Audio Note UK vs Audio Japan Sonic Differences

In House stepped attenuator (Jinro)
Audio_Note_Ongaku_Jinro__17.jpg

Here is one of Kondo’s in house stepped attenuators.
IMG_1348.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Zeotrope
I hope not to get too off topic now. I have a brief comment/question on the subject of Kondo and preamps.

Before I built my Aries Cerat system, I used a Koda K10. Before that I had read a lot about Robert Koda and came across discussions about his preamps in some internet forums. In one thread I read about several Kondo users who had exchanged their preamps (including the M-1000) for Koda preamps. The tenor was: like Kondo sound, but more of everything.

A used K10 is now very affordable. It might be possible to build a good Kondo system (Kondo SUT, Kondo Phonopre and Kondo Poweramp) with it. Does anyone here have experience with this?

A used K10 is now very affordable. It might be possible to build a good Kondo system (Kondo SUT, Kondo Phonopre and Kondo Poweramp) with it. Does anyone here have experience with this?
I don’t know for sure but I think it’s possible. On the other hand if you’re going to have only one Kondo product it should be one of their preamps. IMHO preamp is more effective than others on defining sound characteristics.

I hope not to get too off topic now. I have a brief comment/question on the subject of Kondo and preamps.

Before I built my Aries Cerat system, I used a Koda K10. Before that I had read a lot about Robert Koda and came across discussions about his preamps in some internet forums. In one thread I read about several Kondo users who had exchanged their preamps (including the M-1000) for Koda preamps. The tenor was: like Kondo sound, but more of everything.

Kondo and koda are very different in sound. Also the Sigma MAAT driven by full Kondo was much superior to the one driven with Koda power amp, different room, and yes the one with koda was very good and the second best of the 4 Sigma MAAT systems I heard

Wow, the build quality of the Kondo is inspiring!
Not really, old quad two amps are the benchmark in operational safety and there are no disturbing noises at horn speakers 105db/1watt. no cable ties to attach capacitors. for me No Go in expensive amps. Exsample how you build amplifiers.2019-1-Quad_II_22_fertig_IMG_0461.jpg

Reactions: Salectric
The simplicity of the Quad II circuitry helps too.

Peter sounds like a nightmare to deal with professionally, and I’m sure Kondo-san, the genius that he was, was not an easy person to work with either.

I have many issues with Peter’s letter which simply are not true. Just to highlight one:
c.)The reality was and is that whilst the brand name originated in Japan, the ownership of the brand name had long since passed to ANUK through the way the original agreement was structured and the fact that the brand name recognition was paid for and created solely through ANUK efforts.
This is incorrect and is certainly not “the reality”. Brand name, if trademarked, belongs to the owner of the TM. It has nothing to do with who the investors are, and it certainly does not “pass to” to ANUK because of their efforts. That’s ridiculous.

Ultimately, I blame Kondo Japan for entering into an agreement which gave ANUK so many broad rights. Clearly, K-J did not have good legal advice. But I get it, Kondo was a brilliant engineer, not a business man.

I don’t see any evidence that Peter helped “create” the products, other than his assertion that he did. I think Peter has a high regard for himself, probably higher than is warranted. After all, if he really is so talented, why is he still selling derivatives of Kondo’s original designs?

Reactions: Golum and mtemur
Not really, old quad two amps are the benchmark in operational safety and there are no disturbing noises at horn speakers 105db/1watt. no cable ties to attach capacitors. for me No Go in expensive amps. Exsample how you build amplifiers.View attachment 118971
I would not consider this a good example of how you build amplifiers at all. It depends of course on the price point. Is this a $50K amp or a $5K amp? If it’s closer to the latter, then fine.

Metal on metal fittings are a bad idea, and I can easily see examples of inconsistent soldering.
You will never see either in a Kondo Japan component.

Attachments

• IMG_0636.jpeg
    IMG_0636.jpeg
    984.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0637.jpeg
    IMG_0637.jpeg
    248.6 KB · Views: 16
Peter sounds like a nightmare to deal with professionally, and I’m sure Kondo-san, the genius that he was, was not an easy person to work with either.

I have many issues with Peter’s letter which simply are not true. Just to highlight one:

This is incorrect and is certainly not “the reality”. Brand name, if trademarked, belongs to the owner of the TM. It has nothing to do with who the investors are, and it certainly does not “pass to” to ANUK because of their efforts. That’s ridiculous.

Ultimately, I blame Kondo Japan for entering into an agreement which gave ANUK so many broad rights. Clearly, K-J did not have good legal advice. But I get it, Kondo was a brilliant engineer, not a business man.

I don’t see any evidence that Peter helped “create” the products, other than his assertion that he did. I think Peter has a high regard for himself, probably higher than is warranted. After all, if he really is so talented, why is he still selling derivatives of Kondo’s original designs?

either way, Peter’s letter reads as if Kondo has the engineering talent, and he (Peter) has the business and finance angles and the brand name. As audiophiles, people should be looking for the engineering/sonics, not for businessmen.

either way, Peter’s letter reads as if Kondo has the engineering talent, and he (Peter) has the business and finance angles and the brand name. As audiophiles, people should be looking for the engineering/sonics, not for businessmen.
Just to be clear, Audio Note UK amps are primarily designed by Andy Grove, not Peter Q. Andy seems like a good audio engineer and ANUK output transformers were considered tough to beat (although crazy expensive) when they were available for DIY. Obviously, the Kondo Silver ones are also superb (made by Tango Or Tamura)..

Peter also conveniently leaves out the fact that his company was bankrupt! And also leaves out the quality issues that cast a negative light on Kondo Japan’s products.

In any case, at similar pricing, I do not see why ANUK is attractive. At all.

This particular pair is perhaps not a great illustration as it has clearly been modified with russian coupling caps.
After 60 years sometimes better to change components,when you want the same sound like orginal hunts cap go to russian, sprague vitamin q or siemens.
was just an example of the very clean construction. no cable mess and cable ties. I didn't do the restoration.

Reactions: analogsa
Obviously, the Kondo Silver ones are also superb (made by Tango Or Tamura)..
They're (silver transformers) %100 percent, absolutely, most definitely made in the house by Kondo. Unfortunately there is no Tango nor Tamura since 2014. Wavac bought the rights of the name Tango and use it AFAIK. Real continuation of Tango legacy is now “ISO” AFAIK.

Last edited:
What amplifier is this?
Diy Push pull 6c33 amp with russian tube double rectifier5Z8C(max 500mA current) runs at 200volt/ 200mAdsc_0013.jpg
Sorry for offtopic

They're (silver transformers) %100 percent, absolutely, most definitely made in the house at Kondo.
This is man that made the transformers(mr shiro yoshida)04.jpg

Now the cheapest Kondo amp is $42,500. I won’t advocate high prices but unfortunately when you aim the best it doesn’t come cheap.

Having a short product list like Kondo has brings concentration on better sound quality while 200 pages long AN UK product list can only bring mediocrity.
I don't know AN UK seems to be the jack of all trades and master of all, even in the entry-level price ranges.

I don't know AN UK seems to be the jack of all trades and master of all, even in the entry-level price ranges.
I’m not sure about that but I think AN UK is master of imitation. AN UK is like an imitation of a three star Michelin restaurant which includes Burger King menus in order to reach more customers.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing