Anyone Understand Design Approach of Stenheim? What are they doing differently from Magico, YG, Wilson, etc., to have High Sensitivity?

Tell your friend our very own @tima liked the Lamm hybrids and wrote a wonderful review on them :p

In fact the Lamm's M1.2R are widely reviewed along the years, Stereophile even did it twice.

Fortunately ... ;)

Anyway, the main conclusion of this thread seems to be that Steinheim are not high efficiency, being not different from many other box speaker is this aspect and WBF members have different preferences.
I believe that Steinheim's contribution to the audio world is an aluminum box construction with a port as compared to YG and Magico which are sealed.

Unless I've missed something.

The music doesn't come out of the system, the playback time of the cd player is always the same, and the turntable has suddenly disappeared 2.43 min ... strange;)
Strange video indeed. Turntable disappears and then appears again, but where do you see a CD player..?

Reactions: christoph
This reviewer prefers the 120w KR to the Lamm hybrids http://www.theaudiobeat.com/equipment/kr_audio_va910.htm

Which tells us nothing about Stenheim. But wait, here's a chance for even more confusing triangulation with Atkinson's review of the Lansch 5.1 speaker (used in that KR Audio amp review you cite) that included the M1.2Ref. Do you agree that each amplifier does not work well with every speaker?

Reactions: Lagonda
The music doesn't come out of the system, the playback time of the cd player is always the same, and the turntable has suddenly disappeared 2.43 min ... strange;)
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what brand/model that mysterious turntable was?
Thanks for sharing!
Don

JV gives a rave review to the Alumine 5…says in not so many words dynamics more natural than horns, bested cones with lots of tonal color and great bass. Slightly soft treble.

I think this is a great upcoming brand.

Reactions: Hyperion
JV gives a rave review to the Alumine 5…says in not so many words dynamics more natural than horns, bested cones with lots of tonal color and great bass. Slightly soft treble.

I first said back in 2016 or so that the Alumine 5 bested most cones. Also the bigger steinheim is excellent.

Reactions: Golum
I first said back in 2016 or so that the Alumine 5 bested most cones. Also the bigger steinheim is excellent.

But Gauder (with Vitus in Munich), Zellaton (as at audio arts not as at Munich), Avalon are excellent as well. Avalon very room fussy. Verity very nice and lower price too. And in small speakers at the same price I will take the audionec over steinheim alumine 5 having heard them in the same room at Anamighty

Reactions: bmarq

I have heard this speaker now many times as it is demoed frequently in Switzerland being a Swiss brand. It’s dynamics do not sound more realistic than a good horn but it does better a lot of cone/some speakers. You Fynes shoukd have comparable dynamics I would guess. Bass is not better or worse than a lot of other brands but mids are quite nice with the high sensitivity cone they use…a bit like a Supravox driver.

Steinheim bass is excellent compared to cones, well integrated too.

But Gauder (with Vitus in Munich), Zellaton (as at audio arts not as at Munich), Avalon are excellent as well. Avalon very room fussy. Verity very nice and lower price too. And in small speakers at the same price I will take the audionec over steinheim alumine 5 having heard them in the same room at Anamighty
My biggest issue with Stenheim is value, it is very expensive for the performance envelope it can deliver.

Reactions: KeithR
My biggest issue with Stenheim is value, it is very expensive for the performance envelope it can deliver.

That is true with most cones nowadays. I am just saying how it compares, if I have to buy I will buy a vintage tannoy over it for 15k but that's not current nor serviced not distributed. It is better than the bad horns that cost the same or more

That is true with most cones nowadays. I am just saying how it compares, if I have to buy I will buy a vintage tannoy over it for 15k but that's not current nor serviced not distributed. It is better than the bad horns that cost the same or more
I would probably go with the newest Living Voice OBX-RW4 over these for a highish sensitivity cone/some speaker…those sounded awesome in Munich with a good 300b amp. I don’t think a 300b would be enough for the Alumine 3 or 5…just a gut feeling but could be wrong. The LV is good value in today’s market.

I have not heard any Tannoys I would like to own…

I would probably go with the newest Living Voice OBX-RW4 over these for a highish sensitivity cone/some speaker…those sounded awesome in Munich with a good 300b amp. I don’t think a 300b would be enough for the Alumine 3 or 5…just a gut feeling but could be wrong. The LV is good value in today’s market.
a bit apples and oranges as the OBX doesn't have real bass. the Alumine 5 is a full range transducer.

LV isn't really sold in the US fyi

Reactions: Hyperion
isn't everything Swiss? to me it's a hard sell in the US at $72k when a Wilson Alexia is around $58k. People are going to cross shop the Stenheim with Wilson I imagine.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing