Any Bergmann "Galder" owners here ?

marmota

Feb 3, 2016
What is the sonic benefit of a 40kg copper platter versus an 11.8 kg aluminium platter ?
thanks
Philip

I wish I knew the exact answer, I only said it looks better to me. The photo is from Bergmann's Facebook. You should ask Bergmann about it and share it here, they're more than qualified to give a correct answer, it's their turntable after all.
I expect it to sound better, but that's a pure conjecture by me based on intuition and not experience.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
What is the expected servicing interval for this (or any other air flow based) LT arm? 4 years tops?

My 30 year old Eminent Technology II tonearm never needed service, I replaced the paper air filter a couple of times because it was very inexpensive. Although the instructions show how to disassemble and clean the air manifold I never had to do it - probably because I always used it with a good air filter in a non polluted zone.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
What is the sonic benefit of a 40kg copper platter versus an 11.8 kg aluminium platter ?
thanks
Philip
Quite a lot Philip. A light aluminum platter rings, sound is colored with an upper bass boost and little low bass. The copper platter has a lot less coloration than aluminum and the extra mass translates into better deeper bass without upper bass low mid bump of aluminum. If used properly the additional inertia of the heavier platter translates into more resolution. I'm not familiar with the copper platter's construction but it could be a little lean compared to the aluminum.

david

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
the extra mass translates into better deeper bass
I'm not familiar with the copper platter's construction but it could be a little lean compared to the aluminum.

david

Hi David, how does this work? The extra mass translates into deeper bass (this is what I thought based on anecdotal experience). But then, you say the copper platter could be a little lean compared to the aluminum? Do you mean because of the reduction in mid/upper bass bump? Would it be more linear and only lean in a relative sense, or lean overall (as in lacking)?

Thanks.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Aluminum won't ring with a rubber mat on it. The problem is rubber sounds bleh by itself.
I heard a Dobbins Garrard 301 with the rubber mat compared to a copper platter mat. The copper was a very noticeable improvement. The rubber really killed stage depth and created a wall of sound effect.

Reactions: Folsom

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I find platter choice/mat material one of the wackier aspects of audio. Just how does this all make such a difference? Just resonance/vibration related?

Reactions: bazelio

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Marc,

While they can stop some noise from coming up, the majority of it is an interaction with the LP when it turns into a speaker. We all know that if you turn your volume completely off and listen near the stylus you can hear music. That's because it basically turns into a mini speaker. What's underneath it will affect that interaction, which in turn affects the the stylus itself. Some things absorb, some reflection, some ring, etc. But for example they don't uniformly do one or the other. A rubber mat will absorb deep frequencies but almost nothing that the LP produces, and will be reflective to other frequencies it does. Different surfaces will also affect how the vibrations travel along the LP as well.

But for them to affect it in certain ways they have to make contact, and a lot of stuff doesn't really if you have a weight/clamp.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
i have had a disc flattener for 6-7 years. never used it. it sits just there. honestly it's rare i find a pressing audibly effected by warps. don't even think about it. yet the vacuum does have it's attractions. it's not until i own three tt's again that i even ponder that question. suppose i'm trying to justify it. would not be the first time.:cool:

the problem with the Flattener, is that the pressings that i'd like to use it on are a few of my most precious 45 rpm 4-disc sets that are irreplacable. and since they apparently play fine, i live with it. the other rare occasions where i find a pressing with warps it's typically not worth the effort.

Never used it, really - I have owned my Orb DF-02 for over 10 years now and it is always used. If something is not quite flat - I just put it into the flattener overnight and in the morning its flat. With the exception of a GZ pressing 10 years ago ( when GZ were using a soft vinyl compound - they have changed back now) I have never had one record damaged by the flattener.
I do it more to save the cartridge suspension going up and down over those dished vinyl over and over again.

I still buy a lot of new release vinyl, so the flattener is invaluable to me.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Marc,

While they can stop some noise from coming up, the majority of it is an interaction with the LP when it turns into a speaker. We all know that if you turn your volume completely off and listen near the stylus you can hear music. That's because it basically turns into a mini speaker. What's underneath it will affect that interaction, which in turn affects the the stylus itself. Some things absorb, some reflection, some ring, etc. But for example they don't uniformly do one or the other. A rubber mat will absorb deep frequencies but almost nothing that the LP produces, and will be reflective to other frequencies it does. Different surfaces will also affect how the vibrations travel along the LP as well.

But for them to affect it in certain ways they have to make contact, and a lot of stuff doesn't really if you have a weight/clamp.

Long ago I read a test that was carried with an LP that had a zone with signals and music and a silent endless groove. Two tonearms were being used - one to play the signal and music zone and the other to listen to the silent groove while the other section was being played. Several types of turntable mats were listened in this test. It would be great to repeat such tests with current top audio analyzers - it says a lot about what happens to the energy released by the stylus in the LP.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Long ago I read a test that was carried with an LP that had a zone with signals and music and a silent endless groove. Two tonearms were being used - one to play the signal and music zone and the other to listen to the silent groove while the other section was being played. Several types of turntable mats were listened in this test. It would be great to repeat such tests with current top audio analyzers - it says a lot about what happens to the energy released by the stylus in the LP.

I would love to see the data.

Reactions: MrC.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Aluminum won't ring with a rubber mat on it. The problem is rubber sounds bleh by itself.
A nice thick stainless platter, with a leather mat is my preference.
Thank you ddk ! :)

Reactions: ddk
Quite a lot Philip. A light aluminum platter rings, sound is colored with an upper bass boost and little low bass. The copper platter has a lot less coloration than aluminum and the extra mass translates into better deeper bass without upper bass low mid bump of aluminum. If used properly the additional inertia of the heavier platter translates into more resolution. I'm not familiar with the copper platter's construction but it could be a little lean compared to the aluminum.

david
David
How about Gunmetal versus Copper ?
Johnnie Bergmann emailed me last night and said he could also offer a 40kg gunmetal platter; he wrote:
"Some analog users, like the sound of gunmetal, which should be fuller and warmer."
Any thoughts ?
thanks,
Philip

Reactions: marmota
A nice thick stainless platter, with a leather mat is my preference.
Thank you ddk ! :)
Sorry, but a leather mat is not an option with a vacuum hold-down on the Galder.

Reactions: Lagonda

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Hi David, how does this work? The extra mass translates into deeper bass (this is what I thought based on anecdotal experience). But then, you say the copper platter could be a little lean compared to the aluminum? Do you mean because of the reduction in mid/upper bass bump? Would it be more linear and only lean in a relative sense, or lean overall (as in lacking)?

Thanks.
As a material copper is more linear sounding than aluminum in the bass region but leaner mid up but IMO overall preferable to aluminum which I'm not a fan of. But I'm oversimplifying everything, there are many other factors that matter when designing the platter.
Thorens and Garrard made some excellent sounding turntables with rubber mats, they knew their compounds.

david

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Maybe the secret is the rubber has to be almost plastic? Hard as hell?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
David
How about Gunmetal versus Copper ?
Johnnie Bergmann emailed me last night and said he could also offer a 40kg gunmetal platter; he wrote:
"Some analog users, like the sound of gunmetal, which should be fuller and warmer."
Any thoughts ?
thanks,
Philip
Leaving overall design alone gunmetal is smoother sounding than copper but not by much. Every metal has it's manufacturing quirks and availability in each market, I haven't seen gun metal platters anywhere outside of Japan. Neither material is poor sounding and with proper design you'll have world class turntables using copper or gunmetal.

Sorry, but a leather mat is not an option with a vacuum hold-down on the Galder.

Depends on the platter and hold down design, Micro Seikis had leather mats with their vacuum platters.

david

Reactions: Lagonda and marmota

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Any thoughts on my fairly unique solution? A 9kg Al platter, but the lp rests on a half dozen small Delrin pods bonded to the platter ie not contact of lp directly w platter.

I then use a heavy periphery ring and medium mass (450g) record weight to mate lp as fully as possible to the Delrin pods.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Any thoughts on my fairly unique solution? A 9kg Al platter, but the lp rests on a half dozen small Delrin pods bonded to the platter ie not contact of lp directly w platter.

I then use a heavy periphery ring and medium mass (450g) record weight to mate lp as fully as possible to the Delrin pods.
Not really Marc pressure points like that don't make sense to me except that it's an easy way to deal with resonance. I don't know if you recall Transcriptor Skeleton tts were made with the same idea first.

david

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing