standard things we hope for when spending our hard earned money on. Unfortunately I’m not much of a wordsmith but the best analogy I can think of would be a difference in magnitude of going from a really nice digital playback to a really nice vinyl system.
Thank you!

And this is versus which stock 6SN7 tube?

Thank you!

And this is versus which stock 6SN7 tube?
Don’t recall what the stock tubes were as it was about 7-8 years ago when I got the Eclipse. Bought the tubes wayyy back when I had the IO Signature (2006-ish)

I use 5692's in that position. Either RCA red base or an equivalent in light brown base. The 5692 is a military version of the 6SN7 with additional rods internally that reduce microphonic noise. They are also rated for 10,000 hours and are the premium version.

The V7 is the output buffer and should be as tonally linear and non-interfering as possible, at least that's what I prefer. That's why users like Telefunken or Siemens 6922, 7308 or CCa.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing